2011 GP2 chassis

Posted by miffy 
2011 GP2 chassis
Date: July 05, 2010 11:58PM
Posted by: miffy
not sure if you have seen this but just spotted it on autosport [www.autosport.com]
Re: 2011 GP2 chassis
Date: July 06, 2010 12:09AM
Posted by: chet
I dont understand why it's going for the F1 car look.

Surley having similar tyres is good enough. Why cant they make it so its highly aero UNsensitive. So it does bring racing.

Havent the races steadily got worse in these machines? The first car was great, then it all went downhill with the winglets, louvres etc.

But also, do Dallara still make the chassis? Because that looks alot like the HRT front wing :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 06, 2010 12:25AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I dont understand why it's going for the F1 car look.

That was the briefing, apparently. So it's whoever is in charge of GP2 now days. I think it's Bernie, I haven't kept up with who owns what in regards to GP2, F2, etc

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 06, 2010 12:16PM
Posted by: casabonka
Wow, those chimney things behind the front wheels look riduculous!

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: July 06, 2010 08:37PM
Posted by: bestobritish
:( So ugly!

The original Gp2 car was a beauty and even though there has steadily been aero bits added on I think its one of the best looking single seaters and gives great racing.

fingers crossed this new body work wont ruin gp2.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: July 06, 2010 08:54PM
Posted by: J i m
Gp2 has pretty much always been a junior f1 car, they even used grooved tyres in it's first season.

It's pretty much the point in that it's supposed to be the closest to a f1 car, which is why you see it follow F1 trends and to be honest i kinda thought it would adopt the wider front wing etc.

Date: July 06, 2010 09:35PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
yeh i preffered the gp2 cars from 2005-2006 like when Hamilton was racing them. They provided great racing and I kind of agree with you Chet, seems recently with the changes it feels like there is less action than before.

Date: July 06, 2010 10:52PM
Posted by: Vandusk
best GP2 car was 2006. A real challenger.

I must see more pictures of the new chassis before I judge.
Date: July 07, 2010 04:00PM
Posted by: madotter
The nose cone looks like the F10...
Date: July 07, 2010 07:14PM
Posted by: loren
The earlier GP2 cars had ground effects to improve overtaking, but now it looks like they've gone away from that in favor of this horrible F1 look. Everyone making rules in racing has totally lost it over the past decade or so.
Date: July 09, 2010 10:24PM
Posted by: bestobritish
Hmm this..

or this..

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: July 09, 2010 11:36PM
Posted by: msater
Definitely the second picture. Today's F1 cars can look quite nice (Brawn, Williams 2010, Red Bull 2009) but that GP2 2011 car just looks horrible.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: July 10, 2010 12:26AM
Posted by: Peat
The first generation GP2 car was fabulous. It was then improved by sticking slicks on. 2006 provided some breathtaking racing.

The current car is dreadful. Plenty fast enough, but suffers from exactly the same issues as F1 cars. The new one looks like it will be more of the same.

Shame on GP2, and shame on Dallara.

Date: July 10, 2010 12:05PM

No where near as bad from this angle.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 11, 2010 10:11AM
Posted by: gav
Looks like a Sauber swallowed a Virgin F1 and then had a jet engine strapped to the back.
Date: July 11, 2010 06:00PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
It's the bargeboard and sidepod fences that make it look bad, the boxy front wing is only adding to the ugliness. Remove them and it wouldn't look so bad, redesign the front wing so it curves and it'd look a good car, and probably go quicker than the HRT cars too.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: July 11, 2010 07:52PM
A friend told me the GP2 action at Silverstone was poor with little overtaking...

Why make it worse?

after a rethink however, looking back over the series, a few years ago the driving talent was huge, and maybe that was what bought the good racing, now the talent seems to be lacking with no out-right star.

Date: July 12, 2010 07:58PM
Every series has poor races. I've seen BTCC races without overtaking, but you wouldn't say that was bad for it.

I don't understand why spec series don't enforce the Swift Mushroom Buster. It's not like they've copyrighted it, and it has proven to work.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 12, 2010 09:07PM
Good point, I guess it depends on how much the manufacturer want to pay for it's development, I imagine its certainly not a bolt on and go bit and would require alot of optimisation.

Date: July 13, 2010 01:07AM
Not sure about that. Swift fit it as standard on all of it's chassis that are for single make series now. Most of that is Japanese now days, but if they are selected as the new IndyCar chassis then it'll be on that too. If they select multiple chassis (and it's looking like that now), then they won't fit it. No point in making there own cars easier to over take if nobody else is. Announcement about the new Indy chassis is Wednesday.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy