Nigel Mansell hospitalised after Le Mans crash!

Posted by RebelWithoutaCause 
Nigel Mansell has been taken to hospital after crashing within minutes of the start of the Le Mans 24-Hour. His Ginetta-Zytek appeared to suffer a left-rear puncture and it hit the barriers nose-first at close to 200mph.

He was removed from the vehicle and carried on a stretcher to a waiting ambulance.

The Beechdean Mansell-run LMP1 Ginetta-Zytek was being driven by Mansell and his two sons, Leo and Greg.

Urgh. There was no @#$%& accident. The car was basically undamaged. Nigel was just being Nigel and whining about f**k all.

F**k Nigel. This race is awesome.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Re: Nigel Mansell hospitalised after Le Mans crash!
Date: June 13, 2010 07:49AM
Posted by: mortal
LOL, another epic fail post.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
I heard he had a concussion.
I expect he was just in shock at crashing his car. Again. He's very good at being melodramatic - remember Indy 1994? Practically pretended he was dead as he left the car. Pretty funny though.

[Website]
Date: June 14, 2010 02:00AM
Posted by: Slash
OMFG, i didn't know what to think but after looking at the video. is this guy even serious?

what a drama queen.. who was he trying to fool???
Date: June 14, 2010 09:36AM
Posted by: Fincent
The camera cuts to the car when it is already travelling backwards, so who knows what happened before. I was surprised there's no footage of how the accident started, because until we see that, we can't properly judge the accident.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: June 14, 2010 02:42PM
Posted by: gav
There was no obvious damage to the car, but then we can't see one side (though undoubtedly there will be photos around).

For all we know, he might have been smacked on the head by a marshals flag or a branch or anything.
There was a helicopter view of the car. Very little damage to the front end and right hand side. The only possible explanation was a blow to the helmet, which so far hasn't been mentioned. But given Nigels reputation for bullshitting to make everything into a drama, I couldn't care less. He was the worst of the ex-F1 drivers there by a mile and didn't prepare properly at all.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 14, 2010 08:05PM
Posted by: msater
and it hit the barriers nose-first

Wut? According to that video ^, the crash was a regular crash. So just Nigel trying to make people feel sorry for him. Again.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: June 15, 2010 06:41AM
Posted by: kubica2
nigel mansell was one of the best ever f1 drivers, certainly one of the best british, and much more enjoyable to watch then the likes of coulthard, hamilton and button. He was also the best overtaker when driving f1.
Date: June 15, 2010 08:10AM
I grew up idolising Mansell. Doesn't stop him being a moaning git though. ;-)
Date: July 10, 2010 12:28AM
Posted by: Peat
A chap i race with does a bit of part-time journalism, these are his thoughts:

[www.eddsport.co.uk]

Funny, and spot on in my eyes.

Date: July 10, 2010 01:26AM
Generally spot on until he gets to around half way, where he seems to develop a vendetta... so not spot on at all.

His lead in is good and even as a Mansell fan in the 80s and early 90s I generally agree with it, yet he just seems to come up with negatives, necessary or not.

"He then managed to knock himself out again at the end of the year when he was driving a Touring Car at Donington."
Yeah, he did that for the media coverage... it was a nasty crash at the time and horrific for a touring car.

"Remember the poor waif of a man who attempted to push his stricken Lotus across the line at Dallas in 1984?"
Says a man who's never left British land. I won't comment on Mansell himself in this instance, but even as a Northerner in England I'm @#$%& when I go to London and the heat it inevitably seems to bring. I can't begin to comprehend what a searing hot Dallas, even for the time of year, would bring to a mere Brit.

"The same guy who, having fluffed things during the 1992 Canadian Grand Prix"
OK... at least get the year right.

"Or the man who, in 2006 after a disastrous GP Masters race on home soil, went out especially to do a very slow lap just to wave at the crowd?"
The same guy who had 2 engine failures in practice, did about 15 minutes of practice in total, yet still drove his heart out in the race, to typical Mansell-mania? Someone read the headlines and didn't watch the race.

Sorry, I don't agree with the article at all. I won't argue that Mansell isn't a moaning cunt at all, but equally I'll defend his most profitable years saying the guy drove his heart out. Had you watched '86 and '87 then it surely sums up the guy.

I won't pretend I wasn't a fan at the time, and again won't protect his attitude off the track, but on the track the guy was something else. He never had the raw talent of Senna, Clark or Fangio and could never be counted as a great, yet he the guy did everything possible to maximise his career, including losing his house and possessions before it even started. That level of dedication goes way beyond what any current driver can claim - even Senna Schumacher who he raced at the time - the guy was both beyond his time yet before his time, stuck between eras. Can you see Vettel or Hamilton giving up their entire previous life and house to fund a seat in F1? Not a hope - the team would fund it.

Even as someone who grew up as a Mansell fan I don't particularly rate him, yet his determination at all points was something else (beyond when Ferrari disregarded him for a more marketable Prost).

I'm no longer a Mansell fan, but I cannot claim he didn't try more than any other driver throughout his F1 or Indycar career.
Meh, I generally agree with the article. And that doesn't even mention lots of the bollocks Mansell talked. Like how in Australia 1994, he watched Schumacher and Hill having the come-together, and held back so as not to get involved. Nigel possesses the ability to see through walls now, you see.

yet he the guy did everything possible to maximise his career

Well, not any more. His sportscar efforts have been pathetic, and screwing his entire team out of a race at Le Mans was just the lowest of the lows. He may have been a great driver back in the day, but now he's a selfish lying bastard who has no regards for his own family, nevermind his team or other drivers.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 10, 2010 01:08PM
Posted by: Damas
Spot on Gav! Couldn't agree more.

There are too many people quick to bash Mansell without ever having the pleasure to see the guy race. I suggest the knockers read his autobiography, it is a truly motovational piece. I too grew up like Gav idolising this guy because of his pure determination and never say die attitude, something which has left it's mark on me into my adult life.

I too watched on the edge of my seat in '86 and '87 which is why I started my love affair with F1. I was also stood on the banking looking down at Old Hall in '93 when Tiff Needell hit Mansell who was recoving from a fuel pump issue, IIRC, and was storming back up the field. The whole crowd moved down to Starkies Bridge and there was a real air of concern as the crowd quietened and waited to see if he was ok. Such was the draw of the guy in his prime, most people were there to see him and all there were very concerned, not there to knock him as people like to do so much now-a-days.

He was meant to be racing in the TVR Tuscan Challenge later in the day too so how can anybody suggest it was for Media coverage? I was lucky enough to be a guest of Colin Blower Motorsport (the then curent TVR Tuscan Challenge Champion) and I remember him saying how quickly Mansell had adapted. I still rue the crash he had as he was set to visit Colin's Hospitality area later in the day and so I robbed of meeting my Hero.

Yes he was not as naturally tallented as Senna and Prost at the time but just like Graham Hill before him he more than made up for it in sheer determination and gave his all to his fans including sending me a very personal letter and some goodies when I wrote to him as a 6 year old boy. Other than perhaps Vettel most of the drivers appear too busy with their PR now adays to give up their time for Fans. Somthing Mansell was as passionate about as they were of him.

So let's not keep bashing the guy hey? Yes he likes to voice his opinion, but just give him the respect he deserves in what he achieved.
So let's not keep bashing the guy hey?

To be fair, this thread is about his Le Mans crash, which was one of the most pathetic displays of acting the world has ever seen. The problem isn't his voicing of opinion (something I like in a driver anyway), or what he achieved (which was brilliant), it was the fact he cost the team a dream race just to put on his pathetic pity story again. I don't think he can be bashed enough for ruining what should have been a wonderful weekend for everyone involved.

Edit: Jesus christ, speak of the devil. Talking sh*t on the BBC atm. The car had 4 impacts, all over 150mph each, he was knocked out with a serious concussion. So he then went on a bike ride, during which he lost his vision.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2010 01:43PM by DaveEllis.
Date: July 10, 2010 01:43PM
Did you just see his explanation on the BBC?

Case closed
Damas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you just see his explanation on the BBC?
>
> Case closed

For a car which hit at 200mph, 180mph, 160mph, there was remarkably little damage to...well, all of it. Maybe, just maybe, he's talking bollocks.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 10, 2010 01:58PM
Yeah, maybe.

But maybe he knows a little bit more of what happened than any of us.

I had an accident at 60mph a few years ago. The kart still ran because I went in square on to the rear. I still ended up in physio for 3 months because I lost feeling in my right hand due to a trapped nerve. At 200mph plus further high speed impacts weather the car is together or not (because it hit side on from what I've seen which wouldn't cause the bodywork to rip off) the damage on your body will be massive
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy