Audi unveils the R15 'plus'

Posted by Raikkonenfan 
Audi unveils the R15 'plus'
Date: March 16, 2010 03:55PM
Posted by: Raikkonenfan
Audi banks on efficiency at Le Mans - Evolution of R15 TDI diesel race sports car - In-depth testing program in the United States and Europe - TAG Heuer is new Audi partner in LMP1 project

Ingolstadt, March 15, 2010 – Audi will fight for victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours on June 12/13 with an evolution of the R15 TDI diesel race sports car. An extensive testing program with the revised LMP1 vehicle has just begun in the United States.

"From Audi’s perspective, the LMP1 is the better alternative to Formula 1 because this motorsport category features technologies and developments which are relevant to production vehicles,” explains Head of Audi Motorsport Dr. Wolfgang Ullrich. "At Le Mans, efficiency is of paramount importance – and today, more than ever before, it is a key deliverable of production vehicles as well and it is one of Audi’s special strengths.”

Therefore, efficiency was a focal point during the R15 TDI evolution project – particularly in the complex area of aerodynamics. "This year, the Le Mans regulations prescribe air restrictors with a smaller diameter and reduced supercharging pressure for diesel-powered vehicles,” says Dr. Martin Mühlmeier, Head of Technology at Audi Sport. "Due to the reduction of engine power as a result of the regulations we have tried to make the car’s aerodynamics even more efficient than before and to improve the Cd value and downforce parameters.”

A late change in regulations that was announced only in November made the work of the engineers more difficult and forced Audi to completely modify the front section of the R15 TDI. Consequently, the diesel race sports car that is internally designated as "R15 plus” now has a new, distinctive face featuring a split nose.

The entire shape of the R15 TDI’s body has been revised for maximum efficiency. The same is true for the modified cooling and fuel tank system. The V10 TDI engine has been optimized for the smaller air restrictors and reduced supercharging pressure. "Our objective was to keep power loss to a minimum despite the limitations imposed by the regulations,” explains Ulrich Baretzky, Head of Engine Technology at Audi Sport. "We managed to do that through a lot of detailed work.” The 5.5-liter power plant continues to deliver more than 440 kW.

"After Le Mans 2009, our specifications for the R15 plus listed about 20 key items,” says Dr. Martin Mühlmeier. "Efficiency and reliability were at the top of the list but we also looked at details like improved nighttime lighting of the track. We were able to meet this wish of the drivers with a new headlight concept.”

The evolution version of the Audi R15 TDI completed its roll out on the Audi test track at Neustadt (Germany) on March 3. The vehicle was subsequently flown to the United States for two weeks of in-depth testing. Before the race at Le Mans in June, Audi Sport Team Joest will complete an extensive testing program on various European race tracks and test races at the 8 Hours of Le Castellet (France) on April 11 and at the 1000-kilometer race at Spa-Francorchamps (Belgium) on May 9.

A new partner has now joined the project: the logo of the renowned watchmaker TAG Heuer will be featured on the Audi R15 TDI. Some of the brand’s fame stems from U.S. actor Steve McQueen wearing a TAG Heuer watch in the movie "Le Mans.”

Source: Audi Motorsport

In my opinion, sexy, hope its pace 'll be able to win Le Mans!!

Re: Audi unveils the R15 'plus'
Date: March 16, 2010 04:49PM
Posted by: rocker
Those Audi's (is it right to use the ' ?) were always sexy, but in black it is hotter!!!

--------------------------------------------
Rocker
Date: March 16, 2010 04:54PM
Posted by: msater
Here's a bigger picture of the nose :)

Looks good! Le Mans is going to very interesting this year, mainly because Peugeot think they have the upper hand now they've won.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: March 16, 2010 04:54PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Looks like batmobile.
Date: March 16, 2010 08:50PM
Posted by: loren
Looks like the fork I eat my dinner with. Don't think I like it as much as the previous one.
Date: March 16, 2010 11:20PM
Posted by: Slash
looks intimidating!
Date: March 17, 2010 01:29AM
Posted by: Naboo
looks like its gradually splitting into 2 f1 cars

"Arguing on the internet is like taking part in the Special Olympics...Even if you win you're still retarded"
Date: March 17, 2010 10:58AM
Posted by: chet
Looks alot more 'clean' than the last which is a good thing for le mans!! Front splitter is quite interesting too!

These guys really need to make an F1 car though! They've taken the crash structure and made it into something beautiful and I imagine a scary looking thing in the mirror! Obviously didnt want the cost of having to change it, so just made it into an engineering masterpiece!

All I can say is, once again Audi produce a very good looking car and no doubt, it will be as quick as it looks!

Just a thought on their old car... would anyone agree it looked asif it were designed more around a season rather than just le mans?? I was amazed at the amount of outlets and louvers and couldnt help but think they aint gonna do any favours for top-end.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 17, 2010 04:39PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Here's another pic I've found of it

Date: March 17, 2010 05:01PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
Stop trolling.

Be serious.

This is part of a new set of vehicles built for new Batman movie. Here's the plane:

Notice the similarities.
Date: March 17, 2010 08:27PM
Posted by: Team CLR
Yeah, the R15+ would actually make a cool batmobile..

Date: March 27, 2010 03:24PM
Posted by: slider
Same designer?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: March 28, 2010 01:26AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Nope. One is Williams, the Audi is Dallara.

Rocky crashed the only R15+ earlier this week.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 31, 2010 09:08PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
how come some cars are open cockpit and others enclosed?

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: June 01, 2010 10:05AM
rapid_f1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> how come some cars are open cockpit and others
> enclosed?

Next year (2011 :P) all LMP1's have to be closed cockpit AFAIK, which means Audi are going to need a new car or an upgrade to R15+.

Date: June 02, 2010 09:56AM
Posted by: J i m
I can't clarify this.... but I think the coupe change may have been dropped.

Date: June 02, 2010 12:03PM
I thought so too....

I know some sort of dorsalfin/sharkfin is manadatory next year though ...

Date: June 05, 2010 07:33PM
Hmm OK, I'll have a look at that, thanks guys for the info!

Date: June 13, 2010 03:13PM
1-2-3.

Pug stuffed it up!

Date: June 13, 2010 04:14PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
A fascinating edition of the 24H! Peugeot provided the entertainment, but couldn't sustain it. All of their cars could have won it. I don't know if Davidson made any friends though, spinning and crashing with other class cars.

A pity for #7, which could have won as well if it wasn't for Priaulx.

J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't clarify this.... but I think the coupe
> change may have been dropped.

I haven't got a link, but yes, I'm fairly sure the open cars will still be allowed.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy