Indycar to streets of São Paulo!

Posted by Made in Brazil 
Indycar to streets of São Paulo!
Date: November 26, 2009 06:47PM
Posted by: Made in Brazil
The city of São Paulo will stage the opening round of the 2010 IZOD IndyCar Series season.

Scheduled for March 14, the event represents the return of Indy-style racing to Brazil thanks to the partnership between the São Paulo municipality, the Indy Racing League and TV Bandeirantes and BandSports.

"The arrival of the IZOD IndyCar Series confirms São Paulo's nature of staging great worldwide events. It is a gift to the citizens of São Paulo who will be able to watch up close great racecars and drivers. It is also a great opportunitty for business for the city that becomes the capital of motoracing in Latin América," said Mayor Gilberto Kassab.

The event marks the first IZOD IndyCar Series street race in Brazil. São Paulo is already home to the Brazil Formula 1 Grand Prix staged at the Interlagos racetrack. Now the city concentrates two of the most important motorsports events worldwide.

"While our primary focus continues to be building the sport of the IZOD IndyCar Series domestically, the race in São Paulo affords us a unique opportunity to visit a country that has a huge passion for open-wheel racing. With strong support from our major partner Aprex-Brasil, a significant television package from TV Bandeirantes, a large number of drivers from the country and the opportunity for a unique course, it makes sense from both a business and competition standpoint," said Terry Angstadt, president of the commercial division for the sanctioning Indy Racing League.

The IZOD IndyCar Series has a long history of Brazilian driver participation since its founding in 1996, including this year's field highlighted by three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Helio Castroneves, 2004 IndyCar Series champion Tony Kanaan, veteran driver Vitor Meira, and up-and-coming IndyCar Series stars Raphael Matos, the 2009 Apex-Brasil IndyCar Series Rookie of the Year, and São Paulo native Mario Moraes.

Woooooo! maybe i will go! but i prefered interlagos ;-)

Re: Indycar to streets of São Paulo!
Date: November 26, 2009 10:18PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Made in Brazil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Woooooo! maybe i will go! but i prefered
> interlagos ;-)

Apparently the IndyCar/F1/FIA contracts don't allow Indy to run at Interlagos. But street circuits are awesome anyway.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 27, 2009 09:10AM
Posted by: chet
I thought they wanted to hold talks with Bernie about the possibility of running Interlargos? Would be quite awesome if it could happen. Also could give us a good comparison between the two series. A while back radiolemans did their own comparison of speeds with different series. IRL came below GP2, and im sure F2 with regards to laptime.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 27, 2009 10:07AM
F2 cars are 12-15 seconds slower around Spa than GP2, I *seriously* doubt that IndyCars are that slow. Letting Radio Le Mans do a comparison of any motorsport is a bad plan anyway.

If you want a comparison then look at it this way. The Dallara is a couple of seconds slower than the Panoz DP01, which beat the Toyota "lap record" of Laguna Seca in an F1 car. Of course the Toyota was capable of much more as it was just a demonstration run, so for arguments sake, lets say the F1 record would have been 3 seconds faster than the Toyota did, which to me sounds reasonable. So lets make the Dallara 5 seconds off an F1 car. Sounds like a lot until you take into account that the Dallara is now 7 (!) years old and has only undergone minor updates in that time, and the road course package was a bodge job since the chassis was dedicated to ovals.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 27, 2009 12:40PM
Posted by: senninho
Wasn't the DP01 nearly 10 seconds slower than F1 when they raced at Montreal? Or am i getting my numbers completely wrong?

Date: November 27, 2009 02:15PM
Posted by: chet
If your interested...

[forums.autosport.com]

[www.radiolemans.com] - MWM, Series 4, ep 29 if the link below does not work.

[audio.mpix.org.uk]

Again, not sure how they based their figures exactly and not too sure how accurate but its an interesting listen.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 27, 2009 02:53PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Apparently the IndyCar/F1/FIA contracts don't
> allow Indy to run at Interlagos. But street
> circuits are awesome anyway.

Well hopefully the IndyCar contract doesn't allow F1 to run on the street circuit, because it might give Bernie ideas...

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 27, 2009 09:57PM
senninho Wrote:
> Wasn't the DP01 nearly 10 seconds slower than F1
> when they raced at Montreal? Or am i getting my
> numbers completely wrong?

The DP01 never ran at Montreal.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 29, 2009 01:03AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
DaveEllis Schreef:
> F2 cars are 12-15 seconds slower around Spa than
> GP2, I *seriously* doubt that IndyCars are that
> slow. Letting Radio Le Mans do a comparison of any
> motorsport is a bad plan anyway.
>
> If you want a comparison then look at it this way.
> The Dallara is a couple of seconds slower than the
> Panoz DP01, which beat the Toyota "lap record" of
> Laguna Seca in an F1 car. Of course the Toyota was
> capable of much more as it was just a
> demonstration run, so for arguments sake, lets say
> the F1 record would have been 3 seconds faster
> than the Toyota did, which to me sounds
> reasonable. So lets make the Dallara 5 seconds off
> an F1 car. Sounds like a lot until you take into
> account that the Dallara is now 7 (!) years old
> and has only undergone minor updates in that time,
> and the road course package was a bodge job since
> the chassis was dedicated to ovals.

Figure out how fast the old Champcar was around Montreal compared to f1 car, figure out how fast the old champcar is compared to the Panoz, and you've got your numbers, looking at a demostration lap doesn't say alot, wasn't even the best car, best driver, best tyres combo and then there's the thing how hard did he push, could be well over 3 seconds I'd say.

Date: November 29, 2009 01:08AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Not being funny, but this is a genuine question.

Is this safe? I know when F1 visits Inter, many people are mugged and a couple of times team members have been held up by armed robbers.

I'm all for street racing, but you wouldn't hold it in Tel Aviv, for example, is Sao Paulo really that much better?
Date: November 29, 2009 01:18AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Searched it out abit, Champcar in 2006 (that was with the old chasis, looking at times though the new Panoz chasis is a little slower then the old chasis) 5 seconds slower then F1 at Montreal (in 2008), the Indycar Dallara is about 3-4 seconds slower then that old Champcar chasis, making Indycar about 9 seconds slower at Montreal I would estimate.
But, that F1 time is from 2008, if you would want the fastest F1 time at Montreal you would be getting another 5 seconds faster in 2004, so 2004 F1 cars are about 13-14 seconds faster then Indycar would be at Montreal.
Still, Indycar is faster then GP2 and F2 and probably the fastest racing series on the planet after F1, circuit racing that is.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2009 01:31AM by Iceman-Kimi.
Date: November 29, 2009 04:28AM
The final variation of the DP01, which was upgraded by a 3rd party to solve the massive issues the car displayed was a second faster than the Lola around a 1 minute lap. The dallara is about 2 seconds back on that.

As I said though, this whole discussion is pointless. F1 cars are designed to be as fast as possible in what are relativly open regulations. The dallara is currently a spec chassis, built 7 years ago to relativly tight regulations which at the time dictated it as a dedicated oval chassis. It'd undergone a whole bunch of changes (including a bodged road course setup) which slowed the car in the name of good racing.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 04, 2009 07:40PM
Posted by: Lex
loque schrieb:
> Is this safe? I know when F1 visits Inter, many
> people are mugged and a couple of times team
> members have been held up by armed robbers.
>
> I'm all for street racing, but you wouldn't hold
> it in Tel Aviv, for example, is Sao Paulo really
> that much better?

Don't know how the press shows São Paulo out there, but it's not like we are mugged and raped every day by everyone we see on the streets. There sure are dangerous neighborhoods here. I don't know where the circuit will be, but I doubt it'll be in one of them. Besides, there'll be elections for president and state governor next year, so the current government will (probably) want to make sure that everything goes ok.

Um dois três quatro cinco seis sete oito nove dez
Eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Один два три четыре пять шесть семь восемь девять десять
Date: December 05, 2009 02:21AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
They say it looks like the circuit gonna pass in between Anhembi, it'll look pretty epic if full stands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2009 02:22AM by Rodrigo007.
Date: December 12, 2009 01:37PM
Posted by: Rod_vs
Absolutely brillant!! Now, the IndyCar's world will know a real crowd!! ;)

One Racing driver and team manager
GPGSL-3: champion in 2007/2013/2014!
GPGSL-4: testdrivers champion in Season 11!
Date: January 10, 2010 03:57AM
Posted by: Fincent
Date: January 15, 2010 09:06AM
Posted by: Peat
Date: January 26, 2010 04:46PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Not a particularly inspiring layout, but I like the idea of the location.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 28, 2010 06:59PM
Posted by: Lex
Imo it'd be better around the Ibirapuera park, but meh.

Um dois três quatro cinco seis sete oito nove dez
Eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Один два три четыре пять шесть семь восемь девять десять
Date: February 03, 2010 04:54AM
Posted by: mr.napa-br
Virtual lap:

Pretty much your average street circuit... lots of 90º bends, quite stop-and-go-ish... I also think that Ibirapuera would be a better place, but still, I'm quite excited about it =]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy