Superleague Formula - Donington Aug 2nd

Posted by Peat 
Superleague Formula - Donington Aug 2nd
Date: July 22, 2009 11:50PM
Posted by: Peat
Didn't hear anything about this last year. Now they stream it through thier website, i have watched everyrace this season.

Once you get over the ridiculous football theme, this series is great! The cars are fast and the noise is breath-taking (4.2L V12!!!!!!). Some decent drivers, reverse grids etc makes for super entertainment. The support package is great too! (FIA Historic F1, Jedi, Superkart, FFord)

And.... For the UK leg, Liverpool are giving out free tickets on a first-come-first-serve basis:
[www.liverpoolfc.tv]

Be there!

Re: Superleague Formula - Donington Aug 2nd
Date: July 23, 2009 04:10AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Flamengo sucked up with Bernoldi, it isn't fun until we're winning!
Date: July 23, 2009 02:09PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I'm amazed it's still alive. Not because it's football, but because it's a Panoz tub. Since CCWS kicked the bucket, this is actually the most successful Panoz series now, lol.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 23, 2009 04:07PM
Posted by: chet
Im amazed it even got this far simply because of the football idea.

What is wrong with the Panoz tub? I remember people having issues with it being in 'two halves' as such, however I know for a fact that F1 tubs are manufactured in the same way. A top section and a bottom section, and many other sections which are joined to those two.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 23, 2009 04:40PM
What is wrong with the Panoz tub?

Everything. Just wait for the Panoz trademark spinal injury from a relativity small accident. If the series is still around (or still using Panoz tubs) at that point.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 23, 2009 09:35PM
Posted by: chet
Is it the same tub as in the old G-Force IRL cars, and the DP-01? I know the chassis suffered cracks at that track with the jump!! Dont know the name. Thats fair enough, a chassis is tested for its strength along a horizontal plane and I imagine a jump then landing cant be great for the chassis or mounting points. I know Tracy got injured, but surley they found the problem and have solved it for this car?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 23, 2009 10:12PM
The Panoz never ran at San Jose when it had the tram line issue. The Lola ran there and had no problems what so ever, other than the obvious, the drivers complaining the cars were taking off.

The Panoz was introduced in 2007, and on the first DAY suffered structural problems at Las Vegas. With no other chassis avaliable they simply patched them up (no joke) and took them to Long Beach, where they continued to have issues, and Figge and Tracy suffered spinal injuries in low speed accidents.

Add to that all the other issues. The electrics didn't work, the fuel tank didn't vent properly, making it impossible to refuel the car correctly, the starter motor didn't work, because they had to fit a smaller one due to the lack of space at the back despite the car being the size of a small planet.

The Panoz chassis was chosen for the same reason it's always chosen - it is cheap. There is a reason it's cheap too - it's crap. It has been slowly phased out of IRL as Dallara has continued to produce enough chassis to make it a viable option for everybody. And thank god for that, because almost every IRL injury was in the Panoz.

Some of the Lola chassis had done over 50 race distances by the time they were retired. The Panoz couldn't even cope with 1.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2009 10:14PM by DaveEllis.
Date: July 24, 2009 01:18AM
Posted by: Peat
I guess that makes sense with the tracey accident at Turn1 Long BEach in 07. I just cant beleive a defective chassis made it so far.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy