Le Mans 2009 Roll Call

Posted by Peat 
Le Mans 2009 Roll Call
Date: June 05, 2009 05:36PM
Posted by: Peat
Its that time of year again! Which GPG'ers are making the pilgrimage this year?

Pack your water-proofs!

Re: Le Mans 2009 Roll Call
Date: June 07, 2009 07:26AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Me, Sasjag, Villarule, Stan (ebi) will be there with more from TRL.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 14, 2009 04:00PM
Posted by: chet
Great race. It's what should have happened last year tbh.

About the Audi, must be very disapointing to be so unable to take the fight to the Pugs.

Audi had put all their effort into lemans (budget reasons?) and it has hurt them imo. The car is not yet fully understood and against a 3 year old, well engineered 908 it stood no chance.

One thing, the R8, R10's were all very sleek and you could visually see they would be good straight line cars.

imo, based on the limited amount of aerodynamics iam learning, have learnt the R15 looks like a much more high downforce machine, but perhaps more importantly, to me a more inherently draggy machine as opposed to the R10 and 908. The amount of openings exit and inlets was quite amazing, also the size. I think even the Aston had better straightline speed than the R15.

To me, from the go the R15 always looked like an lmp built for the series rather than the that single track. But what do I know? I base my opinion on the looks, and the speed trap, I do not have any data to read and assess but how many would disagree that the 908 and even the R10 look more so orientated to low-drag whilst the R15 looks more so orientated towards downforce? Then again next year I will most probably be proven wrong. Its an obvious improvment in all areas over the R10 (track data and windtunnel data would have proved a long time ago!), and like anything as complicated it will take time to work together properly.

Anyway, great race. Was going for the #008 Aston, but struck badluck. Good race for them overal imo. Good race for the Oreca of Panis etc, shame about Sennas car, didnt quite catch what happened to them though. He seemed to have driven well which is good :)!

Lap after lap, the more it was shown the more I fell in love with the Aston. Best looking car this year, only because the dome wasnt there though ;)!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 14, 2009 07:05PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
Aston Martin was running with very low downforce; to keep up with the diesels on the straight, but they where blown away in the Porsche curves and other bends.

The Audi R15 does has a little less power then the Peugeot, but in theory it should have more downforce, though, Audi drivers where complaining about understeer, which caused the tyres to go faster.

Also the front end design looked like it caused the Audi to scoop up dirt and debry's, which blocked the radiators after a while, that's the reason they needed to clear the radiator's once in a while and losing time in the pits.

Peugeot seemed to have learned from their mistakes, their car seems to be quite bullet proof now, the problems of number 7 and 8 where caused by driver mistakes/lollipop man mistakes, while the number 9 was slower all race, I can't seem to remember it being in the pitbox for something else then tyres/fuel/driver change, so very well done to the number 9 car, finally another winner then Audi hehe :P

Looking at how the Audi R15 goes, I think with some development the 908 can do another year, with in 2011 Peug using their new hybrid challenger.

Also well done to the Aston 007, the Oreca in fifth, the Essex RS Spyder, Risi Competizione in GT2 and also the Spyker team did a good solid run, finally finishing the 24 hour in fifth place, in front of all the Porsches and the Aston Martin, who seem to have problem after problem..

Date: June 16, 2009 12:45PM
Posted by: Zcott
Cars scooping up debris is nothing new at Le Mans. The Peugeots have been plagued with it for a while, so this year they installed easily-replaceable radiators which could be switched out in a couple of minutes. Doesn't really solve the problem but it's a useful workaround.

Peugeot have had the faster car over the last few years but had this awful French habit of Peugeoting it and managing to lose the race to the way-better-organised Germans. This year, however, with a new team manager and a couple of new drivers, the 908 finally delivered. Shame about the 7 car; it was running 4-5 seconds a lap faster than anyone else for most of the race - showing that even the leading cars had more to give - but had it not been for the incident with the Pescarolo, it could well have been a Peugeot 1-2-3.

Date: June 16, 2009 02:59PM
What was the problem with changing the noses all the time for Audi?
Were they just hunting for more/less front grip?

Date: June 16, 2009 03:39PM
Posted by: Zcott
Someone had suggested that each nose was designed with a specific temperature in mind, so when it got cooler at night they'd strap on a different nose for the optimum amount of downforce. Whether that's true or not, I'm not sure. Either way, that car just didn't have the speed of the Peugeot.

Date: June 16, 2009 09:23PM
They had understeer in the beginning Chet, that's why they changed nose all the time to get a better balance.

Date: June 18, 2009 01:24AM
Posted by: MattB
After the Number 3 Audi was effectivly out of the running, they used that to test different setups and changes, and any apparent improvement was put onto the Number 1 car.

Credit to Peugeot, they had Audi panicked this year, and well beaten.

Date: September 26, 2009 12:05AM
Petit Le mans this weekend!

Quick Nic on pole!!

Its both the 908's ahead of both the R15's, then the Acura, then the heavily updated Oreca which is a stunning car!

I expected the R15's to totally dominate! I dont know why because the 908 has proved an effective circuit racer aswell as Le man winner. Has looked pretty close though.

Once again doesnt really look asif Acura will do anything to challenge the top. But qualifying is pretty pointless anyway!

If Peugeot win, I reckon could be good reason for Audi to start racign their R15 in the ALMS and LMS. There was talk I think!!!! Obviously the 908 is in its prime whereas the R15 is still very new!!

Date: September 26, 2009 10:36AM

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

One very broken Acura.....

Date: September 26, 2009 12:32PM
:o!!!!!

Seen the pictures but thanks for that vid!!

What caused the accident? I heard he touched another car? going up the crest, looked abit airbourne...

Date: September 26, 2009 12:38PM
He hit the Porsche, which was exiting the pit lane. The speed difference, the divider wall, the up hill and the large wheel arches on the Acura means he never even seen the car, or had the slightest idea it was there.

Highcroft received the new tub yesterday.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2009 01:06PM by DaveEllis.
Date: September 27, 2009 08:51AM
What an anti-climax, and undeserved winners.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 27, 2009 10:14AM
I was hoping to see BMW snatching victory in GT2, but Risi made a right call on tyres right at the end :( oh well. About Peug, bad start, but after that they made up alot of ground, so I wouldn't say undeserved.

Date: September 27, 2009 10:23AM
About Peug, bad start, but after that they made up alot of ground, so I wouldn't say undeserved.

They didn't make up any ground. McNish was less than 50 yards away from putting both Peugeots a lap down. The yellow saved them when the Doran GT lost it's engine cover for the second time. Peugeots made up all it's time from that yellow. Had the cover came off 30 seconds later, McNish would have won the race.

Peugeot also screwed up the tyre choice. It rained and they pitted a lap late, and McNish again took the lead. They were some 20 seconds back after losing 40 seconds (!!) on the in lap. They again got saved by the yellow as a couple of cars went off and the Drayson Lola got stuck in the final corner.

The winner of the race was decided by who spun under SC when. Both Audis and both Peugeots had offs under the final yellow. The Peugeots had there offs first, and due to having several laps on the cars behind, lost no positions. When McNish had his (Werner also had one, but he was on a lap on his own, so it was meaningless) he lost the positions to the Peugeots. They then stopped the race and Peugeot won. The #2 Audi made 2 tiny mistakes. One was spinning under Safety Car - he was one of at least 8 cars which did that, so can hardly be faulted on it. And overshooting the pit box and having to be rolled back, costing about 5 seconds but no positions.

It was undeserved since at no point were they faster than the #2 Audi. They twice were saved by lucky yellow flags. The only reason they won is they had their offs first, and McNish had his afterwards. That was one of the luckiest sports car victories I've ever seen.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2009 10:24AM by DaveEllis.
Date: September 27, 2009 10:30AM
Maybe, but in the end of the day you need luck anyway to win, maybe Audi deserved it more, but in the end didn't. In my eyes it would only be undeserving if Peugeot punted the Audi off, but they didn't. But I can see your point.

Date: September 27, 2009 10:12PM
Dave, as an elder-statesman of the community, why are you acting like some kind of Audi fanboy? Yes, they were infinitly better than Pug, but the Pug's won. Its hardly like it's the first time the slower guy won a race. I thought you of all people would be the first to acknowledge that?

Date: September 27, 2009 10:56PM
I don't care that the Pugs won. But I care that the rules were thrown out of the window by IMSA in order to get Audis streak broken.

Regulations state that a race is NOT official and NOT won unless 75% distance is covered. If the race is between 50% and 75% distance then half points are awarded. If less than 50% then it isn't even counted.

Petit ran less than 50% distance. IMSA stopped the race and then declared full points, despite the protests of the teams. They once again threw out the rule book in order to get diversity, just so they can say 3 manufacturers have won. It is yet another story in the farce of IMSA.

Add to that that they spent 4 hours saying "We're going green in 30 min!" and then eventually postponed it after stringing people along.

So yeah, maybe I feel a little bit cheated. The race was decided on a lottery under safety car, based on who was lucky enough not to spin at the wrong time. The reason the Peugeots were in contention was because they yellow flags fell perfectly for them to keep them from going a lap down. The race wasn't even official, but they've been given the official win in a complete contradiction to the regulations. And to top it off, IMSA lied for 4 hours about the weather, claiming there was a "gap in the weather" and they were "going green in 30 minutes", when there was no gap, and the only reason to claim there was is the same reason NASCAR pulls that stunt - to stop people changing over in an effort to keep the ratings up, since thats what decides what stays and what goes on US networks.

So yeah, feeling a bit cheated here.

Nothing I said was wrong anyway. So call it fanboy if you want, but it doesn't change the facts.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2009 10:57PM by DaveEllis.
Date: September 28, 2009 07:21AM
I tell you what, you know your stuff. I didn't know about the percentage completed thing. So, Petit isn't a stand-alone event? ALMS guys scored champ points to they?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy