Nascar discussion *Contains spoilers*

Posted by chet 
Re: Nascar discussion *Contains spoilers*
Date: October 18, 2009 09:26PM
Posted by: chet
Alot of good's in my post there!

Of the races ive watched got to say i think that track would be one of my favourites!

Also JPM was quite difficult to spot I thought with the blue. Very nice looking car but did not stand out as well as his red I thought.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 18, 2009 09:32PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Charlotte, Texas, Atlanta. All the same now days. Martinsville, Talladega next. At least it's some variety.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 26, 2009 05:28PM
Caught last 100 or so laps yesterday.

Good race again!

This is Montoya's second full season in Nascar isnt it? Already running well in the chase... surley things can only get better? He's got a good 10-15 years if he wants. Is it possible that next year he and his team will be in a similar posistion to what they are now in the chase and challenge for regular wins next year?? Can he be a multiple winner/champion?

Date: October 26, 2009 07:12PM
Posted by: tripleM
against the Hendrick juggernaut?

not very likely

Date: October 26, 2009 07:15PM
Nobody is going to beat the 48 car for awhile. They have the whole chase situation nailed. The rest of Hendrick can be beaten.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 27, 2009 12:04AM
Posted by: turkey_machine
If Johnson keeps winning the Chase, doesn't that kinda imply NASCAR's doing something wrong there, if one guy can dominate it?

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: October 27, 2009 12:06AM
Posted by: gav
Jenson Button won 6 of the first 7 races in the F1 season. Isn't that just the chase in reverse?
Date: October 27, 2009 01:50AM
No, it isn't.

The "chase" basically renders the first 26 races null and void for the top 12 guys in the championship. It means the rest of the field doesn't have anything to fight for for the last 10 races (except prize money and media coverage), and some lucky beggars can get into the pot instead of somebody who has the pace and tenacity to challenge at the front on a regular basis for the glory. But it also means that if you set the car up to be dynamite in the last 10 races and you deliver the goods, you have the glory, and everybody else is left trailing.

Jenson won 6 of the first 7 races and had points scoring places in all but one of the remaining races. Consistency as well as some outright speed won that championship, but the fastest guy won the championship. Johnson has one great race in the chase against the others who are left floundering, and they struggle to close the gap, because there's not enough races to eat away at the lead he's built. Kyle Busch proved last year that you can win as many races as you like, but if you don't finish the damn races you won't be there at the end when it counts.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Not exactly an unbiased article, but explains it clearly.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

Date: October 27, 2009 05:53AM
Posted by: Slash
i hope Jeff Gordon wins it..... he's the best american driver ever, and you can even see how much effort he puts in the end of races to finish up there
Martinsville was one good race for him, bad result, but he gave everything to come from the back
Date: October 27, 2009 10:04AM
If Johnson keeps winning the Chase, doesn't that kinda imply NASCAR's doing something wrong there, if one guy can dominate it?

It's NASCARs fault that Jimmie Johnson and his team are the best?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 27, 2009 01:40PM
It's wrong for one team to dominate all proceedings like Hendrick seem to be doing. Reminiscent of Ferrari earlier this decade. The difference between NASCAR and FIA in that respect is FIA changed things to shake up the order, NASCAR doesn't.

Date: October 27, 2009 02:10PM
How is it "wrong"? The best team is winning. What is wrong about that? The FIA didn't change ANYTHING to shake up the order. The order was shaken up from the rules not being grasped by teamsas well as some others, and the Ferrari dominance only ended because the dream team was coming to an end. Meanwhile NASCAR introduced an entire new car and rules package to go with it. Or is that not enough for you?

I don't like Jimmie Johnson, but if you want artificially close racing with the good cars getting penalised then go watch BTCC or some other generic touring car series. NASCAR is being dominated by Johnson (not Hendrick) because he and the 48 crew are by far the best combination that the series has seen for a long time. To somehow suggest that NASCAR is at fault for Jimmie being good is ridiculous.

I can't believe someone actually suggested that.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 27, 2009 03:08PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How is it "wrong"? The best team is winning. What
> is wrong about that? The FIA didn't change
> ANYTHING to shake up the order.

So the FIA points system went from 6 cars in points to 8 cars and 10-6-4 went to 10-8-6. This after Ferrari ran away with both championships in 2001 and 2002, 2001 with 4 races to go, winning in 2002 6 races from the end. 2005 they made tyres last a race which benefitted Michelin and hindered Bridgestone for all bar 4 races because the Ferrari-Bridgestone combo was tailored to short fast runs as demonstrated at France 2004.

> I don't like Jimmie Johnson, but if you want
> artificially close racing with the good cars
> getting penalised
NASCAR are doing that themselves, with the competition cautions that are ten-a-penny these days and magic penalties like Montoya got at Indy. Green-white-chequered has merits but means one chance or you're fecked.

> then go watch BTCC or some other
> generic touring car series.

Are you actually comparing NASCAR to BTCC? They're completely different series entirely.

> NASCAR is being dominated by Johnson (not Hendrick) because he and
> the 48 crew are by far the best combination that
> the series has seen for a long time. To somehow
> suggest that NASCAR is at fault for Jimmie being
> good is ridiculous.

Hendrick has ties through many NASCAR teams, privateer and works. They have the best engines, best support, more money than any other team, and the best drivers. They're dominating like Penske did in the 90s - because they're being allowed to. NASCAR has to decide whether it's right for the fans or not.

> I can't believe someone actually suggested that.

Believe it. I may spout s**t some days, but I couldn't resist this carrot.

Date: October 27, 2009 03:22PM
So the FIA points system went from 6 cars in points to 8 cars and 10-6-4 went to 10-8-6.

Except for when your winning, giving more points to the lower cars doesn't achieve anything. The 10-6-4 points system was out dated because it was deisnged for a series which had a couple of top teams and then half the grid fighting for the lower points. With how F1 developed, with the big teams at the top, and with reliability becoming an almost non-issue, the 6 points positions were locked out almost every weekend.

2005 they made tyres last a race which benefitted Michelin and hindered Bridgestone for all bar 4 races because the Ferrari-Bridgestone combo was tailored to short fast runs as demonstrated at France 2004.

Benefit Michelin? So I guess you are ignoring the fact they completely crippled the Michelin tyres after a complaint from Ferrari and Bridgestone and Hungary?

NASCAR are doing that themselves, with the competition cautions that are ten-a-penny these days and magic penalties like Montoya got at Indy. Green-white-chequered has merits but means one chance or you're fecked.

Wtf? Do you even know what a GWC is? GWCs have been around a hell of a lot longer than Jimmie Johnson has. It was reintroduced when too many races were finishing under caution. It has nothing to do with stopping dominance.

Are you actually comparing NASCAR to BTCC? They're completely different series entirely.

...what? No! I'm not! I'm doing the opposite.

Hendrick has ties through many NASCAR teams, privateer and works.

wtf? Works NASCAR teams? There are no works NASCAR teams!

They're dominating like Penske did in the 90s

Penske have never won a NASCAR Sprint Cup Championship, nevermind dominated an entire decade.

Believe it. I may spout s**t some days, but I couldn't resist this carrot.

You spout s**t all days, but this one takes the biscuit. You don't seem to know ANYTHING about NASCAR, but are here to lecture us on it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 29, 2009 09:22AM
Just saw on Atlas the NASCAR thread, and this weekend being Talladega. Had a quick read of the circuit and stuff to try learn myself. Looks like a cracker!

Date: October 30, 2009 01:18AM
Posted by: Red Sam
It would seem that AJ Allmendinger has been caught drink driving...

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: October 30, 2009 10:11PM

Holy @#$%&.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 31, 2009 01:45AM
Posted by: EC83
OMG, that's sexy.

Date: October 31, 2009 10:56AM
Posted by: Peat
is that for real? i thought all the detailing on the front of the cars were stickers?

Date: October 31, 2009 11:05AM
Those are stickers. Other than the bottom grill, the rest is solid.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy