Nascar discussion *Contains spoilers*

Posted by chet 
Re: Nascar discussion *Contains spoilers*
Date: February 20, 2011 11:36PM
Posted by: chet
What a race!!!!

Trevor has been awesome all week!!! What a guy and what a win! So cool and mature! He had an exellent race at Texas IIRC, and this is only 2nd race!

Monty got there in there in the end, 6th... was pushing Kurt, but the #99 came up quick and ruined their chances :p. Montoya had a few lucky escapes during the race, a good finish for him though. Hopefully he'll keep it up!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 21, 2011 01:07AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I hate this pair racing. There is too much luck involved with the bump drafting. The cars are so stable in this situation that you can even bump in the corners. But then every so often, one of the bumps doesn't work (from no fault of the driver), and it causes an accident.

I hope they fix it for Talladega.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 21, 2011 05:47PM
I was mixed about the 2 car draft at first but I think over the week it produced pretty good racing.

I persume the new bumper/new cooling will not effect how the cars run at every other tracks? Just the plate races?

The cars look so much nicer with the rounded bumpers! Pretty excited for this season! Best thing of all, racign every week :D!

Date: February 23, 2011 07:53PM
Posted by: loren
I thought it produced good racing - when they were actually racing. Way too many cautions, even more than the old pack style of racing.

Part of that I blame on guys being way to aggressive, especially early on in the race when it was totally unneccessary. But the fact is, no matter what you do to match the bumpers up or whatever, you can't have cars bumping each other - especially in the turns - and not expect crashes to be the result.
Date: February 24, 2011 05:43PM
The racing in the 500 was good because the higher air temps kept the cars in a bunch. Even when they were pair racing, there was still a group of 4 or 5 pairs at a time. In the Bud Shootout, when the temps were lower, the racing was terrible. Similar issues again in the 150s, and the Trucks and Nationwide. Having perfectly smooth tracks and bumpers which line up really allow the second car in line to be very accurate and aggressive at the same time.

When they get to Talladega it'll be even worse. It's even easier on the cars since it's wider and slightly more open (0.16 miles longer). Do whatever they need to do to stop it. Fit a massive whicker to the roof, change the restrictor plate. Whatever - just stop the cars running in pairs.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: March 07, 2011 12:26AM
The decision not to pit for the first caution today made Juans race. Since then I dont think he dropped below 7th and ran top5 for most of it!

Was gifted positions from Biffle and Harvick misfortunes but thats the name of the game! Strong start to the year :D!

Shout out for Ambrose too! Looked good all weekend :)!

Date: March 28, 2011 12:01AM
Posted by: Slash
thats how you do it!!!, thats how you @#$%& do it!!!!

HARVICK!!!!!!!!! what a driver that guy is, a pure racing driver..... that was insane!! what a finish!!
Date: March 28, 2011 08:49AM
Boring race, but brilliant finish!! I was just glad Kyle had two people get passed him :p

Date: March 29, 2011 02:51PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Kimi Räikkönen to nascar:

Raikkonen goes NASCAR
[www.ts.fi]

Turun Sanomat 29.3 2011 15:07:20

The world champion of Formula One and current rally star Kimi Raikkonen expands his field of experiences: The 31-year-old Finn is going to race in the most popular North American race series NASCAR

The spectacular NASCAR debut for Raikkonen will be already before the becoming summer. Kimi is going to carry on with WRC Rally, too. He has agreed to do eight more rallies this year.

With the world famous newcomer driver there will be also a brand new team to race in NASCAR level: ICE1 Racing. Raikkonen joins forces with Foster Gillett. He will be the major partner of the Finnish team.

American spirit
inspires Raikkonen

– I’m really looking forward to get there to familiarize to the world of NASCAR. I have been following it for a long time. I know, it’s a very tough and open top racing series. I just love the American spirit of racing. It feels just great to get involved with that. Obviously, it will be very challenging and great fun for me, Raikkonen assures to Turun Sanomat.
Date: March 29, 2011 04:38PM
Ermm.. Awesome!!!!! I just hope he has the patience to make it work in NASCAR. He wont just walk in and be quick.. it will take alot of work from his part. Though he's an F1 champ. Id be amazed if he doesnt do better than Danica, Speed, Jacques etc..

Hopefully he does start slow, races ARCA and trucks. Great news though! He'll bring alot of fans to sport too :)

Date: March 29, 2011 06:56PM
not sure if it's his style (Flipping cars lately seems to be :-p )... but have a feeling we'll se him soon coming back to Europe
Date: March 31, 2011 08:23AM
Id be amazed if he doesnt do better than Danica, Speed, Jacques etc..

Thing is, most of these open-wheelers never did that badly. Villeneuve was quite impressive, and very mature about it all. Scott Speed was average at best I suppose, but didn't deserve to be completely dropped from Red Bull. Danica has a had a couple of decent runs, but also some god awful runs too. Montoyas start was shakey at best, but he's really getting good at it. And now that Ganassis equipment has improved, and he has a better team mate in the shape of McMurray, he's really coming on great. Dario was dropped into the deep end far too early. He doesn't have as much of an adaptive driving style as Juan, but as proven with his pole positions in the Nationwide cars, when he gets them hooked up he can do it. But he was in Cup too early, and when he got injured that was basically it over for him.

But Kimi is teamed with Gillett though. And that has massive flashing red lights and alarm bells for me.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 04, 2011 05:36PM
Posted by: phatdaddy
Just remember that Kimi will be driving NASCAR trucks, not cars. He only has three races lined up so far. NASCAR seems to be the open wheel drivers career graveyard. Dario Franchetti had a hard time there, then went back to Indycars and won two championships.

Date: April 04, 2011 11:41PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Id be amazed if he doesnt do better than Danica,
> Speed, Jacques etc..
>
> Thing is, most of these open-wheelers never did
> that badly. Villeneuve was quite impressive, and
> very mature about it all. Scott Speed was average
> at best I suppose, but didn't deserve to be
> completely dropped from Red Bull. Danica has a had
> a couple of decent runs, but also some god awful
> runs too. Montoyas start was shakey at best, but
> he's really getting good at it. And now that
> Ganassis equipment has improved, and he has a
> better team mate in the shape of McMurray, he's
> really coming on great. Dario was dropped into the
> deep end far too early. He doesn't have as much of
> an adaptive driving style as Juan, but as proven
> with his pole positions in the Nationwide cars,
> when he gets them hooked up he can do it. But he
> was in Cup too early, and when he got injured that
> was basically it over for him.
>

Ive been quite impressed by Danica so far actually. I expected her to be awful constantly but she's taken quite a mature approach to the racing and has done a reasonable job :).

And yeah, looking at some videos of previous races, Montoya was pretty awful to begin with! Had some good qualifying sessions but just couldn't race!

Im glad Kimi has gone with Busch. He might be a prick but he's good and im sure will be a good guide for Kimi. Plus Kimi will have the best equipment and people available to him, should make the transition that little bit easier! I really cant wait till he gets in one of these cars!

My only issue is, can you really imagine Kimi at the end of a race thanking the 100million sponsors on his car :p? Thats the one thing that bugs me about the sport, and its just how sponsor coverage there is, and how much the drivers have to expose it. Its always the "Target Ganassi Chevrolet" or something :p.

Martinsville was an okay race. This year Kyle seems to be well on it. Got to say, though im not a fan of his he is such an amazing driver, he seems to be on top wherever, whenever.

I was glad Ganassi got the call right with Montoya. IMO pit strategy has been one of their weak points (along with JPM's poor temperament) but here they got it bang on when it counted :)! A great start to the season!

Date: April 17, 2011 11:03PM
Posted by: Alesi no1
That was the closest finish i have ever seen!!..Awesome stuff,Go Jimmie:)
Date: April 29, 2011 11:48AM
Posted by: vesuvius
Kimi Raikkonen's test at Gresham Motorsports Half Mile track was as fast as the best, but he needed a faster track more like Charlotte. Inside sources say that he was much faster at Rockingham than anyone thought and that the team was astonished. The term "The Real Deal" was used many times:

&feature=youtu.be
Date: April 29, 2011 12:43PM
Posted by: gav
Testing means sod all in Nascar. It's all about race-craft, moving around in such tight packs and picking the right move.

Oh, and I hope that 'presenter' dies. Just a personal thing.
Date: May 08, 2011 05:39AM
what a dirty cunt horse @#$%& smelling motherf.... that Kyle Bush, i hope Harvick smashes his face inside and sends him directly to intensive care

sorry if i'm too agressive...... actually no @#$%& him! he deserves a hardcore beating for a long time!!!
Date: May 08, 2011 05:45AM
what a @#$%& PUSSY!!!!!! what a puss.y.... c'mon Kyle do you call yourself a man... lol, i'm fightin all alone here
Date: May 22, 2011 10:37AM

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy