V8 Supercars

Posted by torana_05 
Re: V8 Supercars
Date: July 22, 2009 02:43PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Collins has raced Late Model Stock Cars and a modified V8 Supercar in the Britcar Series. He'll probably be fine, just off the pace of the regular V8 drivers.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 04, 2010 10:18AM
Posted by: torana_05
was just watching the abc news and the v8 supercars plan to race at surfers paradise for the next two years but on a shorter track. good to see that they are going to do something up there but why would they need a shorter track tho. cannot find an official source on their website other than this [www.abc.net.au]. Also Lowndes and Skaife to team up in this years enduros [www.foxsports.com.au]. A very good decision since drivers that compete in the series full time cannot team up in the enduros.

Date: February 04, 2010 02:39PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
They are also forcing all the teams to bring down one international driver for the weekend.

David Brabham, Scott Pruett, Alex Tagliani, Christian Fittipaldi and Mark Blundell are already confirmed.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 04, 2010 10:24PM
Posted by: ferrariman
woop woop - Team vodafone now a Holden team with Mark Skaife, Craig Lowndes and Jamie Wincup

[www.crash.net]
Date: February 05, 2010 02:19AM
Posted by: gareth
torana_05 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> was just watching the abc news and the v8
> supercars plan to race at surfers paradise for the
> next two years but on a shorter track. good to
> see that they are going to do something up there
> but why would they need a shorter track tho.

Tony Cochrane has been quoted as saying something along the lines of as simplisticly as "a shorter track means the cars go round more times, meaning the fans will see them more". Obviously there's more to it, and I'm sure TC dumbed himself down for that quote - I believe there's other benefits such as reduced disruption to traffic and slightly cheaper staging costs.

Shortened Surfers track map

Second chicane is gone, turns 3 4 and 5 gone, and the new track rejoins where the left-right chicance was on the back stretch.
Date: February 05, 2010 05:30AM
yer i guess so but i i thought the track was great how it was, if it aint broken don't fix it

Date: February 05, 2010 10:38PM
Posted by: auscain
Hi, is it too late to ask what happened to Oran Park is the housing just too close now?
I raced there in the eighties 250 TZ what a fantastic racetrack.
I was in Sydney in November when the V8 series was in town at Homebush, they seem to have got the crowd out but it’s a terrible track for the driver’s in my opinion. Oran Park is so suited to the V8 series they can stretch their legs, dig in hard under brakes it’s just a fantastic circuit.

When I heard that Ed built a race track for GP4, I was really hoping that one day he would have the time to build Oran park. No pressure Ed

G

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2010 10:59PM by auscain.
Date: February 20, 2010 07:00AM
Posted by: shep34
Just finished watching the opening race of the season, over in Abu Dhabi. Running at the Yas Marina Circuit, it sure looks good, the track and facilities look great, but.....

Where are the fans??!!! LOL! There would be lucky to be more than 1,000 people in the stands watching this! Watching the telecast, it was almost as if flag marshals out numbered spectators.....

Love the series, but i really think it is bad to start the season of OUR Australian Touring Car Championship in a country that is not Australia!!! LOL! That just makes no sense to me. V8Supercars must be getting a whopping big bag of $$$$ to be running there.

Roll on the Melbourne F1 GP, and the V8's as star support act! I will be there!
Date: February 20, 2010 07:11AM
Posted by: mortal
Yeah, I noticed that too, where's the fans.....???

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 20, 2010 07:58AM
yer it seems pointless to run a race over there wouldn't it be better running it in europe or even america

Date: February 20, 2010 11:03PM
The Middle East races must purely be for the $$$. I think the American audience would love the V8's, but given Nascar's huge popularity, where would the V8's want to run? Nascar struggles to get a decent crowd in California, so whether running in California would be a good idea, who knows! That would seem the most logical place to run though! LOL
Europe would be great, allowing the European's to see some real touring cars, and not those little 2 litre buzz boxes they have LOL! Good old Aussie V8's racing around Silverstone or Nurburgring would be awesome!

Then again, I would just be happy to see the Aussie V8's race in Australia, and 1-2 races in NZ each year. Bring back Calder Park, Amaroo Park, Lakeside! LOL!
Date: February 20, 2010 11:05PM
Posted by: auscain
I guess they were actually expecting Aussies to travel there, maybe in the Australian winter even then. Perhaps it was good experience for the drivers. The timing is probably not good to put on a show in the U.S. I can tell you the north Americans are just fascinated by the Australian V-8s and rightly so.
Date: February 21, 2010 09:25AM
The 3-day crowd was 12000, almost double what they expected...

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 22, 2010 10:10AM
12000 they say huh? Hmmmm, guessing they were counting the race team members, flag marshals, sponsor representatives...lol
From the few tv shots we had of grandstands, I would have guessed there were 2000, tops. And that is being extremely generous in an estimation!!! But, given the temperature over there, i guess most of the 12000 people were indoors - wow, what a way to experience seeing the V8's....not (says me who has done corporate days in the F1 Paddock club in Melbourne the past 5 yrs....lol)
Date: February 27, 2010 05:33AM
Just watching the Bahrain race on tv now. Wow, looks like yet another capacity crowd in the stands... Guessing there would be at least 200 people there? Will be interesting to see the "official" figure....
Good to see them running on the F1 GP layout. Great layout for the V8s to slide around as the tyres wear off!
Date: February 28, 2010 12:58PM
Yes, the racing was good at Bahrain - that track seems to suit the V8s very well.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 07, 2010 09:17PM
Posted by: loren
Watching the Bahrain race on Speed here in the US. Great action but what a horrible place. Hard to see the cars with so much dust in the air.
Date: March 10, 2010 02:30PM
There are some surprising rumours coming out over the last 24 hours that Mercedes are about to join the series as a third manufacturer

[www.speedcafe.com.au]
[smh.drive.com.au]

It looks like more manufacturers is the future for the category, but I am surprised that Mercedes, at the other end of the market to Ford and Holden, would be interested in it at all.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 14, 2010 11:05AM
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are some surprising rumours coming out over
> the last 24 hours that Mercedes are about to join
> the series as a third manufacturer
>
> [www.speedcafe.com.au]
> nz-link-to-v8s-grow-stronger/
> [smh.drive.com.au]
> -v8-supercars-20100309-pvdm.html
>
> It looks like more manufacturers is the future for
> the category, but I am surprised that Mercedes, at
> the other end of the market to Ford and Holden,
> would be interested in it at all.

Bloody hell!!! Hope this NEVER happens, as the Australian V8 series should be about Australia! Having a Merc running around with the Holdens and Fords just would not be good - the whole reason our V8 category works, is it is the two big Aussie icons, Holden v Ford. I hope this never changes!!
Remember there used to be that "other" category, for the European 2 Litre buzzboxes - that died off pretty quickly, as the public just didnt care in the slightest way!
Keep the Mercs' out of the Aussie V8 category thank you.

Having said all that, the way the world economy is, and the Aussie economy, if Mercedes Benz were to come in, no doubt they would tip in a great lot of $$$$$ to the effort, which should do them good. But, at the end of the day, the fans here need to "want" to connect, and the core V8 crowd here in Australia is highly unlikely to want the Merc running around with the Fords and Holdens.... remember the Nissans'!!!! LOL
Date: March 14, 2010 12:29PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Shame that Holden is owned by GM, and Ford is...Ford, so despite them being "Australian icons", neither of them are actually Australian. The series races outside Australia and doesn't even have an Australian safety car, so quite frankly, @#$%& that.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy