Talla-f**king-dega!

Posted by DaveEllis 
Talla-f**king-dega!
Date: October 04, 2007 10:00AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
One of the most exciting races on the calender, and a weekend of important debuts!

2007 Indy Car Champion and Indy 500 Winner Dario Franchitti was a late addition to the ARCA RE/MAX 250 entry list last night. Franchitti has been expected to move into the Stock Car Scene for a few weeks now, but contract complications with his Indy Car team, Andretti Green Racing, has slowed the process. However a press conference will be held today (Wed 3rd October) to announce Franchitti as the #40 Ganassi NASCAR Nextel Cup driver for 2008. Franchitti has never turned a wheel in a Stock Car but will be expected to jump into the deep end and swim this weekend as he turns his first ever laps during the ARCA event. Like Montoya before him, Franchitti will have just 2 short months of racing to prepare himself for a full time Nextel Cup assault next season. Franchitti’s number for the ARCA event has not yet been announced, but he will drive a Ganassi Dodge Charger.

1995 Indy 500 Winner and CART champion and 1997 Formula 1 World Champion Jacques Villeneuve has been promoted up to the top ranks of NASCAR and will make his Nextel Cup debut on Sunday in the UAW-Ford 500, despite complaints from several drivers. Villeneuve had a strong NASCAR debut at Las Vegas in the Craftsman Truck Series two weeks ago, and although he ran strong, he was involved in an accident and eventually finished 21st. Jeff Gordon and Kyle Busch have been very vocal about the idea of a rookie running their first event at the giant Talladega Superspeedway, but NASCAR has approved Villeneuve for running in the premier series anyway. Villeneuve will also take part in the Mountain Dew 250 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series on the Saturday before the Nextel Cup race. Although the chances of Jacques qualifying the uncompetitive Camry are slim, Bill Davis has entered a 3rd car especially for Jacques this weekend, with his father’s number of it. Villeneuve will drive the #27 Bill Davis Toyota Camry in the Nextel event and the #27 Bill Davis Toyota Tundra in the Truck event.

Also attempting to qualify for his first NASCAR Nextel Cup event at Talladega is 3 time IRL Champion Sam Hornish, Jr. Whilst Hornish has ran in several Busch Series events in 2006 and 2007, his attempts at qualifying for a Nextel Cup race have been unsuccessful despite running competitive equipment. Hornish will be attempting to quality the #06 Penske Racing Dodge Challenger in the Nextel event.

Despite being dropped for the Scuderia Toro Rosso Formula 1 team, Red Bull hasn’t given up on Scott Speed. Red Bull has entered a Toyota Camry into Friday's ARCA RE/MAX 250 at Talladega. Speed has been outspoken against Stock Car Racing and oval racing in the past, so one has to wonder just why he has taken up the offer to run this event, or if Red Bull has pushed him into it. Either way, Scott Speed will drive the #21 Red Bull Toyota Camry in the ARCA event.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Re: Talla-f**king-dega!
Date: October 04, 2007 10:58AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
yeehaaw baby yeehaaw.

Now we need FOX to broadcast the race and id be happy as.

Date: October 04, 2007 07:58PM
Posted by: Red Sam
thoughts on JV taking his first start at Talladega?

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: October 04, 2007 10:44PM
Posted by: gav
Red Sam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thoughts on JV taking his first start at
> Talladega?

I still think it's a massive gamble, if he's to qualify.

Coincidently, I'm just watching the 1995 Indycar season, the Indy 500 tonight, and against what Dave said in the other thread, he never got a 3 wide once in the race at speed. I can only count one 3 wide through the entire race, and that was because one of the cars was heading to the wall. 2 wide was all but impossible, and 3 wide was only possible on the restarts. All down to the soft tyres the tyre war had led to in 1995.
Date: October 04, 2007 10:58PM
I still think it's a massive gamble, if he's to qualify.

Chances are he won't. Truck race he will, but Trucks are insane at Talladega.

ARCA Practice 1 -

[www.arcaracing.com]

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2007 11:41PM by DaveEllis.
Date: October 05, 2007 02:32AM
ARCA Qualifying 1

Franchitti 6th, Speed 7th :)

Darios car this weekend:

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 05, 2007 08:35AM
Posted by: brnco
@gav; where did you get indycar 1995 season?

@NeilPearson; chick was better
Date: October 05, 2007 08:49AM
brnco Wrote:

> @NeilPearson; chick was better

What!?

Date: October 05, 2007 09:52AM
Posted by: gav
brnco Wrote:
> @gav; where did you get indycar 1995 season?

From videotape.
Date: October 05, 2007 03:50PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Should be a good race! Is there live video feeds online or is it on Sky Sports?

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: October 05, 2007 04:34PM
ARCA and The Truck Series are on SpeedTV. Nextel Cup is on Setanta Ireland (delayed). Which is why I'm cancelling Setanta, because they f**king suck.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 05, 2007 05:41PM
Posted by: sasjag
depends what you watchon Setanta :P

what times do teh various races start btw? missus is away this weekend :P

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: October 05, 2007 05:48PM
ARCA - SpeedTV - 9pm UK Time (No UK coverage)
Truck Series - Speed TV - 7:30pm UK Time (No UK coverage)
Nextel Cup - Setanta Ireland - 1am UK Time (delayed coverage)

Darios car looks awesome, but it really isn't a very Dario like car.

A plain helmet this week since its a brand new helmet...hopefully his old one is back next time, it just wouldn't be the same without it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2007 05:50PM by DaveEllis.
Date: October 06, 2007 08:38AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
yawn......

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: October 06, 2007 09:06AM
Certainly wasn't a yawn at all.

Franchitti was relegated to the back of the grid when both Ganassi's had an engine change. Eventually had a full clean race and finished 17th. Unhappy with the position but very happy with the experience gained.

Speeds race was a bit more dramatic. Started 7th, got a black flag for passing under the yellow line and had to give the positions back. Made a rookie error when he bump drafted far too hard and spun a car out. Eventually finished 7th.

For a field that had 21 rookies at Talladega it was surprisingly clean. Very few cautions and great racing throughout the event. Truck race tomorrow which I'll probably miss, Go Villeneuve :D

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 06, 2007 09:31AM
Posted by: mortal
yawn......
If you're tired, go to bed, instead of being a troll, nothing good to say? Then don't say anything at all, I'm getting a bit tired of some forum members behaviour in recent days, given the number of post reports I've been getting about useless posts. Smarten up, engage brain before pushing the post button. <sigh>

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 06, 2007 08:00PM
mortal Wrote:
> yawn......
> If you're tired, go to bed, instead of being a
> troll, nothing good to say?

Not exactly a troll, more of comment on restrictor plate racing.

But aside from that, I'll pull for JV and hope he makes the field and does well. Sorry if it appeared I was trying to start sh*t....

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: October 06, 2007 08:18PM
40 cars out of 41 gone, Villeneuve is locked in with 4th fastest time at the moment. Hornish however DNQs again.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 07, 2007 04:13AM
To be honest Dave I don't think Hornish will make the grade in NASCAR. Just my personal view here, but the impression he gives me is that something essential is missing in his makeup. It's as if he lacks grit, or a will to push through difficult circumstances and force a car to the front.

Anyway, just my impression of Hornish...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2007 04:14AM by Jagdpanzer.
Date: October 07, 2007 05:30AM
what the hell is with the qualifying? lol

5 toyota's in the top 6...

awesome tha villeneuve is in tho :D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy