NASCAR Busch Series - Montréal 2007

Posted by Briere 
Re: NASCAR Busch Series - Montréal 2007
Date: August 05, 2007 08:15PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
The way I look at it though, The Harvick/Pruett incident wasnt intentional. (I am probably wrong.. Fuzzy memory) But IIRC wasnt Harvick actually forced to run wide into T1, and then had to either A)Cut through T2, or B)Get back on track. Unfortunantly Pruett was there. Correct me if i'm wrong (Which I probably am)

Well, nobody can say you are right or wrong there because nobody will ever know. But to me, from the replay camera before the corner Harvick looked completely behind Pruett after being forced out and then just dive bombed into a space less than 1/4 the width of his car.

I still say NASCAR NEEDS MORE ROAD RACES. I'd be shocked if by 2009 the Cup series isnt running up in Montreal, as evidenced by the amazing turn out for a busch race (They said around 130k between praccy and race... I'd call that good for a busch race). Oval races are, IMO, quite boring.

Oval races are an aquired taste. They certainly aren't for everyone. IMO, oval races are often fun (but like road courses, there is a bunch of bad ones too...look at todays Hungarian GP for example) but NASCAR races are simply too long. They are great at the start, great at the end, but the middle 3rd is often too dull and drawn out as the drivers are saving the cars (and who can blame them?). If I ran the series the first thing I'd do is cut most of the races from 500 miles to 350-400, only keeping the special ones at the 500 mile limit.

I think Nextel Cup may end up in Canada, but at the very least we'll get a situation similar to Mexico where no Nextel race is scheduled on the same weekend as the Busch race, allowing for alot of Nextel drivers to take part.

The way I look at it they already are building the cars for it, and why not actually use them (Remember when the Trucks had, IIRC, 5 Roadies a year?)

Not anymore. The Car Of Tomorrow uses 1 template. The same car can be used on the road courses as can be run at Talladega or Daytona. Just swap the spoiler and spliter which bolt on and off and its done. Oh and a restrictor plate obviously lol.

ALOT of fans have been crying out for more of them, as they are usually quite good, and it is something different, But NASCAR just seems to forget the fans IMO. I bet if you asked every attendee to a NASCAR Event if they wanted more Road Course racing, it would be a yes.)

I think if you asked normal motorsport fans that they would agree, but not if you asked NASCAR fans. I'm on a couple of NASCAR forums and NASCAR based forums and they LOVE there ovals. I love ovals too, but I'd quite like a few more roadies (5 or 6 would be good for me), but these guys REALLY love there ovals. I think adding more road courses might take away from what NASCAR really is about. However that Speedcar Series could be the answer to your prayers, even if they arent strictly NASCAR spec stock cars, but Late Model spec.

Why is the Daytona 500 finishing at NIGHT? (When did that happen anyways... It seems like every year its darker and darker by the end of the race... It pisses me off!)

That was this year. It started later than normal and then there was hold ups. It generally didnt go to plan too well. I'd expect it to go back to finishing during the day as normal next year. There was also the strange fog of a couple of years ago which meant it looked alot darker than it was, but NASCAR Cant control the weather (if they did we wouldnt have these bloody rain delays).

I do agree that NASCAR needs to get back to tradition regarding the ovals somewhat. California needs droppecd completelty, Texas, Atlanta and Lowes need 1 date each, Darlington needs the 1 DAY race, Bristol needs to go back to tarmac and Rockingham needs to return (I miss the rock :().

But at the same time, what series isnt forgetting tradition? F1 is going off to tilke dromes in countries we dont care about. Champ Car is making advances on Europe and dropped ovals completely, Tony George said the famous 33 is "just a number", DTM is branching out into Europe and is running what is effectivly GT cars, not touring cars...its happening all through the motorsport world unfortunatly.

I'd say overall, NASCAR is pretty good at listening to the fans. Cautions were taking too long to sort, so they installed timing loops and it helped. Too many races finished under caution, so they gave us GWC finishes, and it helped. Fans wanted wet tyres for RCs back, so NASCAR put them into development on the Busch cars, with plans for Nextel later. Fans loved the truck racing, so the COT is based on a similar aeropackage.

They were the first to bring the hand held TVs to the fans at the track, theyhave worked on safety without killing the racing like F1 has done, the TV coverage is fantastic with great technical insights (FAR too many commercials, but same goes for all American TV unfortunatly).

Im agaisnt the schedule changes, Im not sure the COT is going to help, and I think the chase needs dropped. But other than that, the changes NASCAR have made to the sport in the name of safety and fan interest have been quite good really.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 05, 2007 08:25PM
Forgot to add, that when it comes to supporting the fans, NASCAR.com is so awesome. Live timing (of course), radios, live track maps, visualisations, FREE streams of the NASCAR Busch races world wide, and FREE steams of the Nextel Cup races to US residents. Thats pretty impressve IMO :)

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 07, 2007 08:44PM
Marcus Ambrose will attempt his first NASCAR Nextel Cup start at Watkins Glen this weekend, running in a team supplied by none other than Robby Gordon.

Robby Gordon Racing will field a second car, numbered 77 (robby is #7) for Marcus specially to run the Nextel Cup event.

Hows that for an apology?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 07, 2007 09:03PM
Posted by: tripleM
Unless Ford made him do it.

Date: August 07, 2007 09:06PM
Thats not what happened according to Ambrose and Robby, so theres no reason to suggest that, especailly since Robby isnt a factory supported team like Roush and Yates.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 08, 2007 06:33AM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
I don't think Ford made him but Robby does get Ford factory support, thats why he uses Roush-Yates engine package. And when he changed makes from Chevy to Ford at the press conference he had a Ford rep there too.
Date: August 08, 2007 06:44AM
Robbys already more than 1 generation behind the Roush-Yates Newman Hass Lanigan (jesus christ what a stupid name that is) engine program.

Marcus and Robby have both released press statements explaining the situation. Someone suggested he runs Marcus in the car, 2 phone calls and a couple of hours later the deal was done. The car itself will be supplied by the Wood Brothers, who were going to run Marcus but couldnt find the budget too, and it will be paid for by Robby Gordon Racing, Camping World (One of Robbys sponsors) and a little from Kingsford Charcoal (Ambroses Busch sponsor). The team operating it will be Ambroses regular Busch team.

As for Penalties, Robby was fined $35,000 and placed on probation in all NASCAR Regulated series until Dec 31st 2007. Any serious violation in any of the series sees him suspended from NASCAR with immediate effect.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 08, 2007 08:33AM
Posted by: gareth
It'd be great if Marcos does well- you'd hope he doesn't disgrace himself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2007 08:42AM by gareth.
Date: August 10, 2007 11:11AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
gareth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It'd be great if Marcos does well- you'd hope he
> doesn't disgrace himself

he has already done that.

just by what robby did made what ambrose did seem tiny ;)

lets hope watkins glen qual doesnt rain out

Date: August 11, 2007 06:09AM
guess i jinxed that one

Date: August 13, 2007 01:26AM
Posted by: gareth
damn you Neil! haha
Date: August 13, 2007 03:41AM
foxtel @#$%& it up anyway

missed the last 15 @#$%& laps.

looks like its time to call them up and complain

Date: August 16, 2007 06:39PM
Posted by: Senna
hahah.

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: August 16, 2007 08:20PM
uhh....huh?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 16, 2007 11:00PM
Posted by: gav
JPM's looking chunky. Never thought he was particularly big in his F1 days (considering all the pie jokes), but he's certainly seen the burger vans state-side. Can't quite work out why Harvick was getting worked up at JPM for though - surely JPM told him he was fault-free... he certainly said he did.
Date: August 16, 2007 11:04PM
Because Harvick has an attitude problem, always has done, and only starts arguments with drivers he think he can get away with. He got a bit of a shock when Ricky Rudd fought back and I dont think he'll approach JPM again. He certainl learned he cant go after Tony.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 17, 2007 06:29AM
harvick is a cock head. simple.

jpm shouldnt of blocked so hard, Truex shouldnt of hit him, harvick should race nascars.

simple

Date: September 10, 2007 09:39AM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
Going back to Ambrose he is supposed to attempt the Dover race in late September for Robby Gordon Motorsports to make up for the Watkins Glen rainout. Also the Yates Newman Hass Lanigan merger is dead, the team will be know as Yates Racing starting in 2008 formly know as Robert Yates Racing now that Robert is retiring as an owner.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy