2008 GP2 Car

Posted by iCeMaN pAuL 
2008 GP2 Car
Date: June 26, 2007 05:49PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL

The GP2 Series unveiled the second generation racer that will replace the current chassis from 2008 at Paul Ricard on Tuesday.

Test driver Nelson Piquet Jr drove the new 4-litre V8 Renault-powered Dallara for 60 trouble-free laps before giving the new car the thumbs up.

"At this early stage it’s difficult to say much about the car because it is completely fresh from the factory, but I was very happy with the way it ran as we had no problems," said the Renault F1 test driver.

"From a first impression, the car has a lot of upgrades, particularly with the aero and the big cuts in the sidepod.

"Also there’s the new floor and the gearbox."

"It already feels faster, especially in the high speed corners, and I’m pretty confident that on most circuits it will immediately be around a second faster than the current car," he added.

The new car is designed around lessons learned from the successful concept first introduced as Formula 1's support series in 2005.

It features a revised engine and gearbox that are stronger, lighter and easier to service than the current models, while the bodywork has received substantial revision in line with developments in F1.

Safety upgrades have also ensured that the car will surpass the FIA's 2008 F1 crash test demands with the chassis incorporating new anti-intrusion panels and room for a proposed GPS-mapped marshalling light system.

"I am incredibly proud to see the GP2 / 08 test for the first time," said series organiser Bruno Michel.

"It is an aggressive and beautiful looking car, and is the perfect vehicle with which to take this series forward.

"This car has been designed to keep the GP2 philosophy of racing intact, to maintain the show, training, cost efficiency and safety of the Series, whilst at the same time making a large step forward in technology."

F1 super-rookies Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg have both won the GP2 Series title, while hotly-tipped German Timo Glock currently leads this year's championship.

-----------------

Looks sexual! love that new nose.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Re: 2008 GP2 Car
Date: June 26, 2007 06:04PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
yes, looks great!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: June 26, 2007 06:06PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
More pics:

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 06:07PM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Date: June 26, 2007 09:28PM
Posted by: Kev188
I really like this car...looks much better then every GP2 car b4!
Date: June 26, 2007 09:59PM
Posted by: bestobritish
looks promising, I cant wait to see it with a proper livery!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: June 26, 2007 10:12PM
Posted by: jbnd05
I like, looks a little more F1.

Date: June 27, 2007 02:32AM
Posted by: Senna

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: June 27, 2007 02:36AM
Posted by: Senna
The new car is shite IMHO, I prefer the 2005 model, pure, without winglets, bargeboards, exactly how a F1 car should be. But damn it, they destroyed it.

"I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, and the car is my brush."
Date: June 27, 2007 02:52AM
Posted by: chet
Be interesting to see the floor if poss and I love it !
Love the front end and really love the rear, those rear endplates look quite deep and go quite low.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: June 27, 2007 07:55AM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
Thats A pretty nice looking car, I like it. I like bargeboards, winglets, and Etc. it gives the cars character. I don't want to see 22 cars on track that look all alike, I didn't come to watch Champ Car I came to watch Formula 1.
Date: June 27, 2007 01:06PM
Renault#1Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats A pretty nice looking car, I like it. I like
> bargeboards, winglets, and Etc. it gives the cars
> character. I don't want to see 22 cars on track
> that look all alike, I didn't come to watch Champ
> Car I came to watch Formula 1.

A damn shame your watching GP2 then isnt it.

Date: June 27, 2007 01:23PM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
I know this is about GP2 I'm just commenting on what Senna said.
Date: June 27, 2007 11:57PM
Posted by: gary42
I agree with Senna - and I imagine that all that extra aero stuff will mess up the racing as well - the reason it was so good with the 2005-spec car was due to the simplicity of the car.

Date: June 30, 2007 06:58PM
Posted by: Hologide
Anyone see Viso's crash today...

I didn't, but heard it was a pretty nasty one and that he's lucky to be 'okay'
Date: June 30, 2007 07:31PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
He hit the back of another car and rolled over the barrier. The car rolled along the top of the concrete barrier at high speed, took out a metal advertising board (the kind which hold the boards over the side of the track), destroyed a static TV camera, few fire extinguishers, marshall stand boards and other misc stuff at the side of the track. He came less than 1 meter from several marshalls whilst flying through the air, and less than a meter from a concrete bridge, which would have killed him.

He has a concusion and problems with his right arm (unconfirmed if its broken or not at this time) and has been air lifted to hositpial. Hes awake, alert, speaking and will be fine.

Here is screen captures of the incident. The video is on TBK Fame Flame however there is not hot linking to there videos, so I wont.

A horrifying accident to watch. Especailly scary when they didnt show replays for a long time, something which happens when a driver has died.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 30, 2007 07:54PM
Posted by: Peat

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

horrifying. no other words can describe it.

Date: June 30, 2007 08:15PM
Posted by: Hologide
Wow that was big. cheers for the media, guys :)
Date: June 30, 2007 09:47PM
Posted by: bestobritish
jeeez lucky guy!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: July 01, 2007 12:57AM
Posted by: mschumi
wow, horrible crash....very lucky to be alive damn

Scuderia Ferrari Forever
Date: July 01, 2007 01:49AM
A little lighter...

That start had to be one of the funniest things ever.

Seriously, could ever see Mika and Michael doing that when they were on the front row.

I guess this is what GP2 is for but lol. What a joke :p!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy