Sean Edwards - RIP

Posted by smoglessbutton4 
Sean Edwards - RIP
Date: October 15, 2013 03:06PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Sean Edwards, the leader of the Porsche Supercup Championship, has been killed following an accident at the Queensland Raceway circuit in Australia.

The 26-year-old Briton was instructing in a Porsche 996 GT3 alongside a 20-year-old man from Brisbane when the car left the circuit and hit a tyre bank.

Edwards was killed on impact with the tyre wall, with the car then bursting into flames with the driver still trapped inside.

Emergency services battled for three hours to remove the injured driver from the car before he was airlifted to hospital in Brisbane with serious injuries.

Having initially started his career in single-seaters, Edwards moved into sportscars with a number of British GT Championship outings in 2005 before switching to the new FIA GT3 European Championship the following season with Tech 9 – becoming the inaugural champion in the process.

After a season in the FIA GT Championship proper in 2007, Edwards then moved into the F1-supporting Supercup for the first time in 2008, winning on two occasions en-route to fifth in the standings.

Recent seasons have seen Edwards firmly establish himself as a front-runner in both the Supercup and the Porsche Carrera Cup Germany, with the Briton sitting 18 points clear in the Supercup this season with only the season finale – a double header in Abu Dhabi – left to run.

While Edwards was most commonly found behind the wheel of a Porsche, he also took two wins in the Dubai 24 Hours at the wheel of a Black Falcon-run Mercedes SLS AMG GT3, and was part of the same team's line-up that took top honours in the Nurburgring 24 Hours earlier this year.

Edwards had also been involved in the hit film Rush, where he took on the role of his father Guy.

(Source: crash.net)

Very, very sad news to hear. It's a bad week for motorsport :( :(
Rest in peace, Sean. God takes the mortals when they reach perfection.
(and may I add that I wish well for the recovery of the injured driver!)

EDIT: Found a picture of the wreckage:

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 03:15PM by smoglessbutton4.
Re: Sean Edwards - RIP
Date: October 15, 2013 05:49PM
Posted by: kedy89
Very very sad, I've seen him racing live several times, I especially remember the second race at the Norisring of the Carrera Cup this season, when he started from second last row (32nd) and finished 3rd.

R.I.P. Sean :(

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Date: October 15, 2013 11:10PM
Posted by: J i m
Horrible news.

Date: October 16, 2013 01:49AM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
RIP, what is it about October and motorsport?

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: October 16, 2013 12:35PM
Posted by: Mullet345
How exactly did the crash happen?

Date: October 16, 2013 09:45PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
I read one comment that said it was caused by mechanical failure. I've seen noting else which suggests a cause of the accident.

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: October 25, 2013 10:59PM
Posted by: Isaint
Always sad to hear news like this ......

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy