CART tracks

Posted by Vader 
Re: CART tracks
Date: January 03, 2003 11:22AM
Posted by: Vader
It might be due to the general design and arrangements of streets in Houston. I don't think people would have liked CART cars race through their living rooms just to avoid 90° corners. Still it is great racing ther, especially in the wet.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 03, 2003 01:25PM
Posted by: Ellis
(Why doesn't have F1 some really exciting street tracks? I mean the eal thing and not a bore like Monaco. I'd love to see them in Houston, Long Beach or Surfers Paradise.)

because it is run by the FIA

Surfers Paradise rocks! I lvoe that track!

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 03, 2003 01:57PM
Posted by: bigears
I just completed my CART 2002 season as Dario. I came fourth after grabbing some important points at Fontana.

I had a big scare on the Fontana track, I had a puncture on the last corner on lap 13 and spun into the wall. Lost my front wing but still drove on to fifth place.

Surfers' Paradise was a great track, it was raining just like the real race last year. I liked the graphical update though.

I remembered once that I started a F1 1990 season at Phoenix,I dumped the whole season after 9 laps because it made me bored because of the Phoenix's track layout. Yawn.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did your birth certificate come with an apology letter from Durex?
Date: January 03, 2003 02:57PM
David Page -
you are not known as "bigears" in other places? (If not, this was just a a thought I had when reading your sig - no offence)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 04, 2003 11:09AM
Lol! Yeah I am bigears alright! But I seems to can't put my new sig up here as it only provides an url.

The CART drivers are lucky to have plenty of street circuits as the power of television is pretty strong and the CART organisers can persuade people well.

There was the Birmingham Superprix circuit, Britain's only street circuit. A lot of people complained about cars going by their dining room uring lunchtime. Also churchgoers complained as well as the races was on Sundays. It was dropped after a couple of years. :(

Date: January 04, 2003 11:26AM
I would feel honoured to host the pic for you on my webspace and send you the url. You can then link to it.

Send it to [emial]larth.vader@freenet.de[/email]

(Zcott - looks like I'll get another soul muahaahHAHA!!)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 04, 2003 11:27AM
*ahem*

larth.vader@freenet.de

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: January 06, 2003 09:11AM
Don't worry about it, I just use my avatar from the fameflame website to add it into my sig here.

Cheers for offering some webspace. I might update it soon so I will ask you sometime in the near future.

Date: May 30, 2003 08:37AM
Posted by: twgavin
One of the greatest tracks ever was the '70's street track at Long Beach - with the jump off of Ocean Blvd!
Has anyone seen a hardware version?
I have only found software versions of the '76 and '78 Long Beach Grand Prix tracks. I'd love to see one for GP3 2000.
Thanks,
Tim

twgavin
Date: May 30, 2003 11:28AM
Posted by: quickslick
@Vader, Miami is already out for a long time.
Date: May 30, 2003 02:30PM
Posted by: daveb
there is a hardware 1.
i used 2 hav it on the outer echelongs of my old computer.

*thinks must setup file transfer between the 2 sometime - only meant 2 do it since september*

Date: May 30, 2003 02:45PM
Thank you quickslick. Thanks to Paul Edmonds, I already have it. ;)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: June 02, 2003 07:24AM
I found one claiming to be a hardware version but the link is long broken - do you think you still have Long Beach recoverable somewhere?
Thx
TG

twgavin
Date: June 02, 2003 08:31AM
Posted by: JackiMatra
The original website where the track was first released is still there and the download links all work for everything there:

[www.grandprix-x.com]
Date: June 02, 2003 08:35AM
Excellent - I could not connect to the '76 Long Beach GPwest link when I tried Friday.
Thanks!!!!

twgavin
Date: June 02, 2003 06:05PM
If there's anyone that knows how, there is one thing that really needs fixing in that otherwise splendid track:

It's the AI line. The problem is that the AI drive completely over the kerbs in places, seriously cutting the corners, making their laptimes much too quick, and making quite difficult, if not impossible, for human players to keep up with them as they can't bounce over the kerbs that well. The AI are also very prone to crash at one corner.
Date: June 02, 2003 08:05PM
Posted by: Saih Pitu
Actually the scenery is very inacturate too, I mean downtown Long Beach never had big hills in the background. :) I think the most accurate version of Long Beach is the 2001 version, but for some reason whenever I run that track, if I lead the first lap on the second lap the game crashes to the desktop at the end of the first sector. Wish I knew how to fix it. :(

Take care.

- Loren
Date: June 02, 2003 08:20PM
The present-day Long Beach circuit used by CART is quite different from the one used by F1 from 1976-1981 (which is the one made for GP3) or in 1982-1983, so there's no point in comparing the accuracy of their layouts.

There are two different CART Long Beach circuits for GP3, both of which work allright for me. The one made by Hernan Viglione is the much better one. Which one are you having problems with?
Date: June 02, 2003 09:10PM
Posted by: Saih Pitu
I know how different the tracks are between now and 25 years ago. I've lived in Long Beach most of my life, went to the F1 races back then and the CART races now. I was not talking about the track layout but the scenery or how downtown is shown, it is completely inaccurate. I could get into the track problems if you want, like shoreline drive not having any camber in the 78 version (which it does in real life) but I will leave that for another time.

The one I am having trouble with is Hernan Viglione's 2001 version. Its very strange I have two installs of GP3. One is a CART install the other F1. The track works fine in the CART version but the F1 is the one that crashes after the first lap.

Take care.

- Loren
Date: June 03, 2003 07:45AM
Having attended the races as well - I feel the track is excellent - the backgrounds and hills etc is ussually not too accurate in mod tracks because the builders base the work on something already existing which is perfectly understandable - I can't imagine how much work these tracks are to build!
Two issues I noticed were the Start/Finish line and Pits should be up on Ocean blvd in '76.
But the ony real disappointment for me was that I was looking forward to getting the front end airborn as you accelerate out of Ocean Blvd down the hill on Linden Blvd!
That was a real treat to watch - these cars had enough torque and the falloff was so abrupt that the front ends would be 9' to a foot off the ground as the cars began their descent - that hill was VERY steep - sadly the '76 GP3 track has the hill modelled much too gently. But I'm not sure even if you can model these things for such a steep drop off - but it sure would be fun!!
TG

twgavin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy