GUIDE: How to run Grand Prix 3 on Windows 10

Posted by PTRACER 
Re: GUIDE: How to run Grand Prix 3 on Windows 10
Date: January 09, 2023 10:17PM
Posted by: zifox
I've tested on my AMD rig:

With dgvoodoo only, it's visually correct, but very slow. (it's ok in 512 with no details, but very slow in 1280 with all details, as the PO in the second pictures shows)
Same as what I got with my default install.

With DxWnd, I get the same exact result I get with my default install. (transparency issues and PO is about the same)

[imgur.com]
Date: January 10, 2023 08:32AM
Same test on the GTX1050

DgVoodoo, correct but very slow

DxWnd, with missing parts

That's also what I got with my previous install.
Date: January 10, 2023 08:41PM
Posted by: pippozzo
no, ok.
I meant you shouldn't go in 1280 , with dgvoodoo, cause it's campionated at 1024x768, that should be the highest resolution to play with those panels/settings .

firstly mind to keep mirror details without the "as forward view". Keep it to "None", since that eats so much in PO required.

but if you use dgvoodoo exporting (is the better solution) , and leave in 512 (it's already oversampled in 1024x768 ) and check how is going if it's playble (PO).
if you want put it at 1024x768 (but mirrors still to "None";) and check again, but anyway notthing over 1024x768 has sense.

You may also go in the
"C:\GP3\Utility\dgVoodoo" and dgVoodooSetup check the settings for the folder c:\GP3 and check to disable apply phong option or linear filter or nomipmap activating. I suppose it may give a bit more performance.
Date: January 10, 2023 11:24PM
I don't see the point of playing in lower resolution, it's far to pixelated to be playable in my opinion. I know dgvoodoo doesn't work well with GP3, that's the reason I didn't use it in the first place, and switched to dxwnd, despite the few transparency bugs on intel integrated GPUs

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you do a full season without qualifying ? Let's find out : [www.youtube.com]
Date: January 11, 2023 08:59AM
Posted by: pippozzo
The point is excessive PO in high res and with morrors detailed when u use dgvoodoo.I am getting dgvoodoo is the only mode to achieve no probs visual, othrwise if u can play in high res with no probs using dxwnd so much better, but if u cannot cause bugs transparency, the better compromise is dgvoodoo with these settings. mind when gp3 came out in 2000, the best performance pcs couldn t run it all high detailed with po under 100%.
I started t play it with low res on monitors 14 15 inchs wasn t a big problem. then in 2006 we could run all ok in high res. Then with windows 8 and 10 and 11 we came 20 years back. but its microsoft problem not due to the game.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy