Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: September 25, 2010 03:52AM
Posted by: ___Flanker___
how can i change the pit stop strategy???
Date: September 25, 2010 06:00AM
Posted by: torana_05
is it just me or is there a delay when chaging gear

Date: September 25, 2010 07:29AM
Posted by: Briere
Apparently, it's a sound bug. That's all I know, since I don't have the game ;)
Date: September 25, 2010 07:39AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Thunderknight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Decent game in overall, not much things to say,
> almost everything was mentioned on older posts...
>
> Now, I was extracting textures from 3dsimed, and i
> got realy disapointed. Car tex resolution on 2048
> (single tex), helmet one 512 (horrible mapping),
> driver suits weren´t much worked excepting gloves
> (those are really cool). Tracks tex are almost all
> 512 or 256.
>
> Could be better, huh?

I'm sure I'd not be the only curious person to want to see them! Could you save as JPG and upload somewhere?
Date: September 25, 2010 10:08AM
Posted by: Xero
torana_05 Wrote:
> is it just me or is there a delay when chaging
> gear

It's a sound problem. Go into options and change the sound from Rapture to Software or Hardware. I originally changed to software which helped a great deal, but have since updated my sound drivers (SB X-Fi) and the hardware option appeared. The McLaren gear change sound is now instant for me, while the Virgin still has a small delay (on purpose I'd imagine to simluate having a less sophisticated gearbox).
Date: September 25, 2010 10:29AM
Posted by: Pont
guys, is it possible to play this pc game with a keyboard?
Date: September 25, 2010 11:17AM
Posted by: Mitsuro Sano
I have tested this game yesterday on both Xbox 360 and PS3 and it's a good surprise. On my first ever lap on this game ( time attack, no aids, driving Lewis Hamilton in Melbourne with a pad ), I've got already a good sensation, managing a 1.27.5. The graphics are great, physics is really enjoyable, not Grid's like ;). Each lap you do, you feel you can push harder and harder. Then I tried a GP, with full damage on and AI on easy. One thing I find great is that for once at the start you can't gain 10 places at once like in GP4 or any other F1 games! But damages is weird, sometimes you hit hard the wall or a car but you lose nothing. And you can break only one wheel per cars. But if your main goal is not to crash on purpose but to actually race, then this game is great!
Driving in the rain is very challenging and the effects are outstanding!

As I say earlier, I was able to test the game on both Xbox 360 ( never played on a 360 before ) and Playstation 3. I was driving Hamilton in Melbourne on both console. So here are the differences I've noticed:

Graphics:
No doubt about it, graphics are better on the Xbox 360 than on the PS3. Textures are sharper, reflection animation on a car and on the mirror are a lot smoother. But it's darker and the McLaren in the 360 is too shiny: you don't even see the Vodafone logo on numerous occasions! The Xbox360 wins easily here!
( there is too much reflections on the carbon parts of every cars btw in the game )

Driving:
On my first ever lap on the PS3, I managed a 1.27.5 with no aids. On my first ever lap on the Xbox360, I managed only a 1.30. I find the sensibility higher with the Xbox pad, I always had the car lose at the exit of each tight corner ;). As I'm used to the PS3 pad, I would say the Play3 wins here.

Damages:
Honestly, I've never thought that they'll be any differences regarding damages between the PS3, Xbox and PC ( maybe in the PC you can tweak that with some config files ). But I noticed that you break your car more easily in the Xbox360 than in the PS3. In fact, in the 360, during a race, I didn't hit quite hard a HRT car and my front wing went in pieces. On the PS3, I did hit a HRT car very hard but only some flaps of the front wing went off! And that happened a lot of time! Xbox wins here

Sound:
Excellent on both console, on low, mid, high and max revolution! Apparently on the PC, there is a delay.

Coming from Codemasters, it's a very good game! If you looked back to what we said, it's a great surprise! There is some things that can be of course improved, but it's a good basis from the next F1 games from Codemasters!

:)
Date: September 25, 2010 11:38AM
Posted by: casabonka
just found out you can rip off two cars... but that was straight on at 290kph...

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: September 25, 2010 11:47AM
Posted by: vesuvius
Pont Wrote:
> guys, is it possible to play this pc game with a
> keyboard?

Yes it's possible, did try keyboard at monza and laptimes were good, similar to the ones I did with wheel, it was more difficult than with wheel but should be good after some practise :)
Date: September 25, 2010 12:34PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
What is the wet weather driving like?

I've heard some people say that it is no different to the dry if you've got the correct tyres on. Other people say it is really difficult (as it should be). They can't both be right...

Date: September 25, 2010 12:35PM
Posted by: Mitsuro Sano
The first time I drive in the wet ( without TC etc... ) I was caught out in the first corner... It's different, you have to brake earlier, not to accelerate too much out of a corner if you don't want to spin off...
Date: September 25, 2010 12:48PM
Posted by: Fincent
Just found out some pretty horrendous bugs which have completely killed my immersion. Can't believe that Codemasters released a game with these features in them.

- The times that AI do in qualifying and practice do not match the times that they actually do on the track. The time is generated and then the car goes out on track purely for cosmetic reasons, you could overtake (for example Rosberg) on your qualifying lap but at the end of the session he'd have a faster time than you. [community.codemasters.com] and this post just sums it up completely, straight from the devs on twitter [community.codemasters.com]
- The rubber banding effect described earlier in this thread. When you're ahead of a car, it'll speed up to catch you and when you've behind a car, it'll slow down so it comes back towards you. So much for pit strategies and pushing for a gap. [community.codemasters.com]
- Fuel useage is not simulated for AIs. Ever wondered why you could keep up with the (fake) times during qualifying and practice but as soon as you went to the race (especially on longer distances) the AI would still be able to do fast times? [community.codemasters.com]

I'm still going to play the game because it's fun to drive and race, but I'm not taking my results seriously from now on with so much fakery going on behind the scenes. I hope we get a patch soon to fix at least some of the bugs that are springing up all over the place.

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: September 25, 2010 12:54PM
Posted by: SDG71
Mitsuro Sano Schreef:
> Coming from Codemasters, it's a very good game! If
> you looked back to what we said, it's a great
> surprise! There is some things that can be of
> course improved, but it's a good basis from the
> next F1 games from Codemasters!
>
> :)

When you look back to EA's first attempt to make a F1 game, F1 2000, this too was something with considerable room for improvement. So maybe in 2013 Codemasters will deliver us the ultimate F1 sim, when they release F1 Challenge 2009-2012... :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 01:01PM by SDG71.
Date: September 25, 2010 01:09PM
Posted by: gav
Go Alesi
What is the wet weather driving like?

I've heard some people say that it is no different to the dry if you've got the correct tyres on. Other people say it is really difficult (as it should be). They can't both be right...

It's far too easy (and I don't mean compared to a sim - it's just too easy). You brake a bit early, and it's a touch more sensitive to spinning, but you can still floor it coming out of the corners - wheel spinning a lot, but the car won't spin. It's impossible to spin in a straight line.

The devs have based on it on driving a go-kart on slicks on a wet track. You get sod all front end grip on turn in, so it washes wide, but you can drive full-throttle out of the corner as soon as you've left the apex.

Like most aspects of the game, it's a let down.

I'm finding the AI awful. There's the horrific problems with fake times rubber banding, but there's also the problem of them braking. You can brake early and they'll randomly pull up even earlier, so you drive into the back of them. The AI is far too erratic.
Date: September 25, 2010 01:22PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
How can I turn autosave on in my profile? It's there, but greyed out and defaulted to off. I do not have an internet connection.

Thanks
Date: September 25, 2010 02:55PM
Posted by: marcl
Has anyone else noticed that the pit exist in Monaco is wrong and how much the game slows down down when going past the pits.
Date: September 25, 2010 02:59PM
Posted by: anze89
JohnMaverick Wrote:
> @anze
> You can quit the game in the Outside section under
> "My F1" (or what it's called in English version).
>

I know how to quit the game, I just don't know how to retire from a race... and reading some other forums the only possible way is by crashing into a wall

Done qualifying and tried to do a race in Melbourne:
Qualified in 8th position (in a Lotus, lol)... got 5 grid places penalty for driving backwards during free practise (damaged front wing in last corner, wanted to go a little bit back and into the pits... it didn't work out the way I wanted :D). AI is again much too slow. Started the race brilliantly, quickly got up to 7th position, was catching the guy in front quite fast and then he suddenly decided that he can go 2 seconds a lap faster than before... WTF. Before his pit stop I cought him again (because he slowed down again). And in the next lap I got a drive-through penalty for cutting the track too many times... With this my race was fuc*ed up, so I decided to crash test the car, going with full speed into the wall in the 2nd corner. And guess what... the sand stopped me before I hit the wall and I never even lifted the throttle... again, WTF. Restarted the race, was doing as good as before but this time I got a puncture... great.... closed the game, will try to finish the race in the evening.

Date: September 25, 2010 03:10PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Ok im glad it's not just me having read Fincent's post.

- The game in its current state is (in career mode, anyway) largely unplayable. Twice in a row now, running races at 50% distance, I have been running ahead of the other "tail enders - Lotus, HRT, Virgin" and I have pitted early to get off the option tyre which degrades. When I return to the track, they are further ahead than they should be and they never seem to pit. At the end of the race Senna finished 14th ahead of cars which according to the timing were lapping faster than him. So either they didn't pit or the timing is so messed up, it makes no difference. The AI is cack, the numbers in the background don't match up with what the cars are actually doing and as this is a game based on the pinnacle of motorsports, this is simply unacceptable. What a mess.

- The damage model is dire. Not only does it still, after all these years, look totally fake, losing a front wing won't affect your front end grip. At all. Rear wings are fairly impossible to knock off, indeed the whole this is far too forgiving and totally ruins the realism. Punctures are modelled well but do not delaminate. They lock up causing you to enter the corner slower but if they don't delaminate and damage the chassis, what's the bloody point?

- AI cars are made of jelly! They wobble around in braking zones and at high speed. Frankly it looks ridiculous.

- No car failures. Realism destroyed for me. No safety car either and no warm up lap.

- Pit lane, well. There's nothing right about it. Your car is sort of yanked into position as if through a wormhole and spat out at an impossibly tight angle after your tyres are put on. Sloppy.

- Some AI cars drive through each other ?

- If an AI car hits you it is ALWAYS your fault and you will ALWAYS get a warning or penalty. You cannot turn these off.

- Corner cutting detection is far, far too sensitive. Wheels on the grass? Penalty.

- The cars are too shiny. It's as if every track is a night race.

- The replay system is awful. You can only view your car and have no control of the cameras other than replay and driving cameras. The replay cam snaps back and forth between good and bad cams and more often than not misses the action. So that's utterly crap too.

- Sticky barriers at Monaco, maybe this would be better if the suspension bent and got damaged by hitting them but they don't so really they just end up stopping your car in its tracks rather than damaging it.

- Gravel traps make the car sort of turn and stop instantly. Totally unrealistic.

- The engineer lasted 10 minutes before his cringe-inducing antics forced me to banish him to the diary room.

+ The cars handle fairly well when you're on your own.

+ Graphically the game is very good.

Overall - the game is simply unfinished. There are massive issues with the AI, or lack of. It seems to be all fake to me with the actual laps the cars do not matching up with the times posted, especially in quali. Now we know why all the data such as gaps and times have been omitted from the HUD - it would take anyone with a brain ten minutes to notice. It still only took me ten minutes to notice.

The people who are bleating around saying there's nothing wrong with it and that the game is superawesome and perfect clearly have no idea what a good F1 game should be and are FAR too easily pleased.

As previously stated here I will probably finish my career but the game is so let down by the shallow AI and fake timing that it will have nothing left to offer beyond this.

Multiplayer is not affected and therefore much more enjoyable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 03:21PM by loque.
Date: September 25, 2010 03:46PM
Posted by: Thunderknight
Guimengo Wrote:
> I'm sure I'd not be the only curious person to
> want to see them! Could you save as JPG and upload
> somewhere?

Sure, if there is any problem uploading these tex, just deleted them (mod, admin, etc), or send me a PM and i will delete the links immediately. Remember when u watch them that these were converted from DDS...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

GP4 Projects: - Button, Hamilton, Di Resta, Kovalainen and Ricciardo F1 2012 Helmets Released -
My GP4 Workthread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 03:47PM by Thunderknight.
Date: September 25, 2010 04:33PM
Posted by: Jacques26
After my pitstop, the AI cars turned almost invisible, except for the driver. Anybody know a solution to this?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy