Formula Student anyone?

Posted by pankykapus 
Formula Student anyone?
Date: September 03, 2012 01:43PM
Posted by: pankykapus
Hi guys, though I'm not much of a fan of self-advertising, but I've recently made an article about the Hungarian Formula Student race after having participated as an official and a journalist simultaneously and I had had the chance to walk through the pits freely and ask about anything from anyone willing to stop to talk for a moment, and I remembered some of you here who might find this particular thing interesting.

It was a huge experience for me, and I wrote here because I wonder if any of you have taken part in such events. It's basically a competition for uni students, who build and race their own cars, and from what I've seen, it's freaking huge opportunity to get into racing and a huge step towards being for example a race engineer, this kind of working experience does have significance.

I've seen here some of you who wanted jobs at racing teams, have you considered this or have you taken part in such projects? I've just been to a FIA European Truck Championship race and one of the teams is Hungarian, and the guy who basically designed the entire racetruck for this year from the chassis to the electronics was a member of a Hungarian FS team back in '08, and through his work and connections there he is now the designer of a racing truck at the age of 27 or so.

I know it's big in Germany, but how is it received in other European countries, does the series have a huge significance elsewhere, too? Because I know here it has...

If some of you have taken part in FS, it'd be great to hear your stories, too.

Anyway have a read, it's quite interesting, and sorry for the PR crap at the beginning :) Link

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2012 01:44PM by pankykapus.
Re: Formula Student anyone?
Date: September 03, 2012 02:13PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
pankykapus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi guys, though I'm not much of a fan of
> self-advertising, but I've recently made an
> article about the Hungarian Formula Student race
> after having participated as an official and a
> journalist simultaneously and I had had the chance
> to walk through the pits freely and ask about
> anything from anyone willing to stop to talk for a
> moment, and I remembered some of you here who
> might find this particular thing interesting.
>
> It was a huge experience for me, and I wrote here
> because I wonder if any of you have taken part in
> such events. It's basically a competition for uni
> students, who build and race their own cars, and
> from what I've seen, it's freaking huge
> opportunity to get into racing and a huge step
> towards being for example a race engineer, this
> kind of working experience does have
> significance.
>
> I've seen here some of you who wanted jobs at
> racing teams, have you considered this or have you
> taken part in such projects? I've just been to a
> FIA European Truck Championship race and one of
> the teams is Hungarian, and the guy who basically
> designed the entire racetruck for this year from
> the chassis to the electronics was a member of a
> Hungarian FS team back in '08, and through his
> work and connections there he is now the designer
> of a racing truck at the age of 27 or so.
>
> I know it's big in Germany, but how is it received
> in other European countries, does the series have
> a huge significance elsewhere, too? Because I know
> here it has...
>
> If some of you have taken part in FS, it'd be
> great to hear your stories, too.
>
> Anyway have a read, it's quite interesting, and
> sorry for the PR crap at the beginning :) Link

I'm starting uni later this month and I will be doing Automotive Engineering, as the biggest selling point was Formula Student itself. It's something I've wanted to do for some time now.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: September 06, 2012 06:52AM
Posted by: Gigi4
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> I'm starting uni later this month and I will be
> doing Automotive Engineering, as the biggest
> selling point was Formula Student itself. It's
> something I've wanted to do for some time now.

Nice, automotive engineering was an option when I choose Physics 2 years ago, but there was none at my place (Perugia). However they are planning to build a car for Formula students [www.racingteam.unipg.it]

Date: September 06, 2012 01:10PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I'm at Herts uni and doing Automotive Engineering with Motorsport, I've been meaning to join the Formula Student team but health problems meant I haven't been able to :( but I'm planning to enter it this year! Can't wait :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: September 06, 2012 02:53PM
Posted by: senninho
I found out about this a few years ago - I'm not very mechanically-minded, but did have a half-hearted look at finding out how to enter as a driver ;)

Date: September 06, 2012 08:25PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
flat tyre Wrote:
> I'm at Herts uni and doing Automotive Engineering
> with Motorsport, I've been meaning to join the
> Formula Student team but health problems meant I
> haven't been able to :( but I'm planning to enter
> it this year! Can't wait :)

No way...I'm starting at Herts in two weeks ;)

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: September 07, 2012 01:12AM
Posted by: flat tyre

:-o ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: September 14, 2012 09:13PM
Posted by: sasjag
I did it when I was at Uni. Need a good team to get anything out if it, and we didn't really have that sadly so it wasn't as useful as you'd think.

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: April 30, 2014 06:51PM
Posted by: SupraRacing55
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but does anybody know is it possible to become a driver through formula student or is it just about engineering?
Date: May 05, 2014 07:17AM
Posted by: mr.napa-br
It's a whole lot more about engineering than driving. The drivers must be enrolled at the uni they represent, so the majority of the field is amateur or close to it. Of course having a great driver will really help on the dynamic events (autocross, endurance, skidpad and so on), but compared to the points awarded for the design of the car itself, and the engineering behind it, the driver influence is somewhat limited.

I am part of my uni's Formula SAE team here in Brazil (http://www.poliracing.com.br/?lang=en -- one of the best!), and it is quite an experience and really fun for us gearheads, but not quite the front door to professional driving.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy