Networking question??? [fixed :-)]

Posted by mortal 
Networking question??? [fixed :-)]
Date: March 16, 2012 09:48AM
Posted by: mortal
I have a Netgear ADSL Wireless router Model No. DGN1000. One computer is permanently on the LAN by cable, as is the VOIP box. Three computers, one Android tablet and a wireless ip camera are also on the LAN connected by Wifi. There is also on the LAN one Wifi Extender, it re-broadcasts the Wifi to the other end of the house so there is full coverage. The router firewall has the ip of the camera and the voip box inserted as does the services for the port forwarding for these devices.
The LAN has this computer I'm using right now on the address reservation page assigned as 192.168.0.2, the gateway is 192.168.0.1 The voip box is assigned 192.168.0.3, the camera is assigned 192.168.0.12:81, Troy's laptop is assigned 192.168.0.11, Jenny's laptop is assigned 192.168.0.8, Jenny's tower is assigned 192.168.0.4, the extender is assigned 192.168.0.7. This info is on the LAN address reservation page of the router.
However, today I turned off the ip camera, to move the bracket a few inches, and when I turned it back on, even though the lan address reservation page shows it as 192.168.0.12:81, it's actual ip is now 192.168.0.9:81, forcing me to change every instance of software that accesses the camera on all the computers.
So I look at the attached devices page and right now my ip is 192.168.0.6, the voip is now 192.168.0.10, and Troy's laptop is 192.168.0.13 and the ip camera is still on 192.168.0.9, probably as it has not been turned off since I fiddled with the bracket this morning.
The router has DHCP enabled, starting at 192.168.0.2 and ending at 192.168.0.254.
My question is; how is it that devices are changing their ip addresses when they have supposedly been reserved, why am I being forced to fiddle with the damn settings every time something is turned on or off? I would have thought that if a device had the ip address reserved in the router it would use that address when connecting to the LAN.
Apparently not, causing all sorts of dramas where I am being accused of rigging the internet so some users cannot get online, which is not the case at all, or the damn voip box goes offline, rendering the phone line useless.
I'm the sucker that's actually paying for it! Everyone else in the house is getting it for free so they should stop their whining when it goes down lol!
So, I know it's a possible TL;DR but any ideas on how to solve this problem. I'd be eternally gratefull. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2012 12:21AM by mortal.
Re: Networking question???
Date: March 16, 2012 07:41PM
Posted by: gav
I'm pretty much the opposite of a network guru, but you need to set a static address on the device(s) too.

Reserving the address on the router alone won't do anything. In fact, if the devices are set to a dynamic address rather than a static one, then it will have the exact opposite effect, forcing the devices to use another IP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2012 07:43PM by gav.
Date: March 16, 2012 10:13PM
It appears you are correct. I will do some fiddling with it later today. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 16, 2012 10:39PM
Posted by: truecrysis
I too am no expert when it comes to this, but my dad runs a network, and whenever i want to connect a device/pc/laptop to it, my MAC address has to registered as opposed to an ip address, possibly to do with ips can change (dynamic ips as gav said). Might be completely off, but you may have to do the same for yours?

Tis just a guess though, as i said, i really have no informed idea ;)

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2012 10:39PM by truecrysis.
Date: March 17, 2012 12:21AM
Well, this morning I opened the network properties for each computer and set a static ip for each one, including the voip box and the extender and that has fixed it for now. :-)

Re: Networking question??? [fixed :-)]
Date: March 20, 2012 08:47PM
Posted by: Vader
Looks like it has defraggled your mother disk.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy