USA Shuts Down Megaupload!

Posted by Morbid 
USA Shuts Down Megaupload!
Date: January 20, 2012 06:40PM
Posted by: Morbid
Yep. It's gone...

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/01/20/usa-shuts-down-megaupload/][/url]

The founder and three others were arrested Thursday in New Zealand at the request of U.S. officials. Lot's of modding communities are gonna be hit hard by this. If SOPA and PIPA are made US law, then this is just the beginning.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Re: USA Shuts Down Megaupload!
Date: January 20, 2012 07:55PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
The weirdest thing is we're talking one of the world's most powerful countries with a huge economy. And they're going down the censorship route, which is what North Korea do. I'm perplexed to say the least, and I hope that Obama sees sense and vetoes the bill (it's a Republican bill, right?).

Hoping the UK doesn't follow suit, David Cameron's done enough to piss me off...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 20, 2012 09:22PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Obama and his party do oppose the bill, at least in its current state, but while he can veto something done by congress, it can still pass if it has 2/3 of the votes in favor of it. Here's an issue: the Republican party dominates congress, it's a major reason why the president hasn't been able to do simply due to the fact that parties prefer to vote down a good bill just because it wasn't created by them.
Date: January 20, 2012 11:25PM
Posted by: loren
I don't think it's really a matter of Republican or Democrat. The Dems have a majority in the Senate which has proposed a similar bill. Don't forget that the film industry, which has pushed for such bills, tends towards the Democrats if anything. The politicians have obviously noticed that people (even if a small minority) were pretty outraged about this stuff. I'm sure this isn't the last we'll see of this issue, but I imagine future bills will have more clearly defined limits on the government's power.
Date: January 21, 2012 03:30AM
Posted by: mortal
What I heard on JJJ radio news was that there is some sort of money-laundering involved, a sum of 21M was mentioned, as well as the copyright infringement. If they can shut down megaupload, the likes of rapidshare and mediafire, to name just two, would be doomed as well.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 21, 2012 03:56AM
I read the owner of the site made over $150 million dollars last year and that they pay certain people to upload copyrighted material.
Date: January 21, 2012 04:01PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I heard on JJJ radio news was that there is
> some sort of money-laundering involved, a sum of
> 21M was mentioned, as well as the copyright
> infringement. If they can shut down megaupload,
> the likes of rapidshare and mediafire, to name
> just two, would be doomed as well.

Basically every site that has user interaction is in danger - from Facebook, to YouTube and even this site...

I do find it ironic that The Pirate Bay are campaigning against it though - they have some gall!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 21, 2012 06:34PM
Posted by: EC83
It never fails to annoy me that online piracy is treated as harshly as it is - especially by the USA of all countries. I agree totally with the blackout by Wiki and other sites, and I'm glad that(unusually) it seems to have actually had some effect.

Date: January 21, 2012 06:58PM
Posted by: 3tec
Date: January 21, 2012 07:51PM
Guimengo Wrote:
> I read the owner of the site made over $150
> million dollars last year and that they pay
> certain people to upload copyrighted material.

Innocent until proven guilty. That is how the rule of law works. It is called due process.

If PIPA and or SOPA go through, that will be put out of effect. Everyone can accuse you of piracy, and your site will be shut down, no questions asked, no courts orders, no cease and desist involved. Just some bureaucrat sitting at a desk pushing a button. With the current legislation, 40% of the sites that are shut down are not piracy sites at all, but small business competitors of those that report them. This is not small numbers, it is thousands and thousands of businesses and people that are unjustly sanctioned as it is now. Some of them wait up towards a year to get their sites reopened. With PIPA/SOPA this is going to be pure anarchy.

So... if you are an american, send a letter to your congressman and your senator. Let them know that you don't want this garbage shoved down your throat! Don't delay. DO IT NOW!

Date: January 21, 2012 10:52PM
The dramatic raid and subsequent arrest of Kim Dotcom.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 22, 2012 12:18AM
Morbid Wrote:
> Guimengo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I read the owner of the site made over $150
> > million dollars last year and that they pay
> > certain people to upload copyrighted material.
>
> Innocent until proven guilty. That is how the rule
> of law works. It is called due process.
>
> If PIPA and or SOPA go through, that will be put
> out of effect. Everyone can accuse you of piracy,
> and your site will be shut down, no questions
> asked, no courts orders, no cease and desist
> involved. Just some bureaucrat sitting at a desk
> pushing a button. With the current legislation,
> 40% of the sites that are shut down are not piracy
> sites at all, but small business competitors of
> those that report them. This is not small numbers,
> it is thousands and thousands of businesses and
> people that are unjustly sanctioned as it is now.
> Some of them wait up towards a year to get their
> sites reopened. With PIPA/SOPA this is going to be
> pure anarchy.
>
> So... if you are an american, send a letter to
> your congressman and your senator. Let them know
> that you don't want this garbage shoved down your
> throat! Don't delay. DO IT NOW!

Don't have to be a citizen, just at least a resident. I e-mailed mine about 10 days ago :).
Date: January 22, 2012 02:05AM
That's cool. Doing anything we can(even as people from the UK and other non-US countries) to try and get these retarded bills booted out isn't even important, it's a necessity really.

Date: January 22, 2012 07:43AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
Just the other day a good mate of mine and I were tossing up biting the bullet and signing up to mega upload, since we'd been using it a fair bit to *acquire* TV shows not broadcast here. He even made the point of saying we should only do the short term amounts despite missing out on savings because "they'll probably shut it down before we get our money's worth". Psychic stuff!
Date: January 22, 2012 10:20AM
Posted by: gav
You do realise that your good mate works for the FBI, right?
Date: January 23, 2012 12:10AM
Posted by: matt3454
filesonic is gone now as well :(

Date: January 23, 2012 01:28AM
WTF is wrong with these people? Nevermind the people who are actually criminals committing actual crimes elsewhere, if someone even does something that might cost certain corporate organisations a bit of money they'll have a hissy fit over it.
@#$%& off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 01:29AM by EC83.
Date: January 23, 2012 01:30AM
Upload a Michael Jackson album.....get five years.....kill Michael Jackson......get four.

Date: January 23, 2012 01:54AM
LMAO! Nice summing up. :D

Date: January 23, 2012 09:36AM
matt3454 Wrote:
> filesonic is gone now as well :(

Not quite. Filesonic got scared after what happened to megaupload. They have not been threatened, but they still shut down their services. You can now only download files that are uploaded by the same account that downloads it. That is going to be another hard blow to modding communities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2012 09:36AM by Morbid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy