iSlave behind the iPhone: Foxconn Workers in Central China

Posted by Morbid 
A report detailing the work conditions for the people that make the iPhone. Read it if you dare.

[makeitfair.org]

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
The site refuses to load for me. However I read about this some months ago, that there was a lot of suicides (of workers) and the conditions were by western standards appalling. I would have thought that by now something had been done to improve the conditions. I wouldn't buy an Apple product, and I suspect if the main stream media was to publicise this a lot of other people wouldn't either.
I'd like to read it, could you up a file or something please and link it here. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
The wave of suicides was at the plant at Shenzhen. Earlier reports have described the inhumane working conditions at the Foxconn plant at Chengdu. This report concerns itself with the conditions at the iPhone plant in Zhengzhou.

Alternate link for the pdf:

[www.megaupload.com]

The suicide rate for China is 14 per 100,000 (according to the WHO). Foxconn employes 800,000 people. 300,000 at the Shenzhen plant. This means that the number of suicides should be 33 per. In 2010, there were 10. McDonalds has a higher suicide rate than Foxconn.

Foxconn has a lower suicide rate than the country it operates in. It also supplies almost every electronics manufacturer you are aware of. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Samsung, Dell, Nokia, HP, the list is endless. But I guess nobody gives a @#$%& about who they supply if it doesn't have that little Apple logo on it do they.

Enjoy this thread, because I'll be passing on it now that I've left these fun little facts here for people to ignore and attempt to somehow justify.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2011 12:46PM by DaveEllis.
And exactly how does your little rant address the appalling working conditions described in this report? I didn't catch it, because I don't see a single point addressed at all. TBH, I think dismissing a report before you even read a single line in it, is worthy of the definition of denial. Of course, if you didn't deny, you would stop enjoying your little toys, and we can't have that, can we?

Not having read the article, the first post looks to me that it's not about who they supply, or the apparent suicide rate, it is about the work conditions. Thanks for the up, I'll read it later and perhaps comment on it.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
I might add to that, that the above "facts" are upon further investigation not facts at all.

- 300.000 people do not work at the Shenzhen iPod plant. They work at the Longhua Science & Technology Park in Shenzhen. That park contains among other facilities some 15 factories, grocery stores, banks, restaurants, bookstores, a hospital, and a TV channel called Foxconn TV. It goes without saying, that working conditions are not the same at an iPod assembly line, as they are in a bank. Thus the suicide rate applied on 300.000 people is grossly misleading.

- Thus the conclusion that the Foxconn suicide rate is lower than the country they operate in is therefore also erroneous.

- The number of suicides at the plant in 2010 was not 10, but 14. This is the official number published by Foxconn. Nobody knows how many actually committed suicide. It also became a lot harder to do, when Foxconn spread out netting from the dormitory buildings.

- Apple themselves carried out an audit of the reported conditions at Shenzhen, and could verify that several of the reports were actually true. Unfortunately, this seems to have led to very little in the way of change.

- The list of Foxconn clients is not endless. A more accurate list would be: Apple Inc., Acer Inc., Amazon.com, Asus, ASRock, Intel, Cisco, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Nintendo, Nokia, Microsoft, MSI, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, Vizio.

btw, my phone is made by Samsung ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 01:47PM by Morbid.
mine by RIM ;)...

wow that's pretty scary what i just read, i also watched the video... i had a job at a call center a few years ago, i tought it was horrible, i even had nightmares of it, and in them. i quit the job lol.. but looking at it from this perspective it was a paradise....

but still i feel there's a lot of opportunism to give bad propaganda to Apple... China should protect their people a lot more.. this is totally unaceptable
Morbid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> btw, my phone is made by Samsung ;-)

so is mine. hi 5?

(Obviously) ALL corporations exploit Asian work force:

____
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy