F1 Manager - 2005 Season - End of the Season!

Posted by Twigster151 
I don't agree with having multiple contracts as it then gets a hell of a lot more confusing

Agreed. What if we than forget about everything....
JohnWarrington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't agree with having multiple contracts as it
> then gets a hell of a lot more confusing

Did it not occur to you to mention this when the idea was first proposed?! If I had known there were people apposed to idea I would have thought twice about implementing it in the first place! It would have saved an awful lot of hassle on my part...

So now that people have actually decided to reveal that they don't want multi-year contracts about four months too late I guess we'll have to put it to a vote. I take it Jake, John and Rick are against it, but it'll all depend on what the rest of the managers want.

EDIT: ignore me, I'm an idiot ;)

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2011 09:18PM by Twigster151.
Sorry, I wasn't aware when it was first proposed...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Whats the problem with the multiyear contracts? What's so confusing?

a) If it is the way to calculate the offer - there's still option for just 1 year contracts. No team manager is obliged to sign 2 or 3-year contracts. It's just a possibility which will make the game more realistic, will make the role of the third driver more meaningful and useful and I think will make the game more interesting.

b) If it is the way to calclulate which offer is better if there are 2+ offers for any driver - it was and it still is a problem for Twigster131, not team managers. So if he suggest that - then he thinks it's not such a problem

c) If it is that some team managers wouldn't know the durability of some contracts - I'm sure on the first page there will be a list of drivers contracts. Plus I'm sure twigster131 won't put any driver on the market if he isn't free or at least on his last year of his contract.

I'm not Twigster131's advocate or something like that, but I just see no point in refusing this system. And I think JohnWarrington will benefit a lot from that system with his tendency to sign young prospects like Vettel or Rosberg. By hiring them for a longer period he'll be sure that once they develop their talents they'll stay for some more time with the team and won't leave it at the peak of their careers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2011 06:46PM by pycku.
One thing I want to know is if we sign a driver to a multi year contract, how is the budget for the next season be worked out? This is the main thing I'm confused about. Apologies if I'm being thick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2011 06:47PM by JohnWarrington.
I vote for it because I still think it would be good to have multi-year contracts, even if it makes it much more difficult to keep track of all contracts that have been concluded. But I think that can be solved by a well-structured excel file. There are also two more things that I think we need to clarify if we introduce it, but I'll come back to that after the vote.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
JohnWarrington Wrote:
> One thing I want to know is if we sign a driver to
> a multi year contract, how is the budget for the
> next season be worked out? This is the main thing
> I'm confused about. Apologies if I'm being thick

I assume you're talking about how we go about deducting to cost from the teams budget when a team signs a driver on a two or three contract? As if we were to simply deduct the whole cost of the contract the team in question would have a ridiculous amount of money the next season.

Well if you were to sign a driver on a two year contract you would pay half of the total price of the contract when you actually sign the driver and half would be automatically deducted from your team budget next season. So say you were to resign Vettel for this year on a two year contract in order to keep him at McLaren until the end of 2007 for a fee of let's say £16m. You would pay £8m out of your 2006 Team Budget, then when we get around to starting contract negotiations for 2007 £8m will be automatically deducted from your budget before you start signing contracts for 2007. The benefits of this would be that, on paper at least, signing Vettel on a two year contract would work out to be cheaper than signing him on two one year deals this year and during the 2006 season and of course there is no danger of him losing him to another team. I know it's a very basic example but you can see the gist of the idea.

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

Forget about the two things, the first was the same John was talking about, the second was about several teams offering different (in lenght) contracts to the same driver (I missed it on the last page and also forgot about the solution I suggested ;))

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Aah, that clears it up wonderfully. I like it, and perhaps in retrospect I was a little confused.

I'm up for that, gives us the chance to develop some young drivers.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> Aah, that clears it up wonderfully. I like it, and
> perhaps in retrospect I was a little confused.
>
> I'm up for that, gives us the chance to develop
> some young drivers.

Ah, in that case I guess it's my fault for not explaining it properly :/ so apologies for my little outburst, it's just that I've not had the best of days ;)

Twigster151 Wrote:
> Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Aah, that clears it up wonderfully. I like it,
> and
> > perhaps in retrospect I was a little confused.
> >
> > I'm up for that, gives us the chance to develop
> > some young drivers.
>
> Ah, in that case I guess it's my fault for not
> explaining it properly :/ so apologies for my
> little outburst, it's just that I've not had the
> best of days ;)

Don't worry, happens to the best of people. That's just the way the cookie crumbles...

I like the multi-year idea :) It definately adds realism to the case!

If you are racing, keep on racing and get some points!

GPG Super League S11 | Driver #41 | Team-manager | Snake Motorsports Racing Group | Next Race: Emmeloord - Flevoland GP | Constructors: 10th | Best Race Finish: 1st
GPG Super League Season 9 Testers Champion*
Mogotron Takes Over at Sauber

After the previous team manager at Sauber Captinfranko decided to step down due to other commitments this left Sauber boss-less for the second time in two seasons. Luckily however they today announced that they have successful hired the manager of the GP2 team iSport International Mogotron in the hope that he will be able to turn the teams fortunes around.

Twigster151 Wrote:
> JohnWarrington Wrote:
> -----
> > One thing I want to know is if we sign a driver
> to
> > a multi year contract, how is the budget for
> the
> > next season be worked out? This is the main
> thing
> > I'm confused about. Apologies if I'm being
> thick
>
> I assume you're talking about how we go about
> deducting to cost from the teams budget when a
> team signs a driver on a two or three contract? As
> if we were to simply deduct the whole cost of the
> contract the team in question would have a
> ridiculous amount of money the next season.
>
> Well if you were to sign a driver on a two year
> contract you would pay half of the total price of
> the contract when you actually sign the driver and
> half would be automatically deducted from your
> team budget next season. So say you were to resign
> Vettel for this year on a two year contract in
> order to keep him at McLaren until the end of 2007
> for a fee of let's say £16m. You would pay £8m
> out of your 2006 Team Budget, then when we get
> around to starting contract negotiations for 2007
> £8m will be automatically deducted from your
> budget before you start signing contracts for
> 2007. The benefits of this would be that, on paper
> at least, signing Vettel on a two year contract
> would work out to be cheaper than signing him on
> two one year deals this year and during the 2006
> season and of course there is no danger of him
> losing him to another team. I know it's a very
> basic example but you can see the gist of the
> idea.

Ah I understand it now. That seems much better :)

Sauber new principal Mogotron.

"I am delighted to have the opportunity to manage in F1, don't get me wrong GP2 is a great place to be, I am planing on staying as the ISport team manager at gp2 as well if that is not a problem, but we will monitor both of our drivers in F1 and make a decision on what direction the team should take, but there will be some changes"
mogotron Wrote:
> Sauber new principal Mogotron.
>
>
> "I am delighted to have the opportunity to manage
> in F1, don't get me wrong GP2 is a great place to
> be, I am planing on staying as the ISport team
> manager at gp2 as well if that is not a problem,

> but we will monitor both of our drivers in F1 and
> make a decision on what direction the team should
> take, but there will be some changes"

I'm afraid that this probably will not be possible as it's not exactly fair to anyone who wishes to join the series if we have members running more than one team, and it would cause quite a bit of trouble once contract negociations get underway, and it would also mean that Sauber own two teams in GP2. You'll have to check with Reve to see if he is alright with you running the iSport team whilst he is looking for a replacement, as it his series afterall, but in my personal opinion it is not a plausible option.

Twigster151 schrieb:
> mogotron Wrote:
> -----
> > Sauber new principal Mogotron.
> >
> >
> > "I am delighted to have the opportunity to
> manage
> > in F1, don't get me wrong GP2 is a great place
> to
> > be, I am planing on staying as the ISport team
> > manager at gp2 as well if that is not a
> problem,
> > but we will monitor both of our drivers in F1
> and
> > make a decision on what direction the team
> should
> > take, but there will be some changes"
>
> I'm afraid that this probably will not be possible
> as it's not exactly fair to anyone who wishes to
> join the series if we have members running more
> than one team, and it would cause quite a bit of
> trouble once contract negociations get underway,
> and it would also mean that Sauber own two teams
> in GP2. You'll have to check with Reve to see if
> he is alright with you running the iSport team
> whilst he is looking for a replacement, as it his
> series afterall, but in my personal opinion it is
> not a plausible option.

Same opinion here. You can manage the team as long as their is no new driver found, but for the above mentioned reasons you can´t stay the active manager.

As for multi-year contracts: I had something like this in my mind as well, still I my idea looked a bit different. Let´s take Michael Schumacher for example:
Signing him for one year costs 15m, while contracting him for 2 years costs 24m (I don´t recognize the prices, but I think it was similiar to that). This means, a manager had to pay 12m per year. As Schumacher is an Ace driver, everyone who wouldn´t try to get him for the most available years would be silly. This leads to my conclusion, that drivers (especially good drivers) should be getting more expensive for more year contracts.

Or an even easier idea: Twigster posts one minimum contract offer, like in the 2004 season. The managers will now send in their offers and besides just sending the offer they as well state for how many seasons they want to sign him. Based on logic and the bidded offers, Twigster decides who signs the driver. A little example for Schumacher (based on 2004 season):

Ferrari offers 16m for 3 season.
Williams offers 16m for 1 seasons.

Schumacher decides to join Williams, because they won the championship and he hopes to get a fast car for next year again. Still, if they would´ve offered a multi-year contract, he probably wouldn´t have joined, as Williams is not always on the top of the teams, as Ferrari is. And if the team sucks this season, what of it. Schumacher is an awesome driver and as long as he outclases his teammate he will probably get a good offer for the next season again. On the other side, young drivers would accept the longer contracts for sure, as that means they have a future in F1 - money only comes second (or third if team performances have a role as well)

So far for my little proposal :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 10:47AM by Reve-san.
JohnWarrington Wrote:
> I also think the current team should have first
> option if they want to retain their driver.
> Meaning they don't have to shell out over the odds
> for the driver.

That's why i introduced the rule about a driver will accept an offer from his current team even if it is £500k less then the highest bid. Maybe could increase that to £1m-£1.5m?
On the multi year deal thing. I think the team that offers a longer contract should get the preference because drivers will be looking for job security

Retro Liveries on the SMD-ZG02![www.grandprixgames.org]
Retro Renders 2.0 on the SMD-ZG02LN![www.grandprixgames.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy