F1 Manager - 2005 Season - End of the Season!

Posted by Twigster151 
Red Bull Racing

We couldn't be more delighted to the start of the season Robert is enjoying. To be equal leader of the championship for a rookie who has only started to races is amazing. On Marks side of the garage things aren't quite so rosy. We need to get on top of this problem quick.

Retro Liveries on the SMD-ZG02![www.grandprixgames.org]
Retro Renders 2.0 on the SMD-ZG02LN![www.grandprixgames.org]
Williams F1 Statement
"Good result for us thanks to Alonso,Montoya,Vettel,etc.etc.;)"

My GPGSL Career
ashgjkhf.

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2011 05:57PM by Twigster151.
So it will cost me 52m to resign my team I have now for one year and that's sticking to those prices, which wont happen. Wow

Woah what a race.
The heat of malaysia found his victims
Poor Juan Pablo and fernando but great for Kimi

This is gonna be a great season after 2 races 4 drivers with 10 points in the front of the field!!

Great

But I found a failure ;-)

Team 6: Sauber
Team Principle: Captinfranko
Driver 1: #12 Nick Heidfeld
Driver 2: #13 Jenson Button
Test Driver: Heikki Kovalainen
Engine: Petronas
Brakes: Brembo
Tyres: Bridgestone

Driver numbers got to be #11 and #12.

Cheers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2011 03:55AM by M.R..
JohnWarrington Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So it will cost me 52m to resign my team I have
> now for one year and that's sticking to those
> prices, which wont happen. Wow

I agree, the future prices of drivers are way over inflated. For example, you have Webber going up by 6m. What if he has a terrible year (which he is at the moment), shouldn't his price go down?

If you keep increasing the drivers salaries then you need to do the same for team budgets.

Retro Liveries on the SMD-ZG02![www.grandprixgames.org]
Retro Renders 2.0 on the SMD-ZG02LN![www.grandprixgames.org]
Bare in mind that these are just a first draft and one of the reasons I posted them so early was to receive feedback from you guys so they could be adjusted before it was too late. So for now just add around another £15 million to each of your budgets and I'll update the table when I have access to my laptop later today, and I may also adjust a couple of the driver salaries then as well :)

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

I'm not in this series but let me tell you what I think:

About driver salaries - I agree they need adjustment. I can't see any reason Jos "the Boss" to cost (merely) twice as much as Massa even in 3 years deal. In 2006 he will be 34-5 while Massa - about 10 years younger.

But I don't quite agree teams' budgets should increase. At least not much. Even now the teams with smallest budgets (Jordan/ Minardi/ Arrows) have 43 millions. if they pay about 26 mln for the best brakes and one of the best engines - they will have about 17 mln for drivers and testing. With these money they can even get one of the top drivers(12-15mln) + 2 rookies/cheap drivers (about 2-3 millions). Don't forget that some GP2 drivers cost less than 1mln!

So with a budget of 50mln you should be able to get (almost) best possible engine/brakes/drivers and test.

And given that teams get budgets about 70-80 millions this will lead that they can afford to pay about 20-25 mln per season for a driver and get 2-3 young drivers. GP2 teams will have to satisfy with young drivers from the midfield of junior series or hope there's still some drivers below 30 that aren't contracted with F1. Which isn't the main idea of the series.

What I suggest is that F1 teams get even smaller budget for a start (for example Minardi to start with 30 mln) but they receive some sum at the end of the season as reward, as in GP2. For example 11th gets 8mln, 10th - 10mln, 9th - 13mln and so on (that system can have lots of variations). In that case those who don't progress well would be punished. For example if McLaren repeat their disastrous performance from 2004 season (I wish them not to) - they'll have smaller budget and most probably will have to get cheaper drivers so they'll fight with teams in the middle to get back on top. On the other hand if Jordan keep on their pace this season they'll guarantee much more than these 43 millions they are supposed to get now.

also if teams are given more money it is possible that a new testing system is introduced. So that every test a team participate they'll get the possibility to improve their performance with let's say 1% but that will cost additional 1mln (or other sum). And teams from bottom may improve with 1.5% from their performance (as you know it is easier when you're 2 seconds behind to make it 1 second, but the final tenths are the hardest). But this may make the system quite hard and may destroy the balance.

After all I'm not in F1 series, I just say what I think may improve the game. It's up to you. And whenever I point any numbers (millions, percentage) - I must say this isn't important as these numbers may change. The general idea is more important.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2011 12:01PM by pycku.
I would personally keep it to a yearly basis for drivers. The reason i done it that way was so that years budget got spent on drivers for that year. Otherwise you could find teams contracting a driver for two/three years, leaving them with a shed load of cash the following season to sign their other driver. I wouldn't increase the teams money, otherwise we will see silly overpriced offers for drivers and smaller teams will still find themselves struggling
Well if 3-year contract is signed - is all the sum payed from the budget for this year? I thought it's just 1/3 of the sum. And if the contract is for 2 years - just 1/2 of the sum should be paid now.
I appreciate multiyear contracts and I think they are for good. But I think that drivers aged above 34-5-6 years should have just a slightly increased salaries for 3 years, compared with their salary for 2 years. Just like what it is with HH Frentzen and not what is the situation with Verstappen and Villeneuve. what is more - the increase betwen 1 year deal and 2 year deal with Verstappen is 7mln, but then he gets 8 mln for his third year!? The same is with M Schumacher - he increases his salary with 11 millions for the second year, but then he wants 13 millions for his third year.

I don't quite get why JP Montoya costs more than K Raikkonen if they are signed for 1 or 3-year deal, but Kimi is more expensive if they are for 2-years contracts. I know these are just base salaries, but all this doesn't sound logical to me.

So maybe driver salaries should be revised, but I admire the idea that the team can sign with a driver for more than just a year.
I'm also not in F1 yet and I won't give too much of my opinion here. But concerning multi-year contracts, it's the same problem here as in GP2. I don't actually see the reason to spend money for a test driver, build up his perf just to lose him to another team at the end of the season. Where's the sense in that? A test driver actually only makes worth the money and the effort in FPs when the driver can be bound to the team for at least 2-3 years to build up his perf and then have a good driver for yourself or can sell him to another team with some win.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
Toyota

Another solid job from ralf to pick up a fine 6th place so happy for him..cristiano on the other hand had another bad race,need him to find his form from last year so we can push forward in the constuctors battle :)
pycku Wrote:
> I'm not in this series but let me tell you what I
> think:
> But I don't quite agree teams' budgets should
> increase. At least not much. Even now the teams
> with smallest budgets (Jordan/ Minardi/ Arrows)
> have 43 millions. if they pay about 26 mln for the
> best brakes and one of the best engines - they
> will have about 17 mln for drivers and testing.
> With these money they can even get one of the top
> drivers(12-15mln) + 2 rookies/cheap drivers (about
> 2-3 millions). Don't forget that some GP2 drivers
> cost less than 1mln!

Bare in mind that these are the minimum contract cost so it is very unlikely that you would be able to sign the drivers list above, at least those in the top 10 I'd say, for their minimum contract values.

> So with a budget of 50mln you should be able to
> get (almost) best possible engine/brakes/drivers
> and test.

Not really. There is of course a limited amount of drivers so not all the teams will be able to get/afford the best drivers. Also as you can see above there is also a limited amount of engines available so not everyone will be able to get the best engine and the majority of the teams already have what is on paper the best brakes and as they don't have a massive impact on the perfs this isn't really a big problem. Also as we saw last season if teams are unable to afford mid-season testing then they will get left behind, therefore by having slightly bigger budgets this will give them more leeway so they will be able to compete in the bidding wars whilst also allowing them to at least have some mid-season testing.

> And given that teams get budgets about 70-80
> millions this will lead that they can afford to
> pay about 20-25 mln per season for a driver and
> get 2-3 young drivers. GP2 teams will have to
> satisfy with young drivers from the midfield of
> junior series or hope there's still some drivers
> below 30 that aren't contracted with F1. Which
> isn't the main idea of the series.

The vast majority of F1 teams will only bother to sign three drivers and McLaren are the first team in the three season that this series has been going to sign a fourth. So there should still be plently of F1 drivers avaliable for the GP2 teams and anyway, the vast majority of drivers on the list above won't be eligible to race in GP2. Besides GP2 teams should realistically be looking to sign the midfield drivers in GP2 as isn't that the reason the GP2 series was created in real life? So the top drivers in GP2 move up to F1 and the younger midfield drivers take up their places?

> What I suggest is that F1 teams get even smaller
> budget for a start (for example Minardi to start
> with 30 mln) but they receive some sum at the end
> of the season as reward, as in GP2. For example
> 11th gets 8mln, 10th - 10mln, 9th - 13mln and so
> on (that system can have lots of variations). In
> that case those who don't progress well would be
> punished. For example if McLaren repeat their
> disastrous performance from 2004 season (I wish
> them not to) - they'll have smaller budget and
> most probably will have to get cheaper drivers so
> they'll fight with teams in the middle to get
> back on top. On the other hand if Jordan keep on
> their pace this season they'll guarantee much more
> than these 43 millions they are supposed to get
> now.

This years budgets were designated with last years results in mind, but I didn't use the system that is used in GP2 so there are a few exceptions, but it's quite likely that it will be used next season.

> also if teams are given more money it is possible
> that a new testing system is introduced. So that
> every test a team participate they'll get the
> possibility to improve their performance with
> let's say 1% but that will cost additional 1mln
> (or other sum). And teams from bottom may improve
> with 1.5% from their performance (as you know it
> is easier when you're 2 seconds behind to make it
> 1 second, but the final tenths are the hardest).
> But this may make the system quite hard and may
> destroy the balance.

IMO this just over complicates the testing system. The new system I started using this season has closed the gap between the teams from nearly 2 seconds from first to last place, to just over a second covering the field and reliability now being a major issue for a number of teams, therefore I see no reason to change the system again.

Chris2k6 Wrote:
> I would personally keep it to a yearly basis for
> drivers. The reason i done it that way was so that
> years budget got spent on drivers for that year.
> Otherwise you could find teams contracting a
> driver for two/three years, leaving them with a
> shed load of cash the following season to sign
> their other driver.

I was planning to combat this issue by charging the teams a third of the total price they paid, or half, depending on the length of the contract. This of course means that the contract prices will have to be adjusted to ensure that two and three contracts are better value that one year contracts over the long run.

Thanks for the reply. How will you combat the issue of one team
Bidding for a driver on a 1 year contract and another team bidding for the same driver but for a 2 or 3 year contract say?
Twigster151 Wrote:
> pycku Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

> Bare in mind that these are the minimum contract
> cost so it is very unlikely that you would be able
> to sign the drivers list above, at least those in
> the top 10 I'd say, for their minimum contract
> values.

Okay but if every team has 10-15 millions more - it will only make drivers cost more.

> The vast majority of F1 teams will only bother to
> sign three drivers and McLaren are the first team
> in the three season that this series has been
> going to sign a fourth. So there should still be
> plently of F1 drivers avaliable for the GP2 teams
> and anyway, the vast majority of drivers on the
> list above won't be eligible to race in GP2.
> Besides GP2 teams should realistically be looking
> to sign the midfield drivers in GP2 as isn't that
> the reason the GP2 series was created in real
> life? So the top drivers in GP2 move up to F1 and
> the younger midfield drivers take up their
> places?

Well if teams have 10-15 millions more - guess where they will be spent :) either giving bigger salaries or hiring 2 (or even 3) test drivers.
And in real life GP2 is the last step before Formula 1 for about 90% of drivers. I think best young drivers from junior series (Formula Renault 3.5 for example) first go to GP2 for at least a season before joining F1. And the main idea of GP2 is to give these drivers opportunity to be on the final step before F1, so that they gain the experience needed. That was the case with Rosberg, Piquet, Hamilton, Perez, Kobayashi, Petrov, Senna, Buemi, Kovalainen, Glock, d'Ambrosio, Maldonado... or merely every young driver entered F1 since GP2 was created. Exceptions from this rule were Sutil, Algersuari, Vettel, di Resta, maybe there are 1 or 2 more. But this makes less than 1 talent a year to jump directly from junior series to Formula 1, without participating in GP2.

> This years budgets were designated with last years
> results in mind, but I didn't use the system that
> is used in GP2 so there are a few exceptions, but
> it's quite likely that it will be used next
> season.

good to hear that.

>
> IMO this just over complicates the testing system.
> The new system I started using this season has
> closed the gap between the teams from nearly 2
> seconds from first to last place, to just over a
> second covering the field and reliability now
> being a major issue for a number of teams,
> therefore I see no reason to change the system
> again.

I said this is just a suggestion (as everything i said) so it's up to you.

You shouldn't think I'm criticizing or something like that. I think you and Reve-san are doing great job and thank you for doing so. But these are just thing I think will make the game even better.
Chris2k6 Wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. How will you combat the
> issue of one team
> Bidding for a driver on a 1 year contract and
> another team bidding for the same driver but for a
> 2 or 3 year contract say?

I believe I asked the exact same question when the idea was first suggested ;) Luckily Kedy came up with a good solution.

kedy89
In case that a driver is offered a 1 year contract and another for 2 or 3 years by different managers I would propose this system:

-driver X demands £9m for 1 year, £17m for 2 years and £25m for 3 years
-manager A offers £10m for 1 year, manager B £26.5m for 3 years and manager C £17.5m for 2 years
-now we have following difference between offer and demand: A +£1m, B +£1.5m and C +£0.5m
-manager B has the biggest difference so he can sign driver X

I think this would be the most easy way to compare the offers.

This system sounds good, but maybe surplus should be divided to the number of years.

What i mean is that if Team A offers 3 year contract with a surplus of 3 mlns and Team B offers 1 year contract with 1.5 mlns Team B should get the driver. This is because 3mlns:3=1mln per season surplus for team A and team B offers 1.5 mln more

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2011 08:04PM by pycku.
This is just really confusing...I might have to operate on a one-season basis...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
I also think the current team should have first option if they want to retain their driver. Meaning they don't have to shell out over the odds for the driver.

JohnWarrington Wrote:
> I also think the current team should have first
> option if they want to retain their driver.
> Meaning they don't have to shell out over the odds
> for the driver.

But then that surely defies the point of having multi-year contracts in the first place...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy