GP4 Physics

Posted by auscain 
GP4 Physics
Date: February 21, 2010 07:58AM
Posted by: auscain
There have been many questions regarding physics, specifically Grand Prix 4 physics.
I believe that Geoff and team did a fabulous job with the physics, making GP4 work as a simulator. I think that Brian Beckman has some interesting things to say that we might all learn from.

[phors.locost7.info]

[channel9.msdn.com]

Another interesting piece for the programers ( Expert-to-Expert-Rich-Hickey-and-Brian-Beckman )
Re: GP4 Physics
Date: February 21, 2010 09:28AM
Posted by: mortal
Good post, some interesting reading there. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 21, 2010 12:11PM
Posted by: Lo2k
While I downloaded Brian's bunch of files about 6 years ago, I just discovered this interview and that's a realy interesting video for physics oriented game enthusiasts.
But 3 years have pass since this video and I can't say I've seen so greatest car physics since then.

Date: February 21, 2010 07:02PM
Posted by: auscain
Yes I agree Lo2k. Obviously Geoff didn’t use the computation methods that Brian was talking about in the video. I guess Brian was just excited about opening up possibilities to do more physics without tying up the processor as much. If the new game makers are not going to spend the time & resources then the extra physics are not going to be there in the simulator like a patch of oil for example.

It’s in Bryan's technical writing that I think we can draw from. Those that haven’t put four wheels through a corner at great speed and actually feel the rubber sheer then they can’t really know how and when to react to compensate for the physics that are going on.
Date: February 24, 2010 02:57AM
Posted by: n00binio
mortal schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good post, some interesting reading there. :-)

+1

i already used the methods for computing he mentioned in the penultimate section and had huge cpu performance problems (no racing related problems though, simple things to try out said methods). depending on the needed accuracy doing it by hand sometimes seemed to be the faster method :P . so i guess the relatively limited power of pc's is the reason for the slow progress of physics in games. (it gets even worse in high end physics: simulating the behaviour of really awesome things (better than racecars) for a few seconds can take up to several days)

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy