Is GP4 online multiplayer now possible?

Date: January 24, 2010 04:31PM
Posted by: TomorrowNeverDies007
is it? (@)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2010 04:32PM by TomorrowNeverDies007.
Date: January 24, 2010 04:32PM
mistake reply.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2010 04:33PM by TomorrowNeverDies007.
Re: Is GP4 online multiplayer now possible?
Date: January 24, 2010 04:34PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Date: January 24, 2010 04:35PM
Then whats this? (*)

[www.grandprixgames.org]

Edit: I think I might know what that is. You race offline but post results online, yes?

What about this

[www.lanoninternet.com]

Isn't it possible to use LAN on Internet to use the games LAN THROUGH the internet?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2010 04:38PM by TomorrowNeverDies007.
Date: January 24, 2010 05:58PM
Posted by: Lo2k
This is an offline championship, as you guessed.

I don't know for lanoninternet as I never heard about it but a similar tool named Hamachi, even if successfully emulating a LAN over the net, only result in a laggy and almost unplayable game.

Date: January 24, 2010 07:11PM
Posted by: Shaddix
ironicly, the older GP4 gets, the more likely it will be to play it online
at one point the connections will be so fast that it will be possible to use Hamachi

but before that happens GP4 will propaly have died ;)

F1Champs.net - F1 Manager Game (WIP)
Date: January 27, 2010 03:30PM
Posted by: UKR_DreamcastUK
Well i stated this message on another post regarding the online side of GP4

Hello Good Afternoon,

Hope everyone had a good christmas , well myself and my brother have been waiting to play GP4 for such a long time together its untrue so we both now have two powerful PC's and a copy of the game each.

Having only played GP2 online we was looking forward to a more updated GP racer having not been able to play this one at high performance but now we are both set to go.

We are fully patched up to date so we are running the same version of the game on each pc (in two different locations)
the game states there is a multi player mode and there is a drop down menu which only has one option so unsure as why it is a drop down menu but anyway it states TCP/IP as my knowledge of playing old sega pc games online like Sega Rally 1&2 and Virtua Cop and Daytona USA all you will need for this is to host and for the other person to join and to their IP address in and connect simple?

Well no ... it doesn't let you add a IP address in to even join to?

I have been looking around on the forums here and they are all quite old stating that there is TCP/IP play but no one really tells you how to get it working, I looked on the download sections on here and there is a file called GPxPatch which we now both are trying to run it states host IP address : so we put in the IP address of the HOST (ie me) and then I created a session and still wasn't able to join as it didn't list anything basiclly we have tried this a number of times by him hosting and trying to join to his IP and the same for me and nothing happens just says no sessions found .

So if there is anyone out there that knows how to get it working it would make our christmas and new year so I can finally beat him at GP4 because I need to get him back for all the years of him beating me online on GP2 ...

thanks
UKR_DreamcastUK
UKRockers

------------------

But I will be looking into what has been said onto this post I really wanna play it online or lan'ed we have about 9 of my mates with the game now we could all lan up
Date: January 27, 2010 11:35PM
Posted by: mortal
LAN only. There were licensing issues with the FIA, therefore the the multiplayer via TCP/IP on the net was not completed. As we are not in possession of the source code, we cannot possibly enable the function to work correctly. I do believe I told you this in your other post. :-)
GP4 will run on a lan, as long as all comps are in the same location, and the cables are not too long. gpx_patch has multiplayer mode written into its code, on the off chance that the game would be fixed. However, you will see that there is a tab in gpx My IP.... On selection, note that the ip shown is a local ip. A local ip is used for a local Area Network, ie: LAN.
Disable the Windows firewall before creating the session, otherwise dxplaysvr.exe might block the session in the background. You could also connect the rigs to a router or a network hub, insert the local ip for each rig ie: 198.168.0.1 and 198.168.0.2 and enable a dedicated port. Look up port forwarding for information or see your router documentation.
I have created a LAN session through a patch cable, network plug to network plug, rig to rig. That is a different cable to a CAT5 cable that you have from your network plug to your router.
If you have wireless, forget it. Don't even think about it, it must be hard wired, preferably patch cabled. Ensure that both rigs are visible on the network. It is not easy, and in my opinion, not worth the trouble. If the two comps are not of similar power, one can lag and play catchup, therefore ruining the session.
As for Hamachi, you need a minimum 35MBS connection, one rig needs to be at the isp provider, sitting right on the backbone, and the other rig next door. Preferably no more than ten metres away. The realistic answer is ABSOLUTELY UNPLAYABLE.
So, if you are able to get the two, or more rigs withing a few metres of each other, patch our use a 4 port router, or a dedicated network hub that could have more than 4 ports, like an office hub for example, and if you create successfully a LAN network session in GP4, you can only race. I recall saying before that qualifying must be done individually, then transfer the qualy grid results to the Grid Tool CustomGridTool and insert the same data on to each participating rig. Then run the race with your modified grid.
I hope that this puts the issue to bed for you. :-)

[I will pin this to the FAQ as the info may be useful to other users.]

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 11:36PM by mortal.
Date: March 25, 2010 10:06PM
Posted by: pmd
Hi,

Sorry my english, is not good. I sent a PM to "mortal", but i'm not sure if it went out. So, better writte here to everyone.

I tried to modify the grid of a LAN race with the Custom Grid Tool, as "mortal" tell in his commentary. But i had a problem. The grid respect perfectly my .txt file, generated by the Custom Grid Tool, but the players in the LAN race, me and my friend, still starting in 1st and 2nd position. I put Schumacher in 18nd position at the .txt file, and in the LAN race he started at 18nd position. As I said, the game respect all the positions of the file, but not the player's. ¿How can I make that the players start at the last position in a LAN race?

I hope you understand my message :LOL:

From Argentina,
Paulo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 11:00PM by pmd.
Date: March 26, 2010 12:05AM
Posted by: n00binio
you can't, in lan mode player cars can only be 1st or 2nd in the grid

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: March 26, 2010 03:01AM
Posted by: BenF1
Got a new hard drive and i've managed to re-install GP4! :)

As for this, I remember me and WillB tested this a while back using Hamachi. I mean we got it going, but as Lo2k said, it was terribly laggy and I think that online play is a long way off. Maybe on a 100mb/s connection it might be OK...

[www.myspace.com]
Date: January 31, 2012 01:08PM
Posted by: Kimi-The-Champ
Old topic but i have a question:
it is possible to compress the data files which are translate over the internet?
i think on a little tool. it compress the data files on 1 pc and decompress it on the other pc.
i'm not a programmer, only an administrator
Date: January 31, 2012 03:28PM
Posted by: Robert
Even if it were, the time that would take would almost certainly make it impossible to play due to lag - and I'm not convinced it would be possible anyway without modifying the game's code.

Batracer - the online racing manager game - join here :) [batracer.com]
Date: February 01, 2012 06:19PM
Posted by: Pedersen
many many years ago, i played online against a friend in GP3 using GPxPatch. But it was extremly bad lag. Had to disable all graphics hehe. But it works, but not good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy