Tutorial : Creating your own cars.wad by SkaningeN

Posted by SkaaningeN 
Tutorial : Creating your own cars.wad by SkaningeN
Date: January 18, 2010 07:45PM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
Hi guys!

I've decided to create a tutorial to make your own cars.wad for GP4. This should not be long, and it should not be hard.

Programs needed.

GP4Master v1.2 by Sven Mitlehner
TeamEditor v3.5
GP4 Builder (I still have 1.160, but get the latest version)
GP4 Tweaker v1.44 (If necessary, for like 2008 season)
GPxPatch v3.92

Alright, to start, download a fresh and original cars.wad from [www.gp4db.com]

Open GP4Master and go to Editors and choose workshops, wad workshop. Press "load WAD-File" and choose the cars.wad you just downloaded.
Then press "Extract all files" at the bottom of the window and choose a location to put it. If you wan't to have many different cars.wads
name the map like 2009 if that's the season you decide it to be.

Now open the map, and it will look like this :

Go into the "cars" foler and it will look like this :

first off all, there is texures for all cars. You can delete them, as you won't be using them for the 2009 season. Don't delete all texures, only them that are accosiated with the cars.
Now, download the cars for each team you wan't to use. You can see that there are files called for example car_arrows_car1_lod_0 etc. These are the shapes of the cars in the .wad right now and are in order of the 2001 season.
If we start with 2009's first team, wich was McLaren (Ferrari accually had first slot, but let's take it in numbers) the McLaren shape should be renamed from example car_mclaren_car1_lod_0 to car_ferrari_car1_lod_0. The same for car2.
Copy the mclaren files into the cars folder and replace the old one's. Now copy the textures into the same folder. Now, continue until you have the grid you want.

Remember here, I've fixed so I don't need all lods, but don't bother with that right now

This method is going to be used if you later want to replace cars for the same season. If you are not sure wich textures that goes with each car, use GP4Builder to find out.
Start GP4Builder. Choose a shape file from your cars folder (ex car_arrows_car1_lod_0). In the program, choose Tools and then rename texures and now you can see wich textures to delete.
If you wan't to now why you are deleting textures, it's simply because if you don't delete them, they are only going to take unecessary space in you .wad and harddrive.

Now, let's install helmets and tyres. The tyresshapes and helmetshapes exist in the same folder as the carshapes.

Just replace them. Now, they also need textures. All helmets are the one's called Driver1_1 etc. Driver1_1 and Driver1_2 are of course the driver who have car number one. In this case, Hamilton. (Make sure you put his McLaren in the ferrari slot,
as I instructed above) Maybe you have to rename them, but if you download Daimon's helmetsets, you don't need to.
So Drivers 1-2 are Ferrari, Drivers 3-4 are McLaren and so forth. Think 2001 season as the .wads are build like that.

As for the tyretextures, go to the tyres folder :

In there are all the textures the tyres need. Replace the original one's with the one's you wan't to use.

Now, if all helmets, cars and tyres are in place, start GP4Master again. Editors, Workshops and wad workshop. Now choose "Creat WAD for directory. Copy this adress to the folder:

and paste it in to GP4Master. Press OK and a new window popps up. Now, just write cars.wad in that window and press ok. The program will load for a bit and then you have a cars.wad in the same folder as GP4Master.

Now copy the cars.wad into your Grand Prix 4 folder and replace the old one.

Next step are fixing how things will look ingame. Start TeamEditor and choose to you liking.

And finally, if you have not GPxPatch installed, install it. Start it and choose wich performance and physics file you want and start the game.

This will be easier and easier every time you do it. It took me a month and then it became automatic.

That should be it, you can just ask if problems come up. I use Vista, so all these program should work with it.

Also remember, this is my method, I don't now if other GP4 players do it this way.

Good Luck! :)

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Simple in some part, a bit harder in others, but always necesary...

Good tutorial friend... (Y)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

GP4 Projects: - Button, Hamilton, Di Resta, Kovalainen and Ricciardo F1 2012 Helmets Released -
My GP4 Workthread
Re: Tutorial : Creating your own cars.wad by SkaningeN
Date: January 18, 2010 11:44PM
Posted by: mortal
Pinned to the FAQ. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: January 18, 2010 11:55PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pinned to the FAQ. :-)

Im wondering why it got pinned???

Have a look here: [www.grandprixgames.org]

If you read carefully you will see their is a perfect instruction how to create a cars.wad
and much more things to update and understand.

Oh well...
Date: January 19, 2010 12:05AM
Posted by: mortal
If you got off your high horse occasionally Mr. Caranti you would have noticed long ago that your tutorial was also pinned to the FAQ.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Great, thx mortal :)

Date: January 19, 2010 12:21AM
mortal Wrote:
> If you got off your high horse occasionally Mr.
> Caranti you would have noticed long ago that your
> tutorial was also pinned to the FAQ.

If you read carefully Mr Stoddart and jump down from your super high horse
you will notice that i was refering to the content of my tutorial includes what
Skaningen put and it also shows a lot more things...
I guess its a matter of interpretations.
Nice Eric mate, it';s good for new members. although Mal, I'm not sure all new members take a look at the FAQ

Jorge both are nice, why bother arguing

Both serve there own purpose for the site

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Jorge, I did not make this tutorial because I wan't to compete. I made it because, when I said in a thread that a guy wanted someone to send a cars.wad to him, and I said make it by yourself, I got jumped on right away.

I thought that I'll make this to help, not to replace what you have written before. Im just giving ppl a chance to know how I do to update my GP4, and use my method if they wan't to. And of course, stopping posts about "plz send me 2009 cars.wad"

Nothing more, nothing less, okay? Now, let it go!

oh, and one more thing. Jorge, you have done alot for the community already, tracks, steeringwheels, mods, etc. And what have I done? Trackcams and some textures for 2002 season! Pfft! Let me have this one to give back to the community!

Thank you Dan, glad to see you're still posting around here :)

Date: January 19, 2010 02:28AM
SkaaningeN Wrote:
> Jorge, I did not make this tutorial because I
> wan't to compete. I made it because, when I said
> in a thread that a guy wanted someone to send a
> cars.wad to him, and I said make it by yourself, I
> got jumped on right away.

No you didnt get jumped. I offer help to that user your reffering.
In no way it was intented to make you look bad anything wrong.
And by the way and to be more honest it wasnt even my idea in the
first place to help this user. A friend in msn suggested it
I was happy making Istanbul 2009 track and friend shows up.

SkaaningeN Wrote:
> oh, and one more thing. Jorge, you have done alot
> for the community already, tracks, steeringwheels,
> mods, etc. And what have I done? Trackcams and
> some textures for 2002 season! Pfft! Let me have
> this one to give back to the community!

Ok.
I only have one question about this tutorial, where would I add the steering wheel that I want to use?
Most addons have a readme file-the info should be in there.

Glenn(Cdn)
There is a readme but it just says update cars.wad and not whereabouts to put the stwheel.tex file
If it's an external steering wheel it just goes into the cars wad

I think the file is named stwheel

I know that but GP4 never works properly and I have to delete the wadcache which means it goes back to the default steering wheel
Are you running GP4 using CSM or just normally

Using CSM
Ah ok then

What mod is it that your trying to add the steering wheel too

gpgames.eu 2008 mod
Ok mate in your GP4 Directory you need to look in the folder named GPSAVES

This folder contains all of your mods

Now I don't have the GPGames Mod so can't tell you the exact file locations but there should be a folder named GPGames 2008 or something like that in there

In the mod folder there will be another 2 folders, data and settings

Go into Data and then go into the Cockpits folder

There will now be 2 more folders in there, Cockpit and Cars

Look into the folder named Cars and you should see the file stwheel.tex

Replace that with the steering wheel of your choice, and your done

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy