The Wheels and Pedals Help, Setup and Tutorial thread

Posted by Ho3n3r 
Hi there all.

While I know there have been a few posts regarding this, I believe no thread so far found by me has been efficient or to-the-point enough in regards to setting up/tweaking with steering wheels and pedals.

I am posting this because a dedicated thread on this is needed, and I am very new to steering wheels and pedal racing.

So my first question would be: has anyone found an efficient method to get used to the pedals and their sensitivity under braking? Except telling me to drive as much as I can of course. I need a specific way...

Because I have found that when braking I either lock up the brakes or just go off in a too-quick oversteery line. And this is frustrating me. But the times that I actually nail a braking sequence correctly - too few and far between in my opinion - it makes me come back for more...

So if any, which methods have you used to practise this? Because as you all know, gaming pedals don't feel near to what car pedals feel (too little resistance).

Plus, when I am driving with auto-braking on, I am staying on the track properly, so you can't tell me that it's my steering control - I just need to get a way to find my way with the pedals.

And also, setups for wheels and pedals in GP4 - i.e:
-Low Sensitivity Zone
-Reduce Sensitivity with Speed
-Steering Help Percentage

And if anyone could say why they have chosen their settings and describe their driving style, I would much appreciate it, because I would really love to enjoy this game as much as possible, because this going off every 3 corners is really starting to piss me off - hence I am currently playing with keyboard.

Please guys - any help would be appreciated, and I have a feeling I'm not alone regarding this...
;) "How to set your controller ? Look at here !!" => [www.racesimulations.com]

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2009 02:35PM by phantaman.
Well what wheel have you got?
Oh yeah sorry I forgot to mention what wheel I have...

I have a Flashfire V7.0 USB wheel, if that helps. Can't afford anything more expensive at the moment...

And thanks phantaman - I will look into that thread right away!

Geez you guys are quick...
That could well be part of your problem. I've never heard of it before, but I just had a quick look at it and it doesn't look great. I had two cheap steering wheels before and the pedals were hopeless. Actually I'm pretty sure one of them wasn't analog, it was like pressing a button rather than a pedal... If you pay more then you get more and the pedals will actually have resistance more like real car pedals. If you don't have the cash to shell out on a really good one (and they can be very expensive), a good joystick is far better than a bad steering wheel.
The Lopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That could well be part of your problem. I've
> never heard of it before, but I just had a quick
> look at it and it doesn't look great. I had two
> cheap steering wheels before and the pedals were
> hopeless. Actually I'm pretty sure one of them
> wasn't analog, it was like pressing a button
> rather than a pedal... If you pay more then you
> get more and the pedals will actually have
> resistance more like real car pedals. If you don't
> have the cash to shell out on a really good one
> (and they can be very expensive), a good joystick
> is far better than a bad steering wheel.

Well it's much better than a joystick - I gave mine away because I got the w.a.p.

And it's not that bad - I think I need more pedal practise than a new set. I know it's not like a button because I can set it as digital but I don't - obviously I set it as analog. And I know SOMETIMES I can get a corner perfect without locking a brake or anything.

And the wheel is actually very comfortable.

BUT, and it's a BIG but: What is that IRZ axis exactly for the braking setup in the thread phantaman has suggested? Might that actually help me under braking?

Also, on those screens, the X axis - acceleration is at 507 while it isn't even at halfway yet - which would suggest that it can go to about a range of 1100, while the braking Y-axis is at at 373, which will suggest a range of about 800.

Now, on both of those, my wheel's ranges are 0 to 255, all the way to the right/full acceleration :| now I would guess that my wheel's accuracy - and pedals, for that matter - isn't nearly as good as the other wheels like Momo and Logitech, because the range is only 1/4 of those wheels.

Any thoughts on the ranges and IRZ axis?
And shame man! With pedals like those cheap ones it would have probably been better to use keyboard :P

I just really wish I had more money though for a proper wheel!!! And maybe I must try to put stiffer springs in. That'll be a lot more like a car... Maybe I must look into that tonight... Toolkit here I come.
Well I am getting it more and more right at the moment - last night I just said to myself I will do 10 laps on each track - got to Montreal so now I had about 2 hours' driving with that, very good practise.

Thanks for the tips.
Can not get the Logitech G27 set up right with GP4.
Tried a ton of settings and the car understeers into fast corners and is nervous if you use the slightest of movement.

Any other sim I'm fine.

Getting really frustrated.

Been trying things for hours.
This thing should be renewed :P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy