Acceleration

Posted by RHill 
Acceleration
Date: December 24, 2015 08:39PM
Posted by: RHill
Guys I really need your help.

No matter what I try I always exit slow corners better than the ai, meaning they don't stay close enough on the straights to attempt an overtake.

No one else seems to have this problem, so what do you guys do to make sure the ai are competitive in the main overtaking zones /straights

It's not that I can't overtake it's that the ai don't.

Any help is appreciated.

Things I have tried to limit my traction out of slow speed corners

Ruining my gears - no effect
Increasing the ai power - no effect
Decreasing my power - no effect
Traction control - no effect

Do I need to use the default master grip or something? Currently I use power and grip from the perf file (gpxpatch setting) but then I have to raise the master grip to be competitive.

Can I just lower the ai grip to level things up?

It's so frustrating and prevents it being a perfect game. I need to loose .4 or so out of slow corners but still be competitive.
Re: Acceleration
Date: December 26, 2015 10:36AM
Just bumping this one in case anyone can help

Can anyone let me know their g27 settings in game in case in getting any advantage
Date: January 04, 2016 10:49AM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
Hey RHill,

sorry for late answer. Christmas delayed forum's reaction I think. Yes, I agree: This issue prevents GP4 from being a perfect game. The way you describe the situation, it sounds like a typical problem everyone has.

I think the problem is a bad ccline in the track. Almost all original GP4-tracks have a bad ccline. The best example for the problem maybe is ccCar's acceleration out of original Silverstone's Luffield-Corner. Sadly ccCars do accelerate to late out of the corner to keep close to the player on the straight.

Can this problem be solved?
YES!

How?
You'll need to use tracks with a good ccline or you'll have to improve cclines of the original tracks. Therefore open the dat-file of a track with GP4Builder and doubleclick ccline. Now choose the section you would like to edit. On the exit of slow corner you have to check the "Curve 2"-feature. While editing the new ccline make sure that the radius-value of the 2nd curve is higher than the radius of the 1st curve, for example:
1st curve: 10000
2nd curve: 12000
or
1st curve: -5000
2nd curve: -8000
This lets ccCars accelerate much earlier.

Regarding the original Silverstone-track I made an updated ccline this way. Here it is:
ccline Silverstone

Let me know how you like it! Cheers.
Date: January 04, 2016 11:16AM
Posted by: Atticus.
If it's a CC-line issue (to be honest, I doubt it is), you can test my CC-line updates for the original tracks as well (links in my sig) - it's a useful test as with these files you are able to change just this one thing, leaving everything else vanilla.

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
Date: January 04, 2016 11:41AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I do seem to have the issue with cc lines that use curve 2 figures higher than curve 1 on exits though so I don't think it's this.

I just can't understand why the ai are a fraction later on the power than me. It makes about .4 difference on exit of slow corners. Any ideas?
Date: January 17, 2016 06:09AM
Posted by: TomMK
Try this version of the Valencia Ricardo Tormo track and see if you find the same problem?

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: January 17, 2016 09:10AM
What are you thinking Tom? I'll give it a go today and let you know.

It just seems to be a trait of the game across all mods...if only the ai would stay closer on exit!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2016 09:11AM by RHill.
Date: January 18, 2016 03:44PM
TomMK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try this version of the Valencia Ricardo Tormo
> track and see if you find the same problem?

Tom... the problem at this track is gone! I wish all corners onto the main straight were like this, to aid overtaking and battles.

What's different with this track (lovely layout too!)?!?
Date: January 18, 2016 10:01PM
It's the CC-line mainly, plus decent Magic Data.

Which track shall we try next? :)

Date: January 18, 2016 11:31PM
What is it about the Magic data and cc line? Did you make the changes?

If you did, maybe we could make our way through the 2015 calendar?
Date: January 18, 2016 11:58PM
Yeh I did a new CC line and applied my own Magic Data file. It's more about the CC line though.

Can you name 1 more track where you have this problem the most and I'll take a look, just to make sure we're on the right path?

Date: January 19, 2016 09:29AM
Final two corners at sepang! 2012 version.

What are you tweaking in the cc line? I really hope your on the right path because it will be a perfect game then! Let me know ASAP because I can test...exciting!
Date: January 20, 2016 09:11AM
Tom, the suspense is killing me! What did you change in the cc line?

I'm all up for testing the sepang track if you try changes there
Date: January 20, 2016 09:34AM
Ah good, Sepang is a good choice because I don't have a version of that currently on GP4 Central.

I've uploaded a version, check out the homepage and let me know how you get on?

Date: January 20, 2016 09:38AM
So the version you uploaded to gp4 central has a new cc line right?
Date: January 20, 2016 11:33PM
Tom you've done it again! The final two corners at Sepang are loads better and the ai stay closer for an overtake.

Can you do other tracks? Also can you explain what you try to achieve with the new cc line so I can have a go?

Bahrain 2014 is another track that needs attention.
Date: January 21, 2016 03:10AM
Good to hear you're having a better experience now.

Basically I'm just changing the cc-line to give a better exit. If the first part of the turn (up to the apex) is tighter, you can have a faster exit. That just needs to be exaggerated with some corners (mainly ones which lead onto a long straight).

I'm happy to keep doing more but they are time-consuming and I have some other priorities for GP4 Central this year (I want to finally get the 1993 mod done, plus I need to update the other mods with a few things). So it would be good to make a project of this, because it will benefit everyone, but I can't promise too much!

Date: January 21, 2016 09:57AM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
Lol RHill!

Why the @#$%& did I made myself that much work to present the same solution to you like TomMK did and you refused it to be correct! Get Lost!
Date: January 21, 2016 10:14AM
Hey klausfeldmann

I do think you came up with the solution and I agreed the cc line sounded like it should work, but for some reason I didn't see a difference. You should take the credit for getting us on the right path, but what is the difference between your cc line and toms?

The cc line is the issue (as you pointed out) but whatever Tom changed seems to make the ai behave. Look, I appreciate your input and it did make me try the cc line because two of you then said the same thing.

Can we just all work together to find out what it is the cc line needs to achieve for the best result? The cc line is the issue, but what specifically worked?
Date: January 22, 2016 03:43PM
TomMK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good to hear you're having a better experience
> now.
>
> Basically I'm just changing the cc-line to give a
> better exit. If the first part of the turn (up to
> the apex) is tighter, you can have a faster exit.
> That just needs to be exaggerated with some
> corners (mainly ones which lead onto a long
> straight).
>
> I'm happy to keep doing more but they are
> time-consuming and I have some other priorities
> for GP4 Central this year (I want to finally get
> the 1993 mod done, plus I need to update the other
> mods with a few things). So it would be good to
> make a project of this, because it will benefit
> everyone, but I can't promise too much!

So the entry needs to actually be tighter? To open the exit? Any tips? I know how to edit cc lines so will do these too if you can describe what I'm am trying to produce
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy