Windows 8 or Windows 10?

Posted by SkaaningeN 
Windows 8 or Windows 10?
Date: August 06, 2015 12:13PM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
So, I just got a new PC that comes with Windows 8. I can also upgrade to Windows 10
for free if I want to. What I heard from the store is that Windows 10 is better for games, even older games.
So would GP4 work better under Windows 10? What do you guys think?

Damn, I want GP4 to work and run like it's supposed to now, after 3 years or bad graphics and lag!

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Re: Windows 8 or Windows 10?
Date: August 06, 2015 12:48PM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
I've had no trouble with it on Windows 8.1 using the version from GP4 Central; Decompress and it played fine straight away.

I helped a mate get it running on his Win 8.1 machine last week, and all we had to do for him was the usual 'Compatibility Mode' to 'Windows XP SP3'; We're not sure why we had to do it for him, but not for me.

I've not done the Windows 10 upgrade yet - apparently you can't turn off automatic updates, and that would eat my Internet each month - but, from what I've heard, it is even better than Windows 8/8.1 for playing old games.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Date: August 06, 2015 02:06PM
Posted by: JohnMaverick
I've made the jump from Win7 to Win10 since what I saw on my wife's and other computers, Win 8.1 was still quite a plague. Usability-wise, Win10 is a huge improvement and also performance-wise, I'd say Win10 is better than Win 8.1. But AUS_Doug's argument isn't wrong. With Win10, you'll be even more dependant on Microsoft than you are with Win8. But let's face it: Win10 is the future and not using the cost-free upgrade during the first year would be sort of idiotic. So I suggest to do the upgrade.
Plus: There's an easy function in Win10 that allows you to roll back to Win 8.1 if you're not happy with Win10 for 30 days after the upgrade. So, do the upgrade, see if you can get GP4 running smoothly (no problem for most people who didn't have problems with Win7 or Win8), see if Win10 is to your liking, and if not, you just roll back. Easy peasy.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)
Date: August 07, 2015 03:56PM
Posted by: rracunis
I don't want to seem so negative but I'm frustraded with the GP4 working on the windows 10 . In fact , windows 10 seems to be a huge improvement in terms of performance , layout , and so on .
I also bought a new laptop a week ago which came with windows 8 and after have struggled a lot with the system , I was sucessful and the game worked despite of some problems with images and resolutions . But I didn't have problems with the GP4 exe and now I have with windows 10 .
Many guys have managed very well the windows 8 and GP4 and many of them have had sucess with the windows 10 as well . However , I have seen different solutions to fix the problems showed by the windows 10 and I guess we could have something like a tutorial with the main steps to be made in order to solve the majority of the problems .
This is just a suggestion from someone a bit fed up and frustraded with the impossibility to play the game in my new laptop , most probably because of my incapacity in solving the problems caused by a new system completely new for all of us
Date: August 09, 2015 07:48AM
Posted by: phantaman
Got a video controller (ATI Radeon HD 7870) for some tests under windows 10. Then when it is delivered, I'll post some results here and in the gp4forever forum (Y)

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
Date: August 09, 2015 10:21AM
Posted by: Lo2k
@Phantaman : Sadly ATI drivers do not give the best results under Windows 10 right now...

Date: August 09, 2015 04:06PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Exactly Lo2k, the best combination is to have an Intel Procesor + Nvidea video card wich in
my case is a Asus Geforce 770 and works great under windows 10.

GP4 works like a charm including with my Logitech G27 wheel.
I also tried others games like Battlfield 4 and F1 2014 and works great.

Before i changed from windows i was looking into performance wise and i already had
everything i needed. I guess i bought well my computer parts. (Y)
Date: August 09, 2015 04:30PM
Posted by: miki2000milos
JohnMaverick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've made the jump from Win7 to Win10 since what I
> saw on my wife's and other computers, Win 8.1 was
> still quite a plague. Usability-wise, Win10 is a
> huge improvement and also performance-wise, I'd
> say Win10 is better than Win 8.1. But AUS_Doug's
> argument isn't wrong. With Win10, you'll be even
> more dependant on Microsoft than you are with
> Win8. But let's face it: Win10 is the future and
> not using the cost-free upgrade during the first
> year would be sort of idiotic. So I suggest to do
> the upgrade.

I'm one of those who didn't do the free upgrade. Well, as I'm not on my home PC but I am on holiday..

also it amazes me they are giving away windows 10 free. Why would they do that? They get no revenue at all from it.. There must be something behind this.. from a buisness point of view, it just doesn't seem right.
I am slightly suspicious.

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 04:32PM by miki2000milos.
Date: August 09, 2015 06:14PM
Posted by: phantaman
Lo2k Wrote:
> @Phantaman : Sadly ATI drivers do not give the
> best results under Windows 10 right now...

unaware of this information. thanks for the warning (Y)

I believe that the ATI (AMD) will not let your customers become unassisted. certainly, it is something momentary (temporary) lack of optimized drivers for Windows 10.
was more or less what happened at the time of the launch of windows vista. the asus (NVIDIA) EN8600GT installed on my PC worked with a BETA driver not (WHQL) certified.

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
Date: August 10, 2015 12:41PM
miki2000milos schrieb:
> JohnMaverick Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've made the jump from Win7 to Win10 since what
> I
> > saw on my wife's and other computers, Win 8.1
> was
> > still quite a plague. Usability-wise, Win10 is
> a
> > huge improvement and also performance-wise, I'd
> > say Win10 is better than Win 8.1. But
> AUS_Doug's
> > argument isn't wrong. With Win10, you'll be
> even
> > more dependant on Microsoft than you are with
> > Win8. But let's face it: Win10 is the future
> and
> > not using the cost-free upgrade during the
> first
> > year would be sort of idiotic. So I suggest to
> do
> > the upgrade.
>
> I'm one of those who didn't do the free upgrade.
> Well, as I'm not on my home PC but I am on
> holiday..
>
> also it amazes me they are giving away windows 10
> free. Why would they do that? They get no revenue
> at all from it.. There must be something behind
> this.. from a buisness point of view, it just
> doesn't seem right.
> I am slightly suspicious.

I can tell you what is behind it. They were losing touch with their customer base. MAC OS started an offensive to place their products for very little costs in many schools to make students comfortable with their products. And once they are Apple fans, they'll most likely stay it for a very long time, just as it was with Microsoft until around 10-15 years ago.
Microsoft had to do something against this and their main priority is to get their product back into as many households and schools as possible. And, most importantly, on their phones! Microsoft overslept the Smartphone evolution and now they're way too far behind. They need arguments to get people using all of their products again. Cause Microsoft isn't doing much money with selling their OS anymore. Those times are over. Of course they will with the pre-installatations of Microsoft on new computers, but their main focus is on very different areas. So, it makes sense to give it away for free now, remember, only to those that already used one of the newest Win versions (7, 8 or 8.1). Of course there are concerns about the inability of the user to shut down auto updates, for example, but updates are an essential core of an OS to keep it fast and safe.
Those who are suspicious should maybe wait until October, since Microsoft has announced a big update for the mid or end of October. But Win 10 is far better than Win 8 (and even 8.1) and Win7 is a dying dinosaur. Sooner or later, people won't get around using Win 10 (unless they decide for MAC OS, Ubuntu, etc. --> have fun trying to get GP4 running in the latter ;) )). So the upgrade within the first year is the only logical conclusion and a good deal for both the user and Microsoft.

Date: August 10, 2015 03:16PM
Posted by: miki2000milos
ahh okay. Well, I will most likely upgrade when I return home anyway. (I have Windows 7 Pro)
I am slightly annoyed for the auto-updates, I always kept them off as it's annoying having to wait for them to install when you shut down your PC.. plus, I got some BSoD's after updating. Latest one being infact just yesterday on the laptop I use here on holiday.
Plus I think Wondows 10 can trace all the things you do on your computer, which is sort of bad towards privacy (but can be disabled by a few steps)

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?
Date: August 10, 2015 04:20PM
Every OS can trace and track you down. You can make things a little better with some settings, as you say, but this is an overall tendency with every current OS. Using a computer and the Internet means leaving traces. Those who're not comfortable with this fact shouldn't use a computer at all ;-)

The auto-updates are important, though. They keep patching security holes and shutting them down completely is just as keeping your garage door open with your car doors open as well. I agree that I've also had one case where an update didn't do good, but there's an easy workaround for this. Just make regular security backups and if an update really ruins something, just restore the computer to the latest update. And as for the waiting times, you can set up your computer for individual install times, also in Win10. This way you can decide when the update is done.

Date: August 11, 2015 09:58PM
right, back on topic!

I've tested GP4 on Windows 10 now, and so far it has only worked in windowed mode. Not a big problem but I will try
and find out how to get it to work in full screen. PO is much better, Im still tweaking the graphics. I just went back from
ATI to Nvidia again. I have not tried GP4 for longer than a lap so far so I will update you later.

Just a note, I just copied the game from my old PC to my new one and tried it out from and USB hard drive.
I have not installed it or something like that. I will continue testing and see what I can come up with.

Date: August 15, 2015 11:04AM
Posted by: javifast
I have the same problem with windows 10. I can play in windowed mode,...but I have black screen with full screen mode (the music still sounds in the background).
Date: August 15, 2015 03:54PM
I have found a solution (sort of) for running GP4 in full screen.

Still run GP4 in windowed mode
Before starting the game, make sure you have task manager running in the background.
in task manager, right click on GP4.exe (GP4 32bit) and press "Expand"
Now a second icon comes up just below called "Grand Prix 4". Right click on that and press "Maximize"
Now the game will run in fullscreen, except for the top of the screen

Date: August 18, 2015 09:07AM
Did you try that in a CSM MOD or no CSM MOD ?
Unfortunately didn't work here with my CSM MOD , the game didn't run in fullscreen !
Date: August 18, 2015 10:00PM
I don't use CSM, so only starting the game with GPxPatch

Date: August 21, 2015 11:14PM
I just checked my f1graphics.cfg file and it is set to windows mod but hower when i play it
fully occupies the full screen in single LCD and in 2 LCD.

1 ; [DEBUG] Run in a window

Like i said above i have an intel processor and nvidia graphics graphics card. (Y)
Date: August 23, 2015 10:58AM
Jorge , does GP4 find your nvidia graphics graphics card ?
Date: August 23, 2015 01:01PM
rracunis Wrote:
> Jorge , does GP4 find your nvidia graphics
> graphics card ?

Yes, it read its.
So how do i know this?
Answer: I checked a crash log file(gpxload.txt) and in one of the lines it said the name of my video card.

Debug event: UNLOAD_DLL_DEBUG_EVENT
>> nvd3dum.dll>>
>> NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770>>

(Y)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy