Help required

Posted by SPOKES 
Help required
Date: September 08, 2016 07:45PM
Posted by: SPOKES
Hi Guy's,

Some of you may or may not remember me from some years ago, well I back to play GP4 again. I've installed the game from CD and changed compatiblity mode to win98 & 95 without success, it keeps asking me to install DirectX 8.1, which I clicked the link from CD but got no response? Puzzling to me as it used to do this without a problem.

I seem to remember there was a way to check path history on the PC, anyone could advise me, I'll be grateful.
Re: Help required
Date: September 08, 2016 08:51PM
Posted by: XenonS
You click NO of course if it want to install this old version of DirectX. To know which version of it you have, go in the command line and type dxdiag. The 8 version was new n 2002 when the game came out, so nothing strange.

XS
-----------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 08:53PM by XenonS.
Date: September 09, 2016 06:40PM
Thanks for the reply xenon, however the game will not load without it!
Date: September 09, 2016 07:10PM
You cannot play the game straight after installing it on Win 7 or higher, you have to do this dance (from my notes):

-----------
1. Make a FULL install of the game. Do not install in \Program Files (x86), e.g. install in a folder C:\Games...
2. Install the Patch 9.6.
3. Replace GP4.exe with the Decrypted GP4.exe 1.02.
4. Install the latest GpxPatch.
5. Set both GPxPatch.exe and GP4.exe in Windows Compatibility Mode for XP SP2 and set 'Run as Admnin'.
6. Start GP4.exe with GPxPatch.
7. The game asks to calibrate grafics and sound. Accept. After the process go in the Options > Advanced Grafics.
8. Set resolution to the highest compatible with your system and set everything to Max value, don't change Bump.

Run 'Test' and check if the FPS bar is at maximum (60 FPS) after the test, if no, then repeat Test. Once the the FPS bar is at max, then set it manually to 30 FPS. Click OK to apply the changes and quit grafic options. Quit GP4 by accepting 'save the changes'.

Open the file f1graphics.cfg in the main GP4 folder and change the following settings:

1 ; f1graphics.cfg controls all settings (default 0) note:- make this 1
1920 ; [RELEASE] Game 3D Horizontal Resolution
1080 ; [RELEASE] Game 3D Vertical Resolution

You can now play the game with a resolution of 1920x1080 with best grafics at 30 FPS.
After these 10 steps you are ready to simply play the standard game by starting the GP4.exe with no extra mods or changes, or you start it within GPxPatch which will apply all changes and improvements made by GPxPatch.
---------------

If you want to skip all this, try to install in VMWare and Windows XP...

XenonS
Date: September 09, 2016 07:31PM
I got it working, but carbon and cars are white, so I did some digging in my inbox from 6 years ago and found the e-mail I got from mortal. So I'll give it a go. Thanks again xenon, it'll come useful if it fails!
Date: September 09, 2016 08:09PM
To avoid white cars or artefacts or ghosts or else you must have the same in-game grafic settings than your mod choices for Hi resolution, if you chose Hi in your mod then you must set Hi in your advanced grafic settings in the game. I don't know why they don't add this to the FAQ...

XenonS
Date: September 09, 2016 09:15PM
I've ran the regedit and cleaned all previous infogrames paths, reinstalled the game, I'll let you know tomorrow how successful I am.
Date: September 10, 2016 12:24AM
Posted by: SDI
You should be able to skip step 5 with the latest GPxPatch.

René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download my GPx tools here.
Date: September 19, 2016 06:40PM
Can anyone help me in this report please?
tarting log
GPxPatch version: 3.93
GPx version detected: encrypted GP4 v1.02
Verbosity level is 2
OS version info: Windows XP Service Pack 2 build 2600
Total physical memory: 1023 MB (free: 1023 MB)
Executing gp4.exe
Waiting for child process 'gp4.exe' to start...
Waiting for process decryption...
*** error reading process memory: (299) Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed.

Terminating process...
*** error terminating process: (5) Access is denied.
Date: September 19, 2016 08:46PM
Well after fiddling about tonight I've managed to get the game working to geoff's standard. Can anyone know why Avast security detect's a threat from ZAZTools? Is it false possitive or a real threat?
Date: September 19, 2016 09:16PM
Posted by: thestig88
false positive
Date: September 19, 2016 10:06PM
SPOKES,
I urge you to run the game with only a minimum profile of your security suite (Avast), set it to only scan executable files (.exe, .com, .bat) and disable the Real-Time File Check during your game session (or similar program function where all your files are scanned real-time), GP4 requires a lot of CPU work, it won't run that much through your grafics card, if there is an anti-virus running aside then you are heading for trouble. If you play offline, then I would shut Avast down completely before playing.

XenonS

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2016 10:09PM by XenonS.
Date: September 22, 2016 08:06PM
I've had problems in the past with my PC, so I don't want to go through it again with another virsus. The threat comes up as:- Threat: Win32:Malware-gen and this is a executable file! If I could ask the older forum members, as some may remember me, this is from ZAZ tools, I'm wanting to upgrade the wad's.
Date: September 22, 2016 08:18PM
Posted by: gap177
@spokes, pretty sure it is a false positive. This was discussed on this forum a while ago.

Glenn (Cdn)
Date: September 22, 2016 08:25PM
Thx Glenn, good to hear from you again! It's just that I'm very worried that unzipping the folder my PC would start freezing again like last time and it took me 9 painstaking months rebuilding it! So you can see why.
Date: September 26, 2016 12:03PM
Thank goodness for back disc's! Managed to find a 'clean' cars wad, I saved.

I'm on the look out for good circuits which use 'nurburgring, hungaroring, a1, Indianapolis' wad slots, without the need of wad updating. Can anyone recommend some please?
Date: September 26, 2016 06:35PM
If you don't want any wad updating, then you will have to play a non-CSM mod that starts directly with GPxPatch or GP4.exe.
A method for CSM mods to load faster is only to load the track that you intend to play, but then you cannot switch to another track in-game.
CSM will however not touch your original cars.wad and anims.wad, they will be restored when quitting your game session.
Because you have gone through a lot of preparation, I advice you to backup these files:

- original cars.wad
- original anims.wad
- your f1gstate.sav and f1gstate.bak (here the names, your options and lap records are saved); losing or corrupting this file is not terrible, it will be re-written, but you then have to redo all the options...
- Have a GP4.exe decrypted 1.02 ready to re-copy if CSM doesn't start anymore.

XenonS
Date: September 26, 2016 06:37PM
Posted by: gap177
@SPOKES, just use gpxpatch to install your tracks. Any track can be used in any track slot. Read the gpxtrack documentation, it is very useful.

Glenn (Cdn)
Date: October 17, 2016 10:55PM
Posted by: mblake
HI guys new here

recently got the bug for gp4 after not touching it in nearly 8 years lol, im having some issues though. i managed to find this thread and have tried my best to help myself but it still wont work.....

You cannot play the game straight after installing it on Win 7 or higher, you have to do this dance (from my notes):

-----------
1. Make a FULL install of the game. Do not install in \Program Files (x86), e.g. install in a folder C:\Games... *****DONE*****
2. Install the Patch 9.6.*****DONE*****
3. Replace GP4.exe with the Decrypted GP4.exe 1.02.*****DONE*****
4. Install the latest GpxPatch.*****DONE***** (V4.44)
5. Set both GPxPatch.exe and GP4.exe in Windows Compatibility Mode for XP SP2 and set 'Run as Admnin'.*****DONE*****

6. Start GP4.exe with GPxPatch.

When i try to launch a black window about 3/4 of my screen appears followed by an error message (generic application error.Enable debug output for detailed information. this sample will now exit)

i have tryied by launching through gp xpach aswell as the decrypted exe, same result.

Any ideas guys ? im really not good with computers so any instructions will need to be completely moron proof lol

Many thanks & awsome site BTW i hope to be able to make use of some of the resources if i can get this issue fixed

mike
Date: October 18, 2016 10:27AM
Posted by: mortal
Set cpu to 0 in gpx and test, set gpx to run in debug mode, a forced exit will create a log file. Up the file to paste.bin and then link to it in a new thread with gpx error log as the header. A black screen is usually a graphics problem, if I recall correctly there might be something on it in the FAQ.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy