What programm do you use to paint your own helmet?

Posted by Pont 
What programm do you use to paint your own helmet?
Date: May 25, 2016 08:54PM
Posted by: Pont
any suggestions?
Gimp 2. The best one for me. But you have to be careful because you have to export the textures upside down and mirrored. Are you using the ARAI F1 2006 template that I'm using as well?
Photoshop ... but you have got many alternatives for free:
- The Gimp 2, as mentioned by TGF1Driver
- Paint.net
- Gimpshop: This one looks very interseting, even if not tested: The interface looks like Photoshop, same features, PSD supported etc... You should try this one: [www.gimpshop.com]

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another vote for GIMP from me, much easier for a beginner to learn than Photoshop I believe.
And you don't have to flip and mirror when exporting; If you need to do that, Slimtex and similar allow you to do so when converting to .tex for using in-game.

@Excalibur; Thanks for that link to Gimpshop, certainly looks interesting.
However, it seems that it wants to install it's own download manager to download the program for you:

Gimpshop.com is distributing the original unmodified software, obtained directly from GIMP's repository website, and does not modify it in any way.
These installers comply with the original software manufacturer's policies and terms & conditions.
DownloadAdmin™ is an install manager, which manages the installation of your chosen software.
In addition to managing your download and installation, DownloadAdmin™will offer free popular software that you may be interested in.
You are not required to install any additional software to complete your installation of your selected software.

I'm about to do some Googling to see if this is dodgy or not I think :-)

Yep, don't download Gimpshop, at least not from Gimpshop.com
Wikipedia

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 01:57AM by AUS_Doug.
Hi Aus_Doug!

Thanks for the infos. BTW, sometimes better is to be wary of what people write on Wikipedia... So, to be sure, I have tested from the link I have found, which is the real one...

1- Once launched, the installator ask you if you want to install System healer. This is not a malware or an adaware (I have checked. It seems to be a good trojans killer)... anyway, you can accept or deny to install it. So, I click on "deny"
2- The launcher starts to download Gimpshop 2.8 version and the installation is safe (checked if it has not installed any suspicious software)
3- I launch Gimpshop and everything works fine (under Win7 64...)

You can export your work in many format (most useful for us: tga, psd etc..)
The layers tab looks close from Photoshop and it is quite handy to work with....

Well, it is just my review but it works without any problem and it is safe ;-)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for checking it out.
I think, from the sounds of things, Gimpshop would be best for someone who has already used Photoshop before and wants to change to something free.
GIMP is better for a true beginner I think, and it can also work with all the formats we need. (Though layer groups get collapsed when you export to .psd, which is annoying)

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Photoshop 6 for me (yes the old one on CD !)
I tried GIMP but never understood how to deal with it. Probably, as said Doug, if I've been starting painting with GIMP it would have been easier to understand it.

I found Gimp very hard to get a handle on but I use Paint.net all the time, very simple but works very well for me.
This will be my first attempt. I would like to create a fictional helmet based on arai 6. So Gimp 2 would be the best option for me (for a beginner like me haha). I will give it a try.(Y)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy