The GP4 Legend's Trophy (all links on page 1) - Next session - Season 1 Review, News & Transfers

Posted by kingdeuce86 
Amazing Hamilton, what a race!
Now that the first batch of European races are over, it's time to look at certain aspects of the championships, clarify some rules, and explain any changes that could be made going forward.

1. Driver Movements

Drivers are not allowed to move teams mid-season.

Drivers are allowed to move teams in the off-season, but any driver swaps must adhere to the following rules:

-A driver must, where possible, drive for a team that he drove for during his Formula One career.
-However, if there is only one team in the driver's division that he drove for during his Formula One career, he is allowed to swap to another team, providing he swaps into a team of the same nationality as himself.
-If there are no eligible teams other than the one he is currently driving for, a driver may swap to any team in the division, providing the driver he is swapping with comes into a team that satisfies one of the above criteria.
-In the case of multi-way swaps, the criteria must be adhered to wherever possible, and the eligibility of these swaps will be dealt with and approved on a case-by-case basis.
-If a driver moves into a new division as a result of promotion or relegation, and all the eligible teams that satisfy the above criteria are already full, the driver must continue driving for his current team, or fill in any space available from another team if his previous team did not move divisions with him.

That might all sound a little complicated, but I'm trying to keep a balance between drivers driving for teams they have a famous or national affiliation for, and giving flexibility for drivers to swap teams.

An example:

If Alberto Ascari is to leave Ferrari, his only current option is to move to Benetton, as they are half-Italian and there are no other teams he drove for in his Formula One career (Maserati & Lancia) in the same division. A swap with Nino Farina is possible as Farina also drove for Ferrari. However, if Benetton are relegated – and not replaced by an Italian constructor – then Ascari is eligible to move to any other team as there are no teams other than Ferrari that satisfy the affiliation criteria, but such a move can only be completed if it is either a swap with a driver who drove for Ferrari in Formula One (e.g. Alonso, Prost), or a multi-way swap that would be done at my discretion and approval.

2. Driver Introductions

New drivers may be introduced into the Legend's Trophy league pyramid once they have satisfied the conditions of starting 25 Fomula One Grands Prix, and scoring at least one top 10 finish. Any such driver will be introduced starting from the season immediately after these conditions have been met.

This currently affects four drivers: Kevin Magnussen (currently on 20 starts), Max Verstappen, Carlos Sainz Jr, and Felipe Nasr (all 19). Will Stevens is also on 20, with Roberto Mehri on 14 and Alexander Rossi on 7.

Any driver introduced into the pyramid will start their first season in the division that reflects their average points score per Formula One Grand Prix start - the statistic used to determine which drivers started season one in which divisions. Therefore, a total of 93 F1 points is necessary to qualify for Division 4, with 42 points the figure needed to start in Division 5. Kevin Magnussen (55) and Max Verstappen (49) are already guaranteed entry to at least Division 5 next season.

Promotions and relegations will be adjusted as and when necessary.

3. Rating Updates

Drivers' performance ratings will be updated in accordance with their Formula One career after every Formula One Grand Prix that is completed. The ratings of the drivers currently in Formula One (Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel and Raikkonen in Division 1) will therefore fluctuate to mirror their Formula One results.

4. Season Two Race Calendar

My thoughts will soon start turning to the calendar for the second season. Suggestions have been made for tracks that should be introduced, and I also have my own thoughts on potential new tracks. Any further suggestions are welcome and can be made in this thread, but bear in mind that they must be tracks that are either of historical importance, or a challenging and generally well-received layout. They must also be available to download as a GP4 mod.

A provisional calendar for season two will be released later on this season, however the final calendar won't be released until after the season ends as I want to gauge the overall experience on each track before I make my final decisions on which (if any) tracks are to be replaced.

5. Qualifying

I'm not 100% happy with the structure of the qualifying session. At present, it is a 45 minute session, with x number of cars going out at a time to set a flying lap. The drawbacks of this system are that there are no cars on track at the end of the session, and gaps in the action as one set of cars drive their in laps, then the next set drive their out laps.

Unfortunately, my ability to modify this structure is limited by the ways I can manipulate the program, which is the length of the session (which I can only do between seasons), the number of cars on track, and the number of laps each driver is allowed. I'm trying to come up with ways I can manipulate these numbers to create a more interesting qualifying session – suggestions are welcome.

I'm also considering activating the “2003 Qualifying Rules” option in GPTweaker, whereby each driver takes it in turns to set one flying lap, but I won't make any decision on it until I have tested it on a non-championship race.

Any changes to the structure of the session besides minor tweaks to the number of cars allowed on track and the number of laps each driver can complete, will be made in the off-season.

Finally, if there are any other alterations or introductions that you think I should make to improve the quality of the championship, please let me know in this thread. All feedback is welcome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2016 11:48PM by kingdeuce86.
Vettel on the podium!
BTW, the 5 aspects are awesome.
MAJOR FORMAT CHANGES EXPECTED FOR NEXT SEASON

The Legend's Trophy looks set to undergo several key changes for next season, after it was announced that the races will be run as individual non-championship races - rather than a championship season - within the game itself.

The announcement from the LTO allows for major changes to be made to the qualifying format, the number of rounds in a season, and allows for the grid to be edited between the qualifying session and the race itself.

In theory, it would also allow for mid-season driver swaps, but there is no news yet as to whether that regulation will be changed.

As of yet, there is no news regarding specific changes, but it has been confirmed that this alteration in the way the races are run will not take place until the beginning of next season.

The championship tables will be kept up to date outside of the Grand Prix 4 program.
CLARK BEATS PROST TO SOUTH AMERICAN POLE

Jim Clark made the most of the changeable conditions during qualifying for the South American Grand Prix to give himself and Lotus their first pole position of the Legend's Trophy season.

Alain Prost will line up alongside Clark on the front row of the grid, missing out on pole by less than a tenth of a second.

Lewis Hamilton, fresh from his Monaco victory, starts third, with Michael Schumacher once again struggling in difficult conditions in fourth.

Fernando Alonso ensured a good day's work for the Renault team as he matched his best qualifying performance of the season with fifth, alongside championship contender Juan Manuel Fangio sixth.

Jack Brabham, who is last in the Driver's Championship and yet to score a point this season, got a lap in at just the right time to qualify seventh, and will be hoping he can turn that into a much needed good result for the struggling Brabham team.

It was, for the third time this season, a session that was shaped by changeable weather conditions, with rain just before the session making the track wet. But the rain soon eased off, which saw times continue to tumble as the session went on and the track got drier.

For most drivers, it was their last flying lap that was the quickest, and it looked like the six drivers that went out in the last mini-session - including Alonso, Fangio and Damon Hill - would be the ones most likely to post the fastest laps. However, more rain in the last few minutes of the session made the track more slippery and these drivers couldn't improve their times, meaning the group that had just gone out were the biggest beneficiaries of the changing track conditions.

For the drivers that were out at the right time, including Clark, Prost, Alonso and Brabham, this will be seen as an opportunity to get their season going and move up the championship standings. But for those that were caught out, such as Vettel (9th), Ascari (13th) and Senna (14th), their championship credentials look like they could take a dent after tomorrow's race.

But with the threat of more rain on race day, and on a Jacarapegua track where overtaking is possible, even those further back will fancy their chances. As for the drivers at the front, Clark and Prost will both be hoping to become the sixth different driver to win a race in the opening six rounds of what has so far been a very entertaining Legend's Trophy season.

FULL QUALIFYING RESULT

1) Jim CLARK (Lotus)
2) Alain PROST (Renault)
3) Lewis HAMILTON (McLaren)
4) Michael SCHUMACHER (Ferrari)
5) Fernando ALONSO (Renault)
6) Juan Manuel FANGIO (Mercedes)
7) Jack BRABHAM (Brabham)
8) Graham HILL (Lotus)
9) Sebastian VETTEL (Red Bull)
10) Nelson PIQUET (Williams)
11) Damon HILL (Williams)
12) Kimi RAIKKONEN (Cooper)
13) Alberto ASCARI (Ferrari)
14) Ayrton SENNA (McLaren)
15) Mike HAWTHORN (BRM)
16) Emerson FITTIPALDI (Red Bull)
17) Nino FARINA (Benetton)
18) Niki LAUDA (Brabham)
19) Denny HULME (Cooper)
20) Jody SCHECKTER (Benetton)
21) Jackie STEWART (BRM)
22) Mika HAKKINEN (Mercedes)

OVERALL QUALIFYING PERFORMANCE

(1 point per position in each qualifying session this season)

1) Michael SCHUMACHER (Ferrari) 21
2) Sebastian VETTEL (Red Bull) 26
3) Lewis HAMILTON (McLaren) 39
4) Graham HILL (Lotus) 41
5) Alain PROST (Renault) 42
6) Juan Manuel FANGIO (Mercedes) 42
7) Alberto ASCARI (Ferrari) 47
8) Ayrton SENNA (McLaren) 47
9) Jim CLARK (Lotus) 54
10) Nelson PIQUET (Williams) 57
11) Fernando ALONSO (Renault) 68
12) Kimi RAIKKONEN (Cooper) 70
13) Damon HILL (Williams) 73
14) Jackie STEWART (BRM) 79
15) Jack BRABHAM (Brabham) 89
16) Denny HULME (Cooper) 90
17) Emerson FITTIPALDI (Red Bull) 95
18) Nino FARINA (Benetton) 95
19) Jody SCHECKTER (Benetton) 106
20) Mike HAWTHORN (BRM) 109
21) Niki LAUDA (Brabham) 112
22) Mika HAKKINEN (Mercedes) 116

Prost could become yet another different race winner this season. Final times on the left. This was the only picture taken during the session due to technical difficulties.
weee, Nando doing well!

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?
Vettel still has to climb it all up.
3rd place for Hamilton, although I like him so far so good improving the pace. I hope he snatches another strong race.
PROST WINS SOUTH AMERICAN GRAND PRIX AFTER HUGE FITTIPALDI CRASH

Alain Prost took a dominant South American GP victory, ahead of Hamilton and Fangio, in a race that featured several big accidents, most notably involving Emerson Fittipaldi.

Fangio crossed the line in second place for Mercedes, but was given a 20-second penalty for overtaking Lewis Hamilton in a yellow flag zone - the second time he has received such a penalty this season - and was thus demoted to third place behind the Brit.

Jim Clark had a poor start from pole position, dropping down to seventh in the opening few laps, but recovered to finish fourth place, with the ever-consistent Sebastian Vettel fifth for Red Bull.

Ayrton Senna managed his tyres and fuel well to drive a no-stop strategy which saw him finish sixth following his poor qualifying.

The result promotes Juan Manuel Fangio to the top of the Driver's Championship, as both Ferraris failed to finish for the second race in succession. Vettel's fifth means he is still just one point off the top, with Hamilton and Schumacher not far behind.

The wide track, sweeping corners, and mixed up grid promised an exciting race, and the Jacarapegua circuit didn't disappoint, despite the lack of rain that was forecast, the race featured overtaking moves from start to finish, and several accidents.

The father-son duo of Graham and Damon Hill were the first casualties of the race, when they crashed into each other on the opening lap. It was the first time the family pair had been on the same piece of track this season, and it resulted in Damon's retirement and Graham having to pit for repairs that demoted him to the back of the field.

Nelson Piquet confirmed a miserable day for the Williams team when he spun off and retired whilst trying to overtake Jack Brabham on lap three.

The highest profile retirements were the two Ferraris. Alberto Ascari, who was driving a superb race, making his way up to fourth place after qualifying 13th, lost control of his 1967 Ferrari 312 coming out of the penultimate corner, and speared off into the barrier. Michael Schumacher, who Ascari had just overtaken, was unable to avoid the debris, and was also forced to retire as a result of the damage caused to his Ferrari.

The accident will no doubt pile more pressure on Ascari, with Ferrari apparently already unhappy with the number of accidents the Italian has had this season, and it also forfeited their lead at the top of the Constructor's Championship.

But while Ascari's accident was perhaps the most significant in terms of the championships, it was Emerson Fittipaldi who provided the most spectacular crash. Jackie Stewart, in trying to overtake Fittipaldi into turn one, drove into the back of the Red Bull, then clipped him again as they were both trying to recover round the high-speed corner, sending him flying through the air before coming to rest in the gravel with not much of the car still in tact. Stewart received a 20-second penalty after the race for causing the accident, which demoted him from eighth to tenth.

With all the action happening behind him, Alain Prost enjoyed a trouble-free race, dominating throughout and showing the kind of championship-winning form that he failed to deliver at the start of the season. The Frenchman moves up to seventh in the championship table, less than a race win behind Fangio, and will now be seen as a genuine title contender after his early race woes.

There was good news at the bottom of the table too, with Jack Brabham able to convert his 7th-placed grid slot into ninth and two points, his, and the Brabham team's first Legend's Trophy points this season. Nino Farina also made progress in his bid to avoid relegation with his eighth placed finish.

In the Constructor's Championship, Hamilton's second podium in a row helps promote McLaren to the top of the table, with the battle for third between Red Bull, Mercedes, Lotus and Renault intensifying. Williams' failure to score in Brazil sees them starting to lose touch with the leaders, whilst Benetton gain ground on BRM in the relegation battle.

FINAL STANDINGS

Brazil - Jacarepagua
(32 Laps)

Pos Driver Time/Speed

1st alain prost 43m 10.104s
renault-renault
2nd lewis hamilton +13.063s
mclaren-mercedes
3rd juan-manuel fangio +22.919s*
mercedes-amg
4th jim clark +43.873s
lotus-cosworth
5th sebastien vettel +44.595s
red bull-renault
6th ayrton senna +54.089s
mclaren-mercedes
7th fernando alonso +57.999s
renault-renault
8th nino farina +1m 13.154s
benetton-renault
9th jack brabham +1m 14.527s
brabham-ford
10th jackie stewart +1m 20.160s**
brm-brm
11th jody scheckter +1m 20.820s
benetton-renault
12th niki lauda -1 Lap
brabham-ford
13th kimi raikkonen -1 Lap
cooper-cosworth
14th graham hill -1 Lap
lotus-cosworth
15th denny hulme -2 Laps
cooper-cosworth
16th mike hawthorn Transmission
brm-brm
17th mika hakkinen Didn't Finish
mercedes-amg
18th emerson fittipaldi Didn't Finish
red bull-renault
19th michael schumacher Didn't Finish
ferrari-ferrari
20th alberto ascari Didn't Finish
ferrari-ferrari
21st nelson piquet Didn't Finish
williams-renault
22nd damon hill Didn't Finish
williams-renault

20-second penalties applied for *overtaking under yellow flags, **causing a collision.

DRIVER'S CHAMPIONSHIP

1) Juan Manuel FANGIO (Mercedes) 68
2) Sebastian VETTEL (Red Bull) 67
3) Lewis HAMILTON (McLaren) 62
4) Michael SCHUMACHER (Ferrari) 58
5) Ayrton SENNA (McLaren) 48
6) Graham HILL (Lotus) 46
7) Alain PROST (Renault) 44
8) Alberto ASCARI (Ferrari) 41
9) Damon HILL (Williams) 34
10) Jim CLARK (Lotus) 30
11) Fernando ALONSO (Renault) 24
12) Kimi RAIKKONEN (Cooper) 17
13) Nelson PIQUET (Williams) 17
14) Jackie STEWART (BRM) 11
15) Emerson FITTIPALDI (Red Bull) 10
16) Denny HULME (Cooper) 10
17) Jody SCHECKTER (Benetton) 6
----
18) Nino FARINA (Benetton) 6
19) Mike HAWTHORN (BRM) 4
20) Jack BRABHAM (Brabham) 2
21) Mika HAKKINEN (Mercedes) 1
22) Niki LAUDA (Brabham) 0

CONSTRUCTOR'S CHAMPIONSHIP

1) MCLAREN 110
2) FERRARI 99
3) RED BULL 77
4) LOTUS 76
5) MERCEDES 69
6) RENAULT 68
7) WILLIAMS 51
8) COOPER 27
9) BRM 15
----
10) BENETTON 12
11) BRABHAM 2

Prost made the most of Clark's poor start, moving into the lead at the first corner.

A family meeting might be in order after the Hills collided on the first lap.

Fangio would pass Hamilton for second, but under waved yellows.

Senna made his no-stop strategy work well, picking up valuable points for sixth.

The Ferraris battle for fourth...

...before Ascari's crash forces them both out of the race.

Fittipaldi's accident was perhaps the most spectacular of the season so far.

Vettel passes Senna for fifth.

Prost becomes the sixth different winner in the opening six races of the season.
It's still a balance.
Alain Prost is the greatest pilot of all time!!!
Great to see Hamilton finishing 2nd place and onto the podium again thanks to Fangio's 20 sec penalty. I slightly hope Hamilton can take the championship what he's going to do in real life now.
What impressives me the most with this thing is

a) your evidently apparent enthusiasm for the whole project, from inception to implementation, including a staggering - and perhaps a bit unnoticed - attention to detail in, like, write-ups, concepts, division structure, etc. and

b) the fact that your formula for determining package strengths seems to be working 100% well - most people hold certain champions in higher regard, such as Fangio, Schumacher, Senna and Clark (the best of the best, if you will) and your strength of the field reflects that. On the other hand, with so many high profile drivers, it must be hard not to consign a few of them to more or less permanent backmarker status, which would sound a bit judgmental - but it's not the case here, this thing beautifully strikes a balance between having a few clear-cut favorites who race close and having a reasonably level playing field which keeps everyone on their toes. I cannot stress enough how important close racing is here - imagine how many would follow this topic, it we'd have a runaway championship leader...

Tl;dr, this thing keeps impressing with your apparent enthusiasm and well-struck balance of performance, so keep it up. :-)

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2016 02:26PM by Atticus..
Thank you, Atticus, your positive feedback is gratefully received. Yes, there has been, and continues to be, a lot of work done in the background to keep this series not just going, but realistic, dynamic and innovative.

I must commend the Grand Prix 4 program for making this as successful as it is becoming. It's ability to add variance and human error provides interesting and unpredictable races where the favourites don't necessarily end up on top - the fact we've had six different winners in the first six races is a level of competition even I wasn't expecting.

I'm continuing to do background work in preparation for the second season, where I hope to improve on certain areas whilst making others more realistic and interesting. More news on that soon.
DRIVER CONTRACTS INTRODUCED

Drivers will be required to sign contracts to drive for teams in the Legend's Trophy, with immediate effect.

Contracts will last either one or two seasons, depending on the driver's affiliation with the team, and, starting next season, there is also the opportunity for drivers to be promoted or relegated before the end of the season.

The introduction of driver contracts has been implemented in an effort to make the desire and availability of drivers changing teams more realistic, giving a better and more recognisable balance of power between drivers and teams when it comes to negotiating transfers and new contracts. It is also designed to help encourage drivers to sign for teams that they are more recognisably affiliated with.

DRIVER CONTRACTS - THE RULES

A driver who has driven for their team during their Formula One career or shares the same nationality as the team may sign up to a TWO season contract.
A driver who does not satisfy the affiliation criteria may sign a ONE season contract.

For Season One, any driver that satisfies the affiliation criteria will automatically be given a two season contract, with all other drivers given a one season contract. This results in the following contracts for Division 1 drivers, coming into immediate effect:

Jody SCHECKTER (Benetton) 1 Season
Nino FARINA (Benetton) 2 Seasons
Jack BRABHAM (Brabham) 2 Seasons
Niki LAUDA (Brabham) 2 Seasons
Jackie STEWART (BRM) 2 Seasons
Mike HAWTHORN (BRM) 2 Seasons
Kimi RAIKKONEN (Cooper) 1 Season
Denny HULME (Cooper) 1 Season
Michael SCHUMACHER (Ferrari) 2 Seasons
Alberto ASCARI (Ferrari) 2 Seasons
Graham HILL (Lotus) 2 Seasons
Jim CLARK (Lotus) 2 Seasons
Lewis HAMILTON (McLaren) 2 Seasons
Ayrton SENNA (McLaren) 2 Seasons
Juan Manuel FANGIO (Mercedes) 2 Seasons
Mika HAKKINEN (Mercedes) 1 Season
Sebastian VETTEL (Red Bull) 2 Seasons
Emerson FITTIPALDI (Red Bull) 1 Season
Alain PROST (Renault) 2 Seasons
Fernando ALONSO (Renault) 2 Seasons
Damon HILL (Williams) 2 Seasons
Nelson PIQUET (Williams) 2 Seasons

Contracts may not be signed for the next season until after the race that passes the 50% duration mark of the season. Therefore, extensions or new contracts with other teams for next season may not be negotiated until after the Spanish GP (Round 9) this season.

If a driver swap is to take place involving a driver that is coming to the end of his contract at the end of that season, it may take place if EITHER the team or the driver wish for it to do so.
If a driver swap is to take place involving a driver that has one more season left on his contract after that season, it may only take place if BOTH the team and the driver agree for it to do so.

All driver swaps and new contracts must be completed and signed before the first round of the new season.

If a driver reaches the end of his contract, and he is unable to transfer to another team before the first round of the new season, he will automatically be signed onto a new one season contract with his current team, regardless of his affiliation with the team.

If a driver and team are to compete in different divisions for the following season (due to promotion or relegation), the driver must seek to sign a new contract with a team in the same division as himself before the first race of the new season. If he does not do so, he will be allocated to the team with a spare seat and automatically signed on a one season contract. If there is more than one driver in this position, seats will be assigned randomly, unless any driver satisfies the affiliation criteria with one of the available teams.

Contracts have no monetary value or any other significance other than to provide a quantifiable level of flexibility for driver swaps.

MID-SEASON DRIVER SWAPS

At present, mid-season driver swaps are not allowed. However, they are being looked into as a possibility starting from next season.

Mid-season promotions/relegations may take place, starting from next season, providing they adhere to the following rules:

A driver may be promoted to a higher division if:
-at least two-thirds of the races have been completed in the current season
-the driver is currently in an automatic promotion position in the Driver's Championship standings of the division he is already in
-there is a team available that has a driver currently in an automatic relegation position, and is willing to instigate the driver swap (NB: if the driver to be relegated is on a two season contract, the driver must also agree to the swap)

The driver may keep his position in the higher division for the following season if:
-he accrues enough points in the higher division to finish the season outside the relegation positions (NB: he will start from 0 points)
OR
-he finishes the season still in a promotion position in the lower division (NB: he will be unable to score any more points in the lower division after the swap)

If the driver fails to achieve either of these criteria, he will have to compete in the lower division again in the following season.

If the driver is able to keep his place in the higher division because he scored enough points to not be relegated, but he finished the season outside the promotion places in the lower division, then one less automatic promotion position will be granted from the lower division for the following season. (e.g. if the top 5 are to be promoted, and a driver swaps up a division early and keeps his place despite finishing 7th, then the top 4 plus the driver in question will be the 5 promoted drivers)

Any driver choosing to swap up a division early will be signed onto a rolling contract until the end of the season. He may, however, negotiate a new contract for the following season immediately.

A driver who chooses to swap up a division early may not return to the lower division for the remainder of the season.
SCHUMACHER ON POLE IN MONTREAL

Michael Schumacher recorded his fifth pole position of the season by less than a tenth of a second over Juan Manuel Fangio, with the entire field separated by under 2 seconds.

Starting at the front of the grid gives the German the best possible chance of putting a frustrating opening half-dozen races behind him that have been characterised by driver and team mistakes, and mounting a strong championship challenge with a good result at the Canadian circuit.

Alberto Ascari is under pressure to deliver at Ferrari, but helped his cause with a strong third on the grid, with an in-form Lewis Hamilton starting fourth.

Sebastian Vettel, now the only driver to qualify in the top 10 in every race so far this season, starts fifth, alongside the resurgent Alain Prost in sixth.

Ayrton Senna had a difficult session, but was able to put a lap together right at the end for seventh, with last race's pole sitter Jim Clark unable to reproduce that stunning lap in Brazil, he starts eighth.

Further back, Fernando Alonso continues to struggle to get any qualifying pace from his Renault, he starts 12th, whilst the under-pressure Mika Hakkinen produced his best performance of the season with 13th.

Schumacher will now be hoping to translate his pole into a victory that could send him back to the top of the Driver's Championship table, but with Fangio, Vettel and Hamilton all starting in the top 5, there are several drivers that could be head of the field after the race in Montreal.

At the bottom of the table, Niki Lauda - the only driver yet to score any Legend's Trophy points - looks unlikely to get himself on the scoreboard as he starts 20th, whilst Emerson Fittipaldi risks losing the hard work he put in for his sixth place in Monaco with another poor qualifying performance that sees him start 21st.

FULL QUALIFYING RESULT

1) Michael SCHUMACHER (Ferrari)
2) Juan Manuel FANGIO (Mercedes)
3) Alberto ASCARI (Ferrari)
4) Lewis HAMILTON (McLaren)
5) Sebastian VETTEL (Red Bull)
6) Alain PROST (Renault)
7) Ayrton SENNA (McLaren)
8) Jim CLARK (Lotus)
9) Damon HILL (Williams)
10) Jackie STEWART (BRM)
11) Graham HILL (Lotus)
12) Fernando ALONSO (Renault)
13) Mika HAKKINEN (Mercedes)
14) Kimi RAIKKONEN (Cooper)
15) Nelson PIQUET (Williams)
16) Jack BRABHAM (Brabham)
17) Denny HULME (Cooper)
18) Mike HAWTHORN (BRM)
19) Nino FARINA (Benetton)
20) Niki LAUDA (Brabham)
21) Emerson FITTIPALDI (Red Bull)
22) Jody SCHECKTER (Benetton)

QUALIFYING SESSIONS COULD BE SCRAPPED NEXT SEASON

A radical new system to determine the order of the grid for each race has been proposed, which would see the end of qualifying sessions, starting from season two.

The proposal is to rank drivers using their fastest lap from the previous race, and then give each driver the opportunity to improve or defend his position using "qualifying tokens", with each driver being given a set allocation of tokens at the start of the season that they may use however they wish during the course of the season.

The new system has been designed to reduce the level of sessions, and admin work, required to run a Legend's Trophy season, and to scrap the current format which sees long gaps in action during the qualifying session, and no cars on track at the end.

It should also encourage drivers to push themselves to drive quicker laps even when there is nothing to gain from that race, whilst introducing an element of strategy required to distribute the qualifying tokens wisely throughout the season.

At present, this new system has not been finalised or confirmed for next season, but it is being touted as the most likely qualifying format as it has so far been impossible to adjust the current format to give a spectacle worthy of running an extra session in each race weekend.

A decision is due to be made in the coming weeks.

Mika Hakkinen - as high as 7th at one point - starts from 13th on the grid, the highest he has started from all season.

Fangio came closest to knocking Schumacher off pole, but failed by less than a tenth of a second.

Only Alain Prost (44) has scored more points than Lewis Hamilton (43) in the last three races.

Senna drove his fastest lap at the end, but will need a strong race to match his San Marino victory. Final times on the left.
I vote no for new quali. If a driver retires on lap one or gets stuck in traffic.. he will have a slow fastest lap.

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

miki2000milos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I vote no for new quali. If a driver retires on
> lap one or gets stuck in traffic.. he will have a
> slow fastest lap.

If a driver retires on the opening lap he will have no fastest lap and will therefore be placed at the back of the grid for the next race. He will then have to decide whether or not to use more of his tokens to move himself up the grid, or try and make up the places during the race.

Drivers would have to keep this potential situation in mind during the season and decide how many tokens to keep "in reserve" in case this happens to them.
4th place for Hamilton, pretty good I should say :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2016 07:46PM by Bandon23.
yeah, I don't think that's too fair is it.. also how are you going to simulate the driver decisions? After all, drivers in GP4 don't really think do they :P

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy