Barbagallo Raceway [WIP]

Posted by AUS_Doug 
Barbagallo Raceway [WIP]
Date: June 26, 2015 01:12PM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
This will serve as a sort of a documentation of my first attempt at building a proper real world track; I've made a couple of short little experimental tracks for myself to have some fun round, but this will be a different beast entirely.

I'm not sure how far I'll go with it, but my main goal is to have something that can be driven around.

So, without further ado:

Barbagallo Raceway [WIP]:

Located approximately 50Km North of Perth, Western Australia, the 2.4Km Barbagallo Raceway is one of the shortest race tracks you will see, with sub-one minute laps common across many motorsport categories.

My most cherished memories from the time I played Codemasters' Race Driver 3 was driving this circuit in the Williams FW27 and, ever since firing up Grand Prix 4 again a few years back, it is the track I've wanted to see more than any other.

Below will follow a change-log of sorts, with updates of progress and what not.

I imagine that I'll be calling on a few of the veterans for advice and pointers before I'm finished, and I hope that I don't wear their patience.

So, lets begin.

Changelog:

30th June, 2015:
-----------------------

Super simple .dat layout Redux

Video (should be ready within 60 minutes of this edit) and image.

Following Atticus's advice, I started over again, this time following a 2D image from Google Maps (Thanks to F1 Virtual for their tutorial!)
Two things I learnt from this experience:
   - It is much easier to follow a 2D trace than it is to follow a 3D model.
   - I am an idiot; Nearly all of the problems I experienced with tracing the model can be put down to my not scaling the X, Y and Z dimensions equally - I was only off by 1/100th of a percent, but it was enough.

I'm basically certain now that I'll go with the LHS pitlane.

And this re-done version is now only 58m too long in the middle. I'm pretty happy with that.

28th June, 2015:
-----------------------

Super simple .dat layout in place.
Video and image.

It's bumpy as anything, and a few places - such as turn 4 (the near 180° left-hander uphill) and the final corner - need some work, but it is what is.

I've opted - at this stage - for the old LHS pitlane; It's easier, and I much prefer it to the new one on the RHS.
(You'll also note that, at this stage, it is very much just tacked on.)

Also, as you can see, the length is a tiny bit off - 2.6 Km in the centre instead of 2.45 - but I don't know that it is significant enough to worry about. 

26th June, 2015:
-----------------------

- I have my 3D model of the track surface:
    [i.imgur.com]
    Found this in my folder of 'misc' 3ds Max stuff; I know I made a model at some stage 2 years ago or so, but I can't recall if it was this one.
    As best as I can tell, it is accurate in all aspects - including elevation - and conforms to the post-2011 upgrade with the Pit-Lane on the Right-Hand side.
    I am presently laying track sectors over this model, doing a 'close enough' general outline before tweaking; A quick estimate is that I'll come in with around 2.6Km of track which, while not perfect, is pretty close.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 03:48AM by AUS_Doug.
Re: Barbagallo Raceway [WIP]
Date: June 26, 2015 01:19PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Date: June 26, 2015 01:22PM
Posted by: TomMK
A track-maker is born! Good luck Doug!

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: June 26, 2015 01:25PM
Posted by: gareth
Outstanding. barbagallo is a cracking little track - good luck with the elevation! The back straight is a roller coaster!
Date: June 26, 2015 03:12PM
Posted by: Slasher
Oh lord, my home cities track.

Cmon Doug, you know you can do it.
Date: June 26, 2015 05:46PM
Posted by: Atticus.
I can only echo those above me: great to see the project and good luck with it. :)

And indeed just drop a word if you need advice or something. It's a big thing to be willing to learn and take on building a track yourself. :-)

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
Date: June 27, 2015 03:38PM
Posted by: gildoorf
Some track elevation profile helpful info here:

[i289.photobucket.com]

And here:

[veloviewer.com]

Good track. Hope everything goes well.

Date: June 27, 2015 03:58PM
Posted by: Mullet345
Just wondering which version of the track you'll be making? One with old pits, or one with the newer pits?

Date: June 28, 2015 04:01AM
Cheers for the support everyone, much appreciated!

@gildoorf
Thanks for those, they'll come in handy.

@Mullet345
I'm not entirely sure just yet, but I am leaning towards the pre-2011 version with the pits on the left hand side.
It'll be easier for one thing - much more simple exit - and I just prefer it to the newer version.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Date: June 28, 2015 08:35AM
Update:

Got a stupidly simple .dat layout done, image and short video added to first post.

Date: June 28, 2015 01:44PM
The length difference is not that big of a problem, although 150 meters is slightly above my threshold where I consider re-doing the whole layout again (it's around 100 meters for me depending on how hard it is to nail the actual layout, how long the track is, etc.; this value changes from track-maker to track-maker).

However, you do have some inaccuracies in your layout - and trust me, you want these corrected sooner rather than later when you are already building trackside landscape and objects for the circuit. I've learnt this the hard way.

For example take a look at the last corner on Google Maps - you can see that it's a single apex turn rather than the double apex one you drew. The previous turn, the 180-degree one, has an earlier apex than what is in your .dat - it's hard to describe with words, but the corner turns 'more' in its early stage and its radius begins to increase earlier. Finally, Turn 3 seems to have a larger radius.

I don't know if you have followed the trace of your baseline image - the pic you posted on the 26th seems to have the correct Turn 3 and last turn layout, so I would consider a revisit there. However, the 180-degree turn seems to be a touch off on that one as well. If you are not satisfied, consider mapping the track in Google Maps and then insert that picture into GP4 Builder to base your track on. F1 Virtual wrote an excellent tutorial on how to do that (search 'f1 virtual inserting google earth picture' on Google).

Plus, a general tip: if you build elevations before you're done with things you can read from your baseline image (layout, track width, kerbs, bank widths, verges and pitlane layout), you are essentially wasting your precious time, because then when you want to proceed to the remaining items from the above list, you won't be able to place them on their proper spots. So, the tip would be: insert the baseline image, draw the initial layout, align the track width where needed (in the case of Barbagallo, maybe in Turn 4 first and foremost), place the kerbs, create the properly-sized run-off areas (I hate that part, haha, I find it way too time-consuming :D), and do the pitlane properly. After that, you can start building elevations which would then raise and drop your .dat from the surface of your baseline image. Also, your previously created parts, kerbs, rail alignments might provide help when you come to nail your elevations.

I know this sounds a lot, and I won't lie, creating a 95-99% spot on .dat does take time - however, you do have a lot of time, nobody is hurrying you (politely ignore the 'IZ IT RELEASED YET??!' type of comments) you do it when you want to do it.

Date: June 28, 2015 02:57PM
Posted by: AustinF1
Look forward to running on it!
Date: June 28, 2015 04:31PM
Posted by: miki2000milos
hmm, would like to see what you can do.

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2015 09:13PM by miki2000milos.
Date: June 28, 2015 05:31PM
Posted by: miki2000milos
this may also be a help with elevations
[ridewithgps.com]
(sorry for double post btw)

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2015 05:32PM by miki2000milos.
Date: June 29, 2015 02:52AM
@Atticus

Last Corner; Yeah, that was going to be the first one I corrected. I initially planned to just go back and adjust the sectors individually, but I think it'll be easier to redo the whole section.

Turn 6 and 3; Both of those do follow - in GP4 builder - the trace of the first model shot I posted, but they do feel a little wrong at the moment.

I'll see what I can do with what I've got so far and, if I can't get it to where I'm happy, I'll go get an image from Google Maps.

Thanks for your other tips as well, they'll come in handy.

Date: June 30, 2015 03:52AM
Update:

Re-did the super basic .dat, this time following an image from Google Maps rather than my 3D model.

New version is only 58m too long in the middle, so that's good.

And I'm certain now I'll be doing the pit-lane on the left hand side.

Video and image added to Changelog in first post.

Date: June 30, 2015 09:18PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Date: July 01, 2015 12:54AM
That, Sir, now is pretty impressive. :-) Seems to be a very well-built layout. :-)

Date: July 01, 2015 03:30AM
Posted by: Mullet345
Looks much better than before.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy