Extra tools on GP4 C drive(?)

Posted by AustinF1 
Extra tools on GP4 C drive(?)
Date: April 23, 2015 07:33PM
Posted by: AustinF1
I run my GP4 on my simulator in the basement. I use a ten year old PC with XP and no internet. This is by design as I have many kids that come and go (the room also has a huge 1/32 slot car track) and I don't want to deal with the junk that accompanies PCs, kids, and the web. As such, I do all my downloading and most mod work pertaining to GP4 on my newer Win 8.1 laptop and transfer the files to my GP4 dedicated PC via flash drives. Overall, this system works fairly well. I copied a whole GP4 file to one 16Gig flash drive that is already setup with the GP4 patches and the GPxPatch. When I plug this in to my GP4 PC and run the game with the original setups and tracks, it works well. When I use the GPxPatch track setup feature to substitute some of the newly made tracks that have already been formatted into separate .wad and .dat files, these seem to work well, also, at least most of them. However, when I attempt to install and substitute tracks that have been downloaded using the TSM system, these do not work as the system simply blinks a black screen and closes the entire program. I also sometimes use the Trackinstaller program to setup and install tracks but this also does not work well as the new tracks substituted via this method do all kinds of strange stuff when loading such as using the wrong loading images, sometimes loading the wrong tracks, and/or simply shutting down s described earlier. My theory is that the Zaz Tools and the Track Installer, and even the Teameditor do not like my flash drive copied version of the GP4 program, even though the GPxPatch is OK with it. Does the Zaz Tools, Track Installer, Teameditor, and/or other mod programs somehow "get mad" when they see a GP4 that is not the original installed version on the C Drive? Perhaps a registry issue? I know that when I attempt to install a second copy of GP4 on my PC to an alternate folder (to keep one original and the second or third to use with the various mods and tracks) the GP4 install program does not want to cooperate as it either wants to modify, repair, or remove the original program that it sees is already there. Sorry for being a little long on this post. Any help appreciated.
Re: Extra tools on GP4 C drive(?)
Date: April 23, 2015 07:59PM
Posted by: SDI
GPxPatch is the only tool that supports the original GP4 executable (even the 1.00 version). This executable is encrypted. All other tools that want to patch gp4.exe need the decrypted version.

One more thing: certain tracks only work in debug mode of GPxPatch. This debug mode is only available with the decrypted version.

René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download my GPx tools here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 08:01PM by SDI.
Date: April 23, 2015 11:33PM
I appreciate the feedback! I'll check those items this evening.
Date: April 24, 2015 12:51AM
Hey Rene,

All of my GP4s have been updated with the 9.6 official patch and the 1.02 decrypted patch prior to adding anything else. I have enjoyed using your GPxPatch, though, and as such just sent you a toten donation on your website. I only toy with the other utilities for two reasons: One, to attempt to get the tracks installed off the various GP4 websites that are available and must open with the TSM program off Zaz Tools, i.e. the ......tuh files. Secondly, I wish to change the driver names and team and performance numbers. I have fooled with using the CSM to download some former carsets (Cart and 1991 season mod) but I can live with the default GP4 carset just fine. For some reason, I have never been able to get CMagic to open. It keeps popping up and stating that my GP4.exe is not decrypted. I see that GPxPatch allows entry of a performance file but cannot create one itself. Is that correct?

Thanks again and my hat is off to you and the few others around the globe who still support GP4!

AustinF1 aka The Colonel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy