Slipstream Effect

Posted by RHill 
Slipstream Effect
Date: April 19, 2015 10:54PM
Posted by: RHill
Hi guys,

If I disable the slipstream effect in a csm mod for both the player and ai, does gp4 have some default slipstream effect that remains?

I just get the feeling that the ai follow each other easier than they follow me or I can follow them.

I want to make absolutely sure all slipstream effect is turned off to encourage over taking. Which files should I check?

Thank you for any help
Re: Slipstream Effect
Date: April 20, 2015 05:46PM
Hi all,

So I think I have narrowed down my 'competitive AI' problem to the exit of low speed corners. I don't think has anything to do with the slipstream effect, but perhaps someone could help me fix the problem I describe below?

It's like when I exit most low speed corners, I have far more traction then the AI, which means they can't stay close enough on long straights to make an overtake. When the AI are close enough they are brilliant and see what you guys mean about the quality of the AI. However what setting can I adjust to ensure the AI have the same traction out of the slow corners?

It's like I can short shift better to gain traction and edge away, even though they closed me down under breaking and had better grip in the corner itself. I just want to adjust something so the AI stay close out of the exit of the corner.

I would be very grateful for any help.

EDIT - Could someone also tell me if GP4 simulates the track rubbering in? I.E could my practice times (and adjusted AI speed) be wrong come the race?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2015 06:49PM by RHill.
Date: April 21, 2015 01:19AM
Posted by: TomMK
What difficulty level are you using? (Ace, Pro, etc).

How are your lap times compared to the AI? Are you faster overall, or is it about equal and you're just better in different areas to them?

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: April 21, 2015 10:30AM
I'm using Ace difficulty, but changing the grip levels to suit my laptime/pace. I don't need to change by much, but the laptimes are pretty equal once I've done it.

I'm just faster in the traction zones out of slow speed corners, but the AI catch me in the higher speed stuff. We're pretty equal in the braking zones. They would be perfect if they stayed with me out of slow corners under traction.

It's like they catch me, but loose me on exit and therefore don't get close enough in the straight to overtake. Is there anything I can try to either limit my traction or improve the ai traction?

Thanks
Date: April 22, 2015 08:07AM
Hi all, I hope my explanation makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Limiting my traction from corner exit or upping the ai's traction.

Thank you
Date: April 22, 2015 08:58AM
Posted by: Atticus.
Hi,

Just popping in: is it that the AI gradually loses ground to you on corner exits, or is it a sharp deceleration for a split second near the exit point/kerb? (You can check this in the easiest way if you FOLLOW them through a corner.) If it's a sharp deceleration thing, it could also be a sloppy CC-line.
Date: April 22, 2015 09:27AM
Hi, no it's not a CC line thing because the AI are nice and consistent through corners. It's more that I edge away slowly on corner exit after them being right on my tail into the corner.

If they had the same traction as I do, they would be close enough to overtake, but they just struggle to exit close enough to me.

Perhaps because I use 6 gears and the Ai use 7 I have better traction. They still use first gear though when I do. I've driven through corners in second and not used first gear and it helps the ai have equal traction but then I loose ground on the ai in front of me
Date: April 22, 2015 01:37PM
Are you using keys or a wheel? Traction control on or off?

Date: April 22, 2015 02:12PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
I would say you have a setup that isn't fast enough in straight lines and they have a setup that isn't fast enough in corners

Date: April 22, 2015 03:56PM
I'm using a wheel and with traction control off.

I read somewhere that with traction control ON the ai can be faster and the players revs build more slowly, ie slower out of corners?

Also I use default setups from Toms 2014 magic data, how should I adapt it to compensate for my problem?
Date: April 23, 2015 03:34AM
RHill
I'm using a wheel and with traction control off.

Yep that's the reason you're having this "problem" then. The AI always have TC on; they cannot turn it off. So in effect you are having an unfair race against them because you can turn it off (which is slightly faster but with higher tyre wear).

I can't think of anything that would speed up the AI only in the traction zones but not everywhere else... I'll put some more thought into it though.

Date: April 23, 2015 07:50AM
I see!

So traction control actually slows you down? I will probably race with it on for myself to even things up then.

Also I have been using your CSM mod Tom (2014) but changing the performance file to those gitanes has produced for each race. Since I still use the physics and torque curve that come with the CSM mod, could the BHP of the performance file I'm inserting be a mis-match with the physics?

In other words the power delivery being in the wrong place because the BHP in the performance file differs from the physics. I can obviously just change the value to the correct BHP in the perf file to match the physics if so.

Just wondered if that could effect it too? Appreciate you looking into it Tom. Cheers all

Rich
Date: April 23, 2015 08:16AM
Yeh TC slows you down a bit.

For the perf files - that should be fine - gitanes' performance & power values are roughly similar to mine (great minds think alike ;)) so they should be compatible.

Date: April 23, 2015 08:38AM
I would have never thought TC could slow you down, actually speed you up instead!

So im guessing there isn't a way to turn TC off for the ai?
Date: April 25, 2015 10:45AM
Guys if I adjusted my speed so I topped out at the end of the tracks longest straight, do you think this will help prevent me having an advantage out of corners vs the ai?
Date: April 26, 2015 02:39AM
I think turning TC on is the only way to be truely equal with the AI.

Date: April 26, 2015 03:26AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
You could also tweak the ratios of your lower gears to ruin your acceleration, though this would vary between tracks.

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Date: August 12, 2015 04:54PM
TomMK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > I'm using a wheel and with traction control
> off.
>
>
> Yep that's the reason you're having this "problem"
> then. The AI always have TC on; they cannot turn
> it off. So in effect you are having an unfair race
> against them because you can turn it off (which is
> slightly faster but with higher tyre wear).
>
> I can't think of anything that would speed up the
> AI only in the traction zones but not everywhere
> else... I'll put some more thought into it though.

Any thoughts on this Tom,

My thought process is to try the following tests -

Use belinis patch to make the cc cars have exactly the same grip as me, including the default player value
Turn TC on for all races
Play around with downforce / drag coefficient in the physics file to make cc cars accelerate better out of slow speed corners (does this effect only cc cars or only player or both?)
Also, increase the cc cars power in perf file to even things up on the straights
Shorten the ai gear ratios

I need a value that will keep the cc cars closer in the slow corners, any idea on that?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 11:23PM by RHill.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy