Flickering carshadows in TV cams on certain circuits

Posted by SkaaningeN 
Hey guys!
I've noticed at some released tracks the carshadows are flickering in TV cams. I remembered
that you could fix this with the change off the .col file but I tried this just now and did not manage
to fix it. Is there a fix for this?

Track in question this time is Spa 1998 by klausfeldmann

Cheers!

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
Well, car shadows are definitely .col related. Specifically, flickering shadows are most certainly caused by different .col and .gp4 meshes.

Usually, recreating the .col would solve the problem, if you make sure the HD sector subdivisions are the same in both .col and .gp4.

There is a problem if the track in question is a track from the original game. There is a slight difference in how GP4Builder generates banked sections when compared to the original tracks, so if you have the original .gp4 mesh and a new .col, they will not match.

If you recreate the whole track mesh in the .gp4 file (tarmac and white lines), then also the .bin and .col files, the problem should be gone.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Re: Flickering carshadows in TV cams on certain circuits
Date: April 18, 2015 06:58PM
Posted by: Lo2k
It gave me the doubt that GP4 Builder was wrongly computing .dat files.
So I made a test and no, .dat file is correct in builder as it perfectly mimics ingame car position. That's original tracks .gp4 files that do not match the .dat ! (at least for Indianapolis)

So indeed for original tracks with banking, you better use convert .gp4 to .col, instead of convert .dat to .col if you want shadows to match banking areas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 08:13PM by Lo2k.
Thank you, solved my problem ... (Again create the asphalt and the .bin file). (Y)

AYRTON SENNA FOREVER!
Unfortunaly I could make this work.

I tried both, just to be sure.

Create .col from .dat, no difference
Create .col from .gp4, no difference

Could it be a trackcam problem? As you know, I always change the trackcams to
my liking before a raceweekend in GP4.

As for the released track. It's the original Spa but with updated signs and adverts to
comply for the 1998 season. As far as I could tell, the .dat was the same as the one
from Jurgen's (Quickslick's) 2001 updated trackpack

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!
I think this bug only occurs with projected shadows, try using one of the other options in the f1graphics.cfg (static or composite). Shadows will look a bit worse but the flickering should vanish.

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: October 06, 2015 08:11PM
Posted by: ramf1v
n00binio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think this bug only occurs with projected
> shadows, try using one of the other options in the
> f1graphics.cfg (static or composite). Shadows will
> look a bit worse but the flickering should vanish.

Cheers, this is the only method I've tried that actually works, I can live with the soft shadows , the flickering drove me nuts.

F1Dev
You're welcome mate, I'm glad it did the trick for you :-)

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Thanks for that tip, I think a few people will use it including myself, - Melbourne was a problem track for flickering shadows so thankfully thats fixed

cheers!
Date: October 17, 2015 02:05PM
Posted by: munnzy
Thank you for advice. melbourne was driving me nuts too with long shadows projecting out the back of the cars in front.
regards to all
#JB17
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy