[RELEASED] Monaco - Historic layout by Atticus

Posted by Atticus. 
[RELEASED] Monaco - Historic layout by Atticus
Date: March 05, 2015 01:26AM
Posted by: Atticus.
Circuit de Monaco - Historic by Atticus

What is now the undisputed crown jewel of the Formula 1 world championship calendar started out as one of the first Grands Prix (or Grandes Épreuves) in the world, set amongst the calm villas of a lush Mediterranean town as early as 1929. Of course, it was just as beautiful as it is today with its remarkable seaside setting and with cars baking in the sunshine during the event's traditional late May date. It was used to be called the 'Race of a Thousand Corners' for the old circuit layout consisted of 10 turns and the race lasted for 100 laps.

That old layout looked like this.

It is rather unassuming at first sight, but despite having 'only' 10 turns, compared to what is there today, it was a different proposition entirely.

Let's see what some of the best drivers of the past had to say about some of its challenges.

Ste Devote - it is much quicker than nowadays; it's basically like jumping into a giant bowl and trying to maneuver into the only pipeline leading out of it. You have to stay patient on the entry and wait for the hole to appear. Then again, you can carry more speed than you think as the road turns sharply uphill at the apex and the compression itself helps you finish the corner.

"[Coming into it] you don't use all the corner, you don't use all the road..." - Jackie Stewart, 1971

"It is probably the fastest bend on the course." - Graham Hill, 1968

Chicane - the quickest of the four configurations used so far, the one sitting right at the bottom of the tunnel road descent, is the only one of the four which you can take flat-out. It's not that it's wider but, just as the exit of Ste Devote, the entry of it cleverly uses the compression from the road to help the car turn in.

"[It] takes more daring than skill, [...] [it] requires sheer guts. You enter it doing the best part of 110mph, just miss the sloping left hand wall and shoot through the gap to miss the sloping right hand wall. If you slide a bit too much in the middle of it you're liable to hit the right hand wall coming out and this will throw the car [off line]. If you enter it a little bit tight and clip the inside edge going in it will bounce the car into the right hand wall." - Bruce McLaren, 1967

Tabac - the objective is the same as it is today: try to get as close to the barriers as possible - but it's more difficult to do so due to the top of the ramp constantly trying to throw you off-balance on the exit.

"...Be careful to come off the brakes before you hit this slight ramp, otherwise the nose tends to hit the ground. [...] You just about miss the wall as you're accelerating away." - Graham Hill, 1968

Gazometre - you will be amazed that there is a bigger low-speed challenge than Loews, but this is it. You come into it faster so it's harder to get your braking right and the camber falls away to your left in a quite pronounced way on the exit.

Using the original .dat-frame of the game that is built using GPS data, I was able to recreate every nuance of this historical 10-turn layout as close to perfection as possible, despite it being more than 30 years old - although it still uses 2001 3D, just as the recently-released Imola Classic does. This Monaco layout saw many many great duels, served as arguably the most famous racing movie scene and witnessed amusing (and lucky) baths in the harbour, among others.

Enjoy adding your own chapter. :-)

DOWNLOAD LINK: [www.mediafire.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2016 01:24PM by Atticus..
Cool as mate!
Re: [RELEASED] Monaco - Historic layout by Atticus
Date: March 05, 2015 02:44AM
Posted by: Briere
Woohoo !
Date: March 05, 2015 04:27AM
Posted by: rookie26
Thank you so much Atticus. Can't wait to try it out.

If it's half as good as your Imola Release, it will be still amazing.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many Greetings
wow, nice that you could get this done!

I hope this Monaco track allows some overtakes unlike the original Monaco. ;)

GPGSL - Yakuza driver

GPGSL activity check app: Direct link - Source code - Have you posted?
Can't wait to try this track out, thanks for sharing.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: March 05, 2015 11:56AM
Posted by: kedy89
Many thanks :)

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Date: March 05, 2015 12:52PM
Mediafire was down for some reason in the past few hours (it's not that the link itself expired or something like that), should be all OK by now.

Apologies for the inconveniences in any case.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2015 01:44PM by Atticus..
Date: March 06, 2015 01:01AM
Posted by: Richard J
Atticus, I have been having a lot of problems with Drt01 conversion of the early Monaco track he made I believe from Grand Prix Legions, with the AI cars entering the pit lane correctly. Since you have found the secret with your version using modern grahics, is there a chance you could look at his track .dat file or work with him to fix the pit lane entry problem? The AI cars go way out to the left, run through the left wall/barriers, take a drastic turn to the right to enter the pits. Unfortunately, they do not stop, just slow down and return racing. This action also causes other cars to crash into each other and end up being taken out of the race. If you are aware of a fix .dat file for this track I would appreciate knowing where to down load it. I really like the graphics for the 1955 Mercedes mod and 1960's mods.

I did find two issues with you version though. When completing the final hairpin curve, they seem to run through the left barrier, which is quite close to the left curb. When they do pit, there are a lot of pit crew members all over the track, for them to hit. Otherwise, great track for the early moder years of Monaco.

Richard J

Richard J
Date: March 07, 2015 10:33AM
Posted by: flying
Thank You (Y)
Date: March 07, 2015 10:51AM
Posted by: thestig88
outstanding! thank you!
Date: March 07, 2015 12:26PM
Posted by: kerleyf1
Great! Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Date: March 09, 2015 12:48AM
Thank you so much for the thank yous, guys, I'm happy to see you like it. :-)

@miki2000milos: Well, the half-opportunity before the chicane is obviously gone now, but another half-ish opportunity arose on the run towards the last corner. I saw the AI pulling off some moves there, although not many. As for me, I still like the unconventional overtaking spots the most, like Mirabeau and Loews. I overtake a lot there, although I admit I screw them up about 30% of the time, it's that tight.

On another note, I ran a trial race a few days back, just to check my work out during a proper race weekend - and I got to exactly lap 3 before I "slide a bit too much in the middle" of the Chicane and "hit the right hand wall coming out", just as Bruce McLaren said it's easy to do... The curious thing is, despite this, I do crash surprisingly rarely there, like, this was probably my 2nd or 3rd shunt out of a zillion occasions. It is very scary though to go through there lap after lap.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy