GP4 crashes...anybody knows this problem??

Posted by Cosmic 
GP4 crashes...anybody knows this problem??
Date: January 14, 2015 12:20PM
Posted by: Cosmic
Hi guys and a happy new year (H)

I've got a problem with my GP4 as it crashes from time to time during the race. The screen simply freezes while the sound keeps going on making his noise...at the Point the game crashed.
Unfortunately I can't create a log-file of the crash as I have to start the Task-Manager to close the game.

I started a championshop with 4 Drivers (the german ones ;-) ) in hotseat-mode. using the 2014-mod of Tom and the 2012 Trackpack for TSM. The first 2 races went well, but in Shanghai it happened for the first time. Always at the same lap during the race. So I downloaded another Version of Shanghai.
I skipped to racing Non-Championship races and make my own list for the Championship Points. So I can race the tracks I want...and race all 18 tracks.

But it happened at Monza (Both track from trackpack and Monza 2013 by Hega) yesterday and last week at Shanghai (newer Version).

Anybody an idea what this could be??

I've modified the mod a bit in changing the engine-sounds, editing the Performance file and adding the ITV Soundpack. I'm not willing to install the whole game with all it's addons again to be honest... GP4 runs on WIN 7 64-Bit, if this Information is useful?

For any idea what this might be I would be very thankful.

Also, could someone take a look at my f1graphics.bat as I think there are some mistakes...

Regards
Lutz
Re: GP4 crashes...anybody knows this problem??
Date: January 14, 2015 08:03PM
Posted by: TGF1DRIVER
Yes, I once discovered the same problem with Win 7, 64 bit. That's why I'm using an XP mode, because I simply don't trust GP4 running in Win 7 anymore. Can you tell me if some message like "GP4.exe funktioniert nicht mehr" or "GP4.exe hat ein Problem festgestellt und muss beendet werden" appears on the screen shortly after the game has crashed? :-)
Date: January 14, 2015 11:00PM
Posted by: TomMK
Can you post your version of Shanghai and tell me what lap? I'll see if I can replicate it.

I use Windows 7 64 bit and it's fine for me...

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: January 14, 2015 11:08PM
Yeah it runs fine for Win 7 64 bit as well, but there you have to install something and I am simply frightened that it will happen again though. So I'm still using XP Modes. (H)
Date: January 22, 2015 10:44PM
Hi there,

sorry for my late reply...was ill in bed :-(

@ TGF1DRIVER: It says "GP4.exe reagiert nicht mehr" und im Taskmanager steht "Keine Rückmeldung". I run CSM in XP-Mode as an Admin, also all other things like gpxpatch etc.

@TomMK: Just tested it and loaded my savegame: In Lap 54 of 56 it crashed. Got it saved in Lap 51. It's the Shanghai Track of the 2012 Trackpack for CSM. Which specific info regarding the track do you need?
Infos from the Track folder are: uid=90169637-38C0-4658-A626-B0E4067640C2 / Author: A / wad:Shanghai2011.wad / dat:Shanghai2011.dat / gpi=18.gpi
It's a 4 Player Non-championship race with 100% Race distance.

It also happened at Monza...seems to be a problem of GP4. I could send you the savegame?!

Thanks for your help boys!!!
Date: January 22, 2015 10:48PM
I would suggest using GPxTrack to install the track instead of TSM.

Date: January 22, 2015 11:08PM
It crashed in lap 54 of 56!? :-( If that would have happened to me I would have thrown my computer out of the window! hot As I already said, GP4 and Windows 7 64 bit - that's a dangerous combination. It's your choice to have that danger forever or switch back to Windows XP. When you want to know more about how it works with an XP Mode then please pm me. ;)

Your German countryman TG :)
Date: January 22, 2015 11:36PM
Hey Tom,

does this also work when starting the game via CSM ??
Do I have to select "None" as track list in the "mod's configurables" ??

Then I will test it...

Regards
Lutz
Date: January 22, 2015 11:49PM
Ok,

I tested it with the tracks installed by GPxPatch.
Cose "None" as Tracklist in TSM for the 2014 mod. Then got the tracks.set edited in GPxPatch.
Each track in a separate folder.
When I started the game via CSM it worked and I could load the game. But while loading the track it crashed...tried to load my savegame at Shangai!

Started it again and selected "Fast Laps (Schnelle Runden)" on Shanghai. Crashed again when loading the track...

Any fault from my side??
Date: January 23, 2015 12:43AM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Maybe try and load the game with GPxPatch only, not via CSM

Date: January 23, 2015 01:16AM
I've tweaked / fixed a few things and made it compatible with GPxTrack. Download this version and try again (you won't be able to load your saved game sorry, you need to start the race again).

Changes:

- New Magic Data
- Tweaked CC Line
- Fixed one sector missing banking flags
- Added trackmap, loading screen and settings ini file

Date: January 23, 2015 01:31AM
Posted by: SDI
Thanks for making it compatible with GPxTrack. But the readme.txt still explains how to install it in the old way.

René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download my GPx tools here.
Date: January 23, 2015 09:12AM
Hey Tom,

thanks for your work! I'll try it on monday, won't get a Chance of doing so earlier...

How do I get to know if a track is compatible with GPxTrack? Or is it just trying out? And if not, what to do to make it work in GPxTrack??

Have a nice Weekend
Lutz
Date: January 23, 2015 01:42PM
Posted by: SDI
You can find out how to make it compatible with GPxTrack by reading the GPxTrack documentation. But if you don't want to read it, the easiest way is to look at the Pau track by Addie, as it exactly follows all the conventions. It's mainly about the .ini file, and which other files you include, not the content of the .dat or .wad (except the directory names within the .wad).

GPxTrack is very lenient, so your track already loads correctly with just the minimal requirements, namely the presence of a .dat and a .wad file. It doesn't even matter what they are called, as long as the .wad has the correct directory names inside it. GPxTrack makes sure that your track can be loaded into any slot. The optional files like .gpi and .bmp are there to update the in-game menus, so you don't see any content of the original track in that slot. This is also true for the content of the .ini file. Not all settings are mandatory, but including them makes sure the defaults for that slot are overridden. This all happens in memory and without any changes to actual files, like CSM/TSM does.

René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download my GPx tools here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 01:49PM by SDI.
Date: January 23, 2015 03:35PM
Hello René and thanks a lot for your answer.
I read this documentation again for a several times in hope to find the Information that helps me...as my technical english is not the best :-)

Have a nice Weekend...
Lutz
Date: January 23, 2015 03:51PM
SDI
This all happens in memory and without any changes to actual files, like CSM/TSM does.

This is why GPxTrack is better than TSM. (Y)

Cosmic
How do I get to know if a track is compatible with GPxTrack?

Have a look at any track I have uploaded to GP4 Central as they are mostly ready for GPxTrack. And I am always willing to take requests so if there is a track you need just ask. :-)

Date: January 26, 2015 04:10PM
Hey Guys,

I'll try all this tonight...if I understand the GPxTrack Documentation correct, then I first have to check all the .ini-files in the directories of the tracks.
Will also download the updated track from Tom and then give you a Feedback.

Take care...
Date: January 26, 2015 05:47PM
Hi Tom,

your Shanghai Track works now with GPxTrack on my PC !!! Thanks a lot...

So I'll try to update all track folders this evening...especially the .ini-files and see if it works then!

Otherwise you'll get a pm from me ;-)

Regards
Lutz
Date: January 26, 2015 09:30PM
Doesn't work when I edit...got a pm Tom :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy