How to edit helmets in GP4?

Posted by ThaPumpkin27 
How to edit helmets in GP4?
Date: November 22, 2014 09:38PM
Posted by: ThaPumpkin27
I have a few questions about editing helmets in GP4. I know almost nothing about how to do it, and i did some research and found almost nothing.

1. What programs do I need to edit the helmets? Right now I use GIMP. I understand I can't edit something called .tex files so I converted them to .tga files with TexResizer but GIMP can't open any of those files so i'm not sure how to do it. Can I use GIMP or any other free program? I can't afford photoshop and even if I did I don't think it's worth the money for only doing this.

2. What program do I need to look at my helmets in 3d before I put them in the game? Is it even possible to do that?

3. Do I need a specific helmetshape for each design. Example: Can I paint a helmet for a shape from 1993 and still use the livery with a 1996 shape without problems?

If my only option really is photoshop I guess I could "borrow" it from the internet. But I would really prefer not to.

Finally after a few years of playing GP4 and the amazing mods for it. I'm going to atleast try doing smaller things like painting cars and helmets. And later I might even realese some stuff if i'm allowed to. It will probably only be fictional stuff at first.
Re: How to edit helmets in GP4?
Date: November 22, 2014 10:05PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
1- You need the helmet's template in .psd format rather than use the tex file. You can edit it with Gimp, Photoshop, paint.net or Paintshop

2- Search for zModeller 1.7

3- You need to know which shape the modder did use for his mod and then use the relevant template

Date: November 23, 2014 04:08PM
Posted by: ThaPumpkin27
Is there any way I can find and edit the helmets from a CSM mod? I'm currently driving the 1991 season but I can't find the shapes. Only the .tex files.
Date: November 23, 2014 04:35PM
Posted by: quickslick
the season 91 helmet shapes are in the same folder like the helmet tex files from the mod, but in the subfolders helmet2d and helmet3d

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 04:37PM by quickslick.
Date: November 23, 2014 04:43PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Usualy that's not in the mod itself.

You don't have to edit the shape to make a new livery, you need what we call a template (which is a kind of texture file with layers to edit) in .psd format (which is the default format of Photoshop but you can open and edit it with Gimp as well).

I'm not sure if a template is available for this mod, but you can go and have a look in the download section or maybe someone else can share a link for you.

Edit: quickslick was quicker ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2014 04:44PM by EricMoinet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy