GP4 and Windows 8.1

Posted by jaa 
GP4 and Windows 8.1
Date: October 21, 2014 11:48PM
Posted by: jaa
Hi,

I have just got a Windows 8.1 machine (forced to by a lightning storm wrecking my old machine) and do not know how to get GP4 working on it.

I install the disk, then try to run it and the screen goes partly black (top-left three quarters) and then nothing. I have to do Ctrl-Alt-Delete and resign in to get the functionality of the computer back.

I have looked on [www.grandprixgames.org] but the link for 'GP4 Win 8' does not go anywhere. The odd post about this on this forum is bewildering to me. All techno talk.

Could someone give an idiot's guide to installing GP4 on Win8.1 just assuming I have the original disk and a fail in my techno-babble GCSE. (Please link directly to any downloads I need, please no torrents).

Thanks in advance.
Re: GP4 and Windows 8.1
Date: October 22, 2014 10:46AM
Posted by: NickJW
Hi mate, i also have windows 8.1 and this worked for me:
1. Get gp4 from here: [www.gp4central.com] (It's a torrent file but you only need to extract it and then you can play it.)
2. Don't forget to set the compability mode from gp4.exe(right click>properties>compability) to windows xp sp3 and make sure you run it as administrator.
3. Tadaaaaaaaa you have a fully running gp4 :)

PC:

Laptop:

Twitter: MisterShine13
Date: October 22, 2014 08:03PM
Thanks for the reply.

The file in 1. is a file GrandPrixEtc.zip.torrent file. It is really small. What am I meant to do with it? (If the torrent extension means I need to download a torrent program, do you know where I can get the stuff without using torrents?)

In the meantime, I reinstalled GP4 and right clicked the exe, did properties, and made it windows xp sp3 compatibility, but this sadly did nothing.

Edit: Also, when I install the game there is an install directx 8.1 option. Do I do this. I thought Win8.1 has a newer version of directx so I wouldn't want to overwrite that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2014 08:10PM by jaa.
Date: October 22, 2014 09:25PM
Posted by: kedy89
When installing gp4 on win8 you should create a new directory for it, e.g. C:\Games\GP4. I had issues when installing it to Program Files, as all files were write protected.

After you've installed the game, install the v9.6 patch [www.grandprixgames.org].

Then you replace the gp4.exe with the noCD gp4.exe [www.grandprixgames.org]. Set it to compability xp sp3 and tick the run as admin box.

Now you install gpxpatch v4.30a [rsdi.home.xs4all.nl]. For the gpxpatch.exe you set compability xp sp3 and run as admin as well.

Run the game now via gpxpatch, and calibrate the audio and graphics. When you've done that, exit the game and save the settings.

After that you can either install ZazTools [www.grandprixgames.org], or update your wad manually.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Date: October 23, 2014 01:23AM
Posted by: NickJW
Yup search on google for utorrent. And directx 8.1 is not needed :)

PC:

Laptop:

Twitter: MisterShine13
Date: October 23, 2014 01:49AM
Posted by: AUS_Doug
If you don't want to use a Torrent client, I recommend zbigz.com

That site allows you to upload the really small .torrent file and it does all the caching - getting all the pieces from other people - for you, and then allows you to download the complete file like you would any other .zip

F1 Graphics Swapper --- Lensdump - Renders and Screenshots --- GP4 Performance Generator
Date: October 23, 2014 05:37PM
Posted by: nileblackflame
Just wanted to pass along that GP4 is working fine with the Windows 10 preview if anyone was considering using that.
Date: October 25, 2014 12:51PM
Thanks for all the help everyone. It was kedy89's formula that worked for me.

I cannot thank you all enough. GP4 is such a cool game. After the lightning disaster I did not think I would get to play it again. But thanks to you guys it is all working again. THANKS, THANKS, THANKS.

GP4 and Over Flanders Fields (the last version, the newest version requires massively high specs [www.overflandersfields.com] which do not work on my machine) are the only non-app games that I play.

So thanks to everyone again for helping me out. You guys are great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy