Full Course Yellow

Posted by Tommy40F1 
Full Course Yellow
Date: September 17, 2014 06:02AM
Posted by: Tommy40F1
Hi Guys,

I´ve got a question to the experts.
Is it possible to realize a "full course yellow", maybe for 1 or 2 laps, after a big crash during a race?
That would give another realistic part to the game, which is in my opinion, the best simulation ever.

Sorry for my English

Best regards
Re: Full Course Yellow
Date: September 17, 2014 12:04PM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
Implementing a full-course-yellow might be very difficult, if not impossible. But I still hope it will become reality, once. Until then, I simply restart the races and use:
- the costum-grid-tool to have the right starting order,
- GPx-Patch to the right laps remaining and
- GP4-Tweaker (file: numcars.ini) to not let restart the cars being out to race already.

Offtopic:
Why do you excuse for your english, although it seems to be quite nice?
Date: September 18, 2014 10:06AM
Danke Klaus für die prombte Antwort.
Leider bin ich nicht sehr firm was das Manipulieren des Spiels angeht.
Was z.B. meintest Du mit "- the costum-grid-tool to have the right starting order" ?

Gruß
Thomas
Date: September 18, 2014 02:25PM
Tommy40F1 schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Danke Klaus für die prombte Antwort.
> Leider bin ich nicht sehr firm was das
> Manipulieren des Spiels angeht.
> Was z.B. meintest Du mit "- the costum-grid-tool
> to have the right starting order" ?
>
> Gruß
> Thomas

Ich habe gerade nicht so viel Zeit, aber ich werde mal eine kleine Anleitung machen ;-).

I don't have so much time at the moment, but I'll make a short guide about it soon ;-).
Date: September 21, 2014 08:03PM
Full Course Yellow

Sadly, we don't have a full course yellow-feature in Grand Prix 4. Even great SDI was unable to implement it, so far. So we have to perform some tricks to simulate the appearance of the SafetyCar.

How to simulate the SafetyCar:

If there is a big crash on the track or any other reason, you think a SafetyCar might appear, you can do the following to simulate the SafetyCar-appearance:

1. Write the current race positions and the cars being out so far on a piece of paper. It'll be important for the next steps.

2. Close GP4 and open the 'numcars.ini' in your Grand Prix 4/gp4tweak_data-folder. The 'numcars.ini' might have been installed, if you have downloaded the GP4-Tweaker Personal Edition. If it isn't installed so far, download current version of the GP4-Tweaker Personal Edition and install it.

3. Within the 'numcars.ini' you can decide, which drivers shall not restart the race. '1' means that the driver will start at a certain race, '0' means that the driver won't start at the race.

Example:
If you make a race at track-slot #3 (Interlagos) and want the #5 driver (R. Schumacher) to be out of the race, replace the figure '1' by '0' in the appropriate column and the right line.

Do this for all the drivers being out of your original race so far. Use your nots of step #1 for this task. Finally, save the 'numcars.ini'.

4. Now, open the 'CustomGridTool' by Shaddix. Download it, if you haven't done so far. After opening the software, a dialog will ask you to open your GP4-performance-file. Do so. In the next dialog, you can define the driver's starting positions for the restart. As for step #3, use your notes for this task. Drivers being out of the race can all be set on position #22. When you are done, save the new performance-file. Make sure not to overwrite your existing performance-file if you want to keep it. Now, you can close the 'CustomGridTool'.

5. Open GPxPatch and switch over to the 'GPxSet'-tab. Make sure that GPxPatch uses the new - by the CustomGridTool created - performace-file. Next click the 'Session settings'-button. There you have to redefine the 'Quickrace length' - at least in case you don't want to restart the complete race distance. Calculate the follwing way:
100 / TOTAL RACE LAPS * LAPS REMAINING AFTER RESTART

Example:
A race at Interlagos (71 laps in total) has to be stopped after 8 laps driven. So, 63 laps (or even less, if you want to) are still remaining.
Calculation: 100 / 71 * 63 = 89 %

6. Click 'Okay' and start GP4.

7. In GP4, switch the game mode over to 'quickrace'. Now, open the 'Options' --> 'Race/Game Options' (I hope the terms, I use, are correct). Define your own starting position for the restart.

8. Restart the race. Enjoy it!

With a little experience the whole procedure won't need more than about 5 minutes to restart a race.

Side effects:

Of course, these tricks are no perfect solution to simulate the SafetyCar:
- You may have different weather conditions for the restart. This problem can be solved partly by using GPxPatch's weather seeds.
- There is no tactical component in the SafetyCar. All cars will restart with new tyres and full fuel tanks.
- Think of restoring the old game-data after finishing your race:
~ GP4's game-options,
~ GP4's game mode (if you want to restore it),
~ GPxPatch's performace file,
~ GPxPatch's quickrace length and
~ numcars.ini.

Personal notes:

In the past, I was a big fan of the SafetyCar and used it quite frequently. But nowadays, I have a different opinion. I think Full-Course-Yellows destroy a race - in reality as in GP4. So, today, I use this SafetyCar-simulation quite rarely, just 3 or 4 times along the whole season.
Nevertheless, simulating a SafetyCar this way can lead to very exciting race finals, even if there are just a few laps still to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2014 08:06PM by klausfeldmann.
Date: September 22, 2014 05:19PM
Posted by: ooleeeo
Rfactor has a safety car feature,but the ai are really stupid and sometimes crash into the safety car. (N)

I prefer the gp series games ( gp2,gp3 and gp4) altho there are no safety cars.

Kimi forever!
Date: September 27, 2014 08:19AM
Thanks guys - I´ll give it try
Date: September 27, 2014 12:03PM
Posted by: TGF1DRIVER
Yes, the safety car really destroys a race. GP4 is much better without a safety car, because it's so much fun when the track is blocked by damaged cars and the other cars are crashing into them with high speed! ;)
Date: April 20, 2020 05:13PM
Posted by: livejackass
Great ideas! I will test some.

I have used the following procedure:

In team 11 I put a MOD DTM car, to use as SC.
I put 1200hp and 17000 in the skill of both drivers.
So during the race they far exceed the entire grid, that is the intention. If they put back on every grid better!

In the selection of the pilot I choose the one of my preference and the two from team 11.

I use J during the game to switch between my driver and SC.

When I think it's necessary, I take control of the SC and secure the platoon (it's a big challenge, but with HP Superior it's easy, even avoiding car collisions)

An important data, I leave the CAR DAMAGE at 400% to increase the chances of SC.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2020 11:36PM by livejackass.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy