Alarming news for G1 modding

Posted by SchueyFan 
Alarming news for G1 modding
Date: April 30, 2014 11:17PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
[www.virtualr.net]

Unfortunately, seems like FOM may be following the A1GP path and is starting to crack down on modding. Let's hope that nothing too much comes of this...

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 08:37PM by mortal.
Re: Alarming news for F1 modding
Date: April 30, 2014 11:38PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
(N)
F@#% this, GTFO Bernie or whoever's behind this s#%&

...simply put, these guys are extremely under-appreciative of the exposure that user-created content gives to them. Same thing with the YouTube vids (N)

"I think next F1 should target children building F1 cars out of lego - it's the only logical thing to do."

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 11:40PM by smoglessbutton4.
Date: April 30, 2014 11:39PM
Posted by: mortal
How to reduce exposure and lose fans in the process, seems the right way to go.
Reading between the lines it appears that IRacing has recieved a notice from FOM requesting the removal of such material, how long will it be before we get one? If that happens the site is dead, given that the content here is solely F1 mod related. Legal action would likely be taken to force us to comply.
A Google search for F1 Mods has gp4central on page 5 and this site on page 8. To get all mods removed would be a futile by FOM in my opinion as there are mods all over the place for multiple platforms.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 30, 2014 11:40PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I feel it may be Codemasters who are partly behind it, because they have the most to lose from it, but hard to say.

Considering the exposure the sport and sponsors get from these mods, it is a very disappointing course of action for them to take.

EDIT: Mal, some aspects of the community such as GPG SuperLeague could surely continue, but I guess they would have to be moved to a different forum with this one closed or hidden. Even if the worst comes to being, it would be a shame to lose the entire community, at least if the off topic and f1 boards could continue that would be great.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 11:42PM by SchueyFan.
Date: April 30, 2014 11:43PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reading between the lines it appears that IRacing
> has recieved a notice from FOM requesting the
> removal of such material

WTF?! IRacing have a Williams licence, don't they? Talk about über-pedantic FOM.

I'll go watch the BTCC then, l8tr (Y)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: April 30, 2014 11:50PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Links would have to go, but I can't see how they can dispute topics about F1 modding.

It would simply force the community underground, and sharing would have to be conducted through PMs.

I've been coming here too long to be told what I can and can't use in a 12 year old game by FOM.

Long live GPG.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: April 30, 2014 11:50PM
Posted by: JasonJarvis1988
They've gone officially mad, the lunatics are running the asylum. (N)

I guess money talks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2014 11:56PM by JasonJarvis1988.
Date: April 30, 2014 11:58PM
Posted by: supermonty
It's in keeping with the totalitarism's way and financial's supremacy line of this sport since years and years
Date: May 01, 2014 12:15AM
Posted by: Carlitox
I was about to post this. This is the ultimate (and sorry but I'm truly angry) BULLSHIT. I mean, it was the same thing with Megaupload, say, who cares what I do with a game I bought? I don't work much on GP4, but I bought GP3 almost nine years ago and if I want to edit it and share what I did, it's not a copyright infringement. FYI, if I had the money and a better PC, I would've bought F1 2013 by now, because it's awesome. But sadly I go to university, I can't seem to find a job that suits my schedule and by now I have to do with GP3/GP4/rF/F1C. What's my way of living up-to-date? Modding. And I appreciate every single person who takes time of his life to bring such great works to such old gaming platforms. Damn, I played the entire 2007 season in GP3 in a Pentium II machine when I discovered GPG and I wouldn't have imagined it. That was the work of a person who took the time to elaborate the mod and share it with us. And now they want to forbid us from doing it anymore.

Sure, you say, they are just banning announcements about new F1 Mods in one site (arguably one of the most important) but what if this is only the start? Remember Porsche banned Enduracers from releasing a tremendous rF mod based on the Porsche Supercup. And then what if mods start dissapearing, just as videos on YT, just like videos fans made with their own cameras. Their own content. But just because an engine is heard in the background... BAM! Taken Down! Then other series start doing it, and then modding sites become darker and more hidden. That is not what I want.

I'm not sad. I'm annoyed. Angry. And I hope all modders will work harder than ever to resist. I intend to support and help in what I can.

My two cents have been added.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: May 01, 2014 12:21AM
Posted by: phantaman
shame ... this is ridiculous! suddenly the intention is that (kill formula 1) making the fans abandon they like (modding) (N)

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
Date: May 01, 2014 12:23AM
Posted by: n00binio
Ferrari2007 schrieb:
> Links would have to go, but I can't see how they
> can dispute topics about F1 modding.
>
> It would simply force the community underground,
> and sharing would have to be conducted through
> PMs.
>
> I've been coming here too long to be told what I
> can and can't use in a 12 year old game by FOM.
>
> Long live GPG.

This!
Also I wonder whether it is be possible to modify the forum so that only registered users are able to view posts?

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Re: Alarming news for G1 modding
Date: May 01, 2014 12:43AM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
I can't believe this! What are the gains from doing this? Really?

Bullshit!

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 03:53AM by SkaaningeN.
Date: May 01, 2014 01:09AM
SkaaningeN Wrote:
> I can't believe this! What are the gains from
> doing this? Really?
>
> Bullshit!

It forces us to buy Codies' games and/or any other licensed game. I am among the people who think Codies is behind this.

Date: May 01, 2014 01:33AM
Posted by: Isaint
I too think that codemasters is behind this ....... Money again ... nothing is for free. Certain countries are so desperate for money they need every penny from every avenue. This is forced purchase if we want any F1 content we have to pay for it from the 'Licenced only' providers ...... CODEMASTERS. I personally will never buy a CodeMasters game end of story .
As far as the community is concerned I'm all for going underground. Failing that ..... just have to get F1 out of my blood by buying some 'Beat em Up Games!!'

Indy is always an option ............

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: May 01, 2014 01:50AM
Posted by: Mullet345
That's not good to hear at all. If F1 mods are forced to stop being made,, that would most likely be the end of GP3/4 unless a solution can be made to somehow keep them going. So far which racing organizations have banned mods based on the series that they were running?

One last thing, if it did come to having the mods be stopped, at least they can't do anything about fictional cars, or would that be stopped as well?

Date: May 01, 2014 02:00AM
Posted by: JohnMaverick
n00binio schrieb:
> Also I wonder whether it is be possible to modify
> the forum so that only registered users are able
> to view posts?

What would that bring? Then 'detectives' register at the website and still have full access to the content. As predicted already, the only impact this will have is big and known sites going down and small underground sites coming up, losing a few dedicated modders on the way. The issue for gpgames.org is not GP4 itself. I highly doubt somebody will really make claims based on GP4, since the game would long be dead without all those mods and nobody would make any money out of it any longer. The issue is more that certain businesses, most of all the FOM as the self-claimed shining knight, might claim that the GP4 mods keep people from buying newer games. Which is bullshit. Everybody who is interested in a newer F1 game will buy it, and everybody who isn't happy with Codemasters' work won't buy the next game, totally independent of the availability of mods for GP4. But it might be enough to use the 'backdoor' GP4 copyrights to prevent new mods from being released.

I highly doubt that GP4 mods would really considered being copyright infringements in a lawsuit. But which forum owner is going to take the risk and expenses of a lawsuit if the FOM comes around? It's really a sad day, to see that quality mods, which are often enough far better than the original game, are so much penalized. Such mods should be a spur for game developers to improve their own work. And they should be an honor to the rightholders, because they express interest in the rightholders product. It's not like they are in any way competition direct products of the rightholders. But as always the money is the only drive. It's the same with games we have to buy nowadays only NOT to own it, because as soon as certain servers are shut down, they won't work anymore. Let's wait and see. Often enough the community has successfully fought such attacks. And the FOM will face a huge shitstorm with this. Maybe it's, as often before, just a temporal situation and then it's forgotten again. And if they really try to shutdown this website, then the community will live on somewhere else. Sure, a few dedicated modders might be lost on the way, but all they'll achieve is that the scene goes underground and they fully lose access to it. It was the same with music, it was the same with movies... I wonder when the industry will realize that the more restrictive they are, the worse they make things for everybody, including themselves. They should go and offer jobs to people who make better work alone than their whole design (and sometimes coding) team together. I really don't mind paying (sometimes ridiculous prices) for new and inventive games. But where is the harm if a product which is not improved by a company anymore is improved by others? If all, it will lead to people still buying this game, therefore actually causing an advantage rather than a harm.

GPGSL : Team Owner of 'Maverick Track Performance' (MTP)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 09:45PM by JohnMaverick.
Date: May 01, 2014 02:41AM
Posted by: Excalibur
Communities and free modders keep a game alive, with a reputation and a credibility for the devs to continue to make a suite to their games.
Communities and F1 mods bring also new gamers. It is a showcase and money for the devs.
This new policy rules from the FOM will broke this showcase and will create undergrounds communities where games and mods will be shared only by torrents with no rules at all because there will be no forums administrators, moderators to promote the original game or gamers to encourage to buy the game anymore.

If the GP4 community is still active, that's thanks to gamers and modders ( people who build the tools to make it possible, first, the modders and those who bought the game and used these mods).
How many GP4 copy have been bought thanks to all F1 seasons mods available for free ? And why the original game has still a high value on websites such Amazon, etc... otherwise because it is rare to find and because of the reputation of the game to be flexible in terms of modding?

I don't know if Codemasters is behind this but it is possible regarding that they are the owners of the official F1 licence and that their aim is to sell a game each year with poor improvements.
So, only Money seems important today. The gamers don't have a word to say, just to pay.

Short term profits is their leitmotiv. They don't understand that if more restrictions are put regarding F1's rights, less people will buy the game because it is not allowed to play with mods, updating cars, textures, tracks, helmets, graphics and so on during the season or to play others seasons for F1 fans.

So, these F1 games simulations are not made for f1 fans anymore, only for casual gamers. And communities who keep the game alive and promote the original game will just have to close the doors thanks to these stupid and only mercantile rules.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 02:51AM by Excalibur.
Date: May 01, 2014 03:27AM
Posted by: kerleyf1
This story from put modding underground is bullshit. And I don't think GPG and GP4 mods will end like this on Virtualr.net.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE VISIT: Grand Prix Mods Blog
Date: May 01, 2014 04:31AM
Posted by: SkaaningeN
Isaint Wrote:
> I too think that codemasters is behind this
> ....... Money again ... nothing is for free.
> Certain countries are so desperate for money they
> need every penny from every avenue. This is forced
> purchase if we want any F1 content we have to pay
> for it from the 'Licenced only' providers ......
> CODEMASTERS. I personally will never buy a
> CodeMasters game end of story .
> As far as the community is concerned I'm all for
> going underground. Failing that ..... just have to
> get F1 out of my blood by buying some 'Beat em Up
> Games!!'
>
> Indy is always an option ............

I'll walk aboard your boat Lez, never felt that Codemasters made an F1 game that accually feels like
and F1 game! GP4, and accually F1 Challenge, felt and still feels like real F1 games. Why is that concept left behind?
If they continued on the path that EA Sports and Geoff Crammond did, we would have had much better F1 games today.
There is a reason why we in this community still goes for GP4! GP4 is still a better F1 game than any of the Codemasters ones so far.

If they want/need money, then make a better game!

Im also all for going underground and keep GP4 alive!
As for IndyCar.. to be honest, that series is more impressive than F1 right now in my eyes. Maybe I should start follow it more

-------------------------------------------------
Ice Hockey is my Religion!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2014 03:53AM by SkaaningeN.
Date: May 01, 2014 07:31AM
IndyCar is doing the exact opposite to F1: it's listening to the fanbase. A great example - many people started requesting onboards, and now after each race, we have the In-car Theatre, 20+ freaking minutes of HD onboard. In YouTube. They are also more approachable, give more freedom to the drivers and the fans. And don't even get me started on NASCAR. It might not be the most exciting kind of racing there is, but when it comes to listening to the fans, they are the best.

I would LOVE to see any of those series launching a modding friendly game. Like rFactor, but updatable. F1 would be dead and buried to me and to many of us. Dreaming is free...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy