Track list - cmagic and track wads??

Posted by GP_maniac 
Track list - cmagic and track wads??
Date: April 21, 2014 05:24PM
Posted by: GP_maniac
I just wanted to get some clarification on something.

If you were to adjust the prefix in the cmagic file S1CTxx.

Does that correlate to what .wad file it tries to use, just would like to understand a little more before I play around with the track order.

Thanks
Re: Track list - cmagic and track wads??
Date: April 21, 2014 07:31PM
Date: April 21, 2014 08:01PM
Posted by: SDI
I think you mean the .dat file? The magic data is in gp4.exe (or stored inside the .dat file and read by GPxTrack if CMagic is used). The answer to your question depends on whether you use GPxPatch (GPxTrack), CSM/TSM, or neither.

By default you cannot change the order of the tracks because the .wad names are located in gp4.exe. This means the xx in S1CTxx determines which .wad file is used.

With GPxTrack these limitations are removed, and you can swap any default track to another slot by selecting the .dat files in the GPxTrack GUI in their appropriate slots. To be totally independent of the selected slot, you should also copy all .ini files in gpxpdata\track\gp4\ to the circuits\ folder. That will fix the track selection menu, amongst other things.

CSM/TSM patches the .wad prefix inside gp4.exe, but I recommend using GPxTrack unless you're building a mod.

René Smit, Independent Software Developer.
Download my GPx tools here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2014 08:21PM by SDI.
Date: April 21, 2014 08:01PM
Posted by: TGF1DRIVER
No, not the wad-file, but the dat-file!
Date: April 21, 2014 11:00PM
I use gpxtrack correct.

I was just wandering as all prefixs in the S1CTxx files I believe they are the .dat files they all correlate to a specific name matching a cars.wad in the same folder.

Just not too sure if you can reassign to get certain tracks loaded when you have two wanting to use the same slot
Date: April 21, 2014 11:11PM
Posted by: mortal
Don't bump threads unless it drops off the front page.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 21, 2014 11:22PM
It is allowed to bump own threads which dropped off the front page? :-)
Date: April 22, 2014 11:40AM
Posted by: mortal
Yes of course, but why bump a thread if it's still on the front page? Not everyone is here all the time, just a little bit of patience is required. Not everyone knows everything. Like myself, I really have no idea what I'm talking about.
Back on topic. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: April 22, 2014 12:04PM
Yes and he bumped already after two hours! :-o And I think you have much more idea what you're talking about than I have. ;) Ok, back on topic.
Date: April 22, 2014 07:13PM
On topic: To repeat my previous answer, with GPxTrack you can indeed swap .dat files around to different slots.
You can even use track specific cars.wad files (not sure if you really meant cars.wad), but this is an advanced setting you have to enable (see GPxTrack documentation).

Date: April 23, 2014 01:16AM
I guess the easiest way to explain is that I am trying to figure out.

How could you direct a certain circuit file S1CTxx to a specific wad file.

I am aware that some people have edited the original 2001 wad files to update the tracks, others have created new wads with new file names.

I just unfortunately come across a variety of new tracks that each use the same original wad overwrite but I was trying to find a way to load both, even by renaming one.

Apologies if this is confusing.
Date: April 23, 2014 08:44PM
All .wad names are hardcoded in gp4.exe, so GPxTrack and CSM simply patch these names in memory (GPxTrack) or on disk (CSM).
GPxTrack can find the .wad file based on a so called GP4INFO tag called "prefix". GP4INFO is a list of tag/value pairs that is appended to the end of the .dat file using GP4 Builder or CMagic.

Recently, GPxTrack has been updated to support more ways to find the .wad file. It tries to find a unique .wad file in the same directory as the .dat file and with the same name as the .dat file. The GP4INFO tags can also be specified in a .ini file next to the .dat file now (a TSM .ini file will work too, as it also looks for a "Wad" tag).

Just remember that you can't simply rename a .wad file because the name should be the same as directory names used within the .wad file itself.

Here's the complete order in which the .wad is searched (from GPxTrack documentation):

1. If the prefix is already patched in GP4.EXE (CSM/TSM does this), use it.
2. Find the .wad file specified by the "Wad" tag/setting in the .ini file. If found, this file will be used as the actual track .wad file, and its name is used as the prefix.
3. Use the value of the "prefix" tag.
4. Find a unique .wad file in the same directory as the .dat file. If found, this file will be used as the actual track .wad file, and its name is used as the prefix.
5. Use the default prefix for that slot as defined by GP4, e.g. 'melborne2001' for slot 1.

I hope it is clear now.

PS: I see from the first post that you already mentioned CMagic, but I was confused and thought you were talking about magic data instead of the GP4INFO editor built inside CMagic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2014 08:46PM by SDI.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy