Integrated vs Dedicated Laptop Graphics Issue

Posted by mansell92 
Integrated vs Dedicated Laptop Graphics Issue
Date: November 21, 2013 07:11PM
Posted by: mansell92
Just taken delivery of a nice new laptop - Win8, i7-4700MQ, 8GB RAM and a pretty decent discrete GTX 760M graphics card.

One of the first games to install was GP4. Installed fine and runs with no issues, however it insists on using the integrated HD Graphics 4600 which, whilst surprisingly reasonable, won't compare to what the 760M should be capable of. I have made sure that GP4 is set to use the 760M on the NVIDIA control panel and have even atempted to force GP4 to use it via NVIDIA Inspector by over-riding Optimus. No dice, it always uses the integrated gfx. In game, the GFX settings lists the 4600 as the primary rendering device and is the only option available. Cards.txt in the root directory for GP4 also lists only the integrated graphics.

All other games I have tried are quite happy identifying the 760M where needed - I even tried disabling the onboard gfx in device manager to see what GP4 did, sadly it just used the "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" and that was not a pretty sight :D So, it's quite clear that GP4 has an issue recognising that the 760M even exists. Has anyone else come up against this problem and, if so,what did you do to get it to work (if at all?).

Cheers.
Re: Integrated vs Dedicated Laptop Graphics Issue
Date: November 21, 2013 08:53PM
Posted by: mortal
Two methods to try, disable the integrated 4600 graphics in the BIOS, edit the cards text file to show only the GTX 760M.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 21, 2013 09:19PM
Thanks mortal. It being a brand new laptop and all, I'll leave the BIOS alone at this stage :-) Cards.txt makes no reference to the 760 at all just now, like GP4 just doesn't see it at all - will adding the 760M make any difference?
Date: November 21, 2013 09:24PM
No, it doesn't :( t just ignores it - tried deleting it too to see if it made a new one with the right card.
Date: November 21, 2013 09:33PM
I've seen this issue posted here before, but I cannot remember the solution, or even if there was one. Seems that disabling in the bios might be your only option as trying through windows fails. If you remove the 760M then re-boot, GP4 will have no choice but to use the alternative. Once it finds it and runs ok, then re-enable in the bios and see if GP4 now has multiple choice available.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 21, 2013 09:53PM
Try disabling both graphics cards in Windows and setting the laptop power option to high.

Date: November 23, 2013 10:54AM
Cheers Mortal, I picked up your PM too. I'll scout around and see what can be done, pretty frustrating really because this laptop is running relatively demanding games like Napoleon Total War, F1 2013 and Mafia II beautifully.
Date: November 25, 2013 01:39AM
Posted by: roraimafilho
I'm having this issue too. But mi gfx is GT555. Not so poerfull like yours but better than the integrated one.
Date: November 25, 2013 08:24AM
Let us know if and how you resolve this issue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy