New GP4 Builder 1.841

Posted by Lo2k 
Re: New GP4 Builder 1.841
Date: October 19, 2013 09:43AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Yep, you have to group all the 20 objects. Hopefully you don't have to do that everyday, or do you ? (I'm adding a one click feature on my todo list anyway)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2013 12:02PM by Lo2k.
Date: October 20, 2013 12:31AM
Posted by: TomMK
Because then I would have to separate the parts again for all lower lods which would take a long time. If we could import / export a whole car to .3ds it would avoid using Zmodeler to import / export the cars to .3ds when creating lower lods, which would be nice :)

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: September 17, 2014 07:39AM
Another request from me Laurent! :(

Would you be able to implement the car object rename feature that "GP4 Renamer" does? It makes all the object names shorter so they are compatible with ZModeler. Would be really useful is GP4 Builder did that.

Date: September 17, 2014 07:52AM
Posted by: ColdBlood
Hello Laurent,

If I may, I have a (big?) request for the next version of GP4Builder: Could you able to put Quick Slice/Slice Plane feature which like Zmodeler 3 or 3ds Max?

I somtimes like to divide some polys of old cars so that I can have a better detailed shape and I occasionally use the Sub-divide feature of yours, but it makes too many uneccesary polys...

This is what I am now fooling with mostly and I wish I could vertically slice some faces on that Nose_Cone part.

Race with no fear! - Gilles Villeneuve

Date: September 17, 2014 07:07PM
@TomMK : I didn't know (or forgot) ZM needed some short names. BTW I can't find GP4 Renamer. Could you copy/paste or show a picture of the final list of object names created with this app ?

@ColdBlood : I also added slice on my todo list but I didn't find any easy way to handle it. I can't provide free "hand writing" slicing like 3DS max does so I would need to find another thing but so far I didn't find anything better than the fractal 1 tri becoming 4 tris.

Date: September 17, 2014 07:26PM
Posted by: Excalibur
Here is GP4Renamer: [www.mediafire.com]

BTW, car objects into Zmodeler don't need short names. It is just necessary before to export into 3DS to make the lower lods.
The only problem with gp4renamer is that it doesn't rename back correctly the left_mirror and right_mirror objects so you have to rename them manually into GP4builder before to sort car objects (for lod_0 only).

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date: September 17, 2014 08:38PM
@Excalibur : Thanks for the share. Hmm, I remind .3ds texture have to respect the 8.3 naming, but I didn't remind it had some object name max length too... and after GP4renamer, some object still have 16 chars.

Date: September 17, 2014 09:28PM
Posted by: Excalibur
Yes, it is strange.
Once Auto renamed with GP4renamer and imported into Zmodeler, some objects keep until 17 chars.
cockpit
engine
f_l_brakeglow
f_r_brakeglow
left_barge_board
l_f_fin
l_f_suspension
l_f_wing
l_r_fin
l_r_suspension
left_sidepod
lower_rear_wing
nose_cone
r_l_brakeglow
r_r_brakeglow
rear_light_on
right_barge_board
r_f_fin
r_f_suspension
r_f_wing
r_r_fin
r_r_suspension
right_sidepods
upper_rear_wing
insert
left_mirror
right_mirror
visor

When exported from Zmod to 3ds format: objects names are truncatinated until 10 chars max. (the first ten)

when back into Zmod and exported into gp4 format and auto renamed 2 with gp4renamer, all the objects original names are correct (excepted for right and left mirrors 'z_cockpit_' have to be added manually).

I think that diego just started from the truncatinated names when exported into 3ds format to make his program from GP4 to 3ds and back from 3Ds to GP4. But it works also on with helmets, wheels etc.. objects, too...

That saved a lot of time for lower lods. Before that, I used to rename each object manually for each lod. From 45 minutes to make only one lod, it takes about 30 minutes to make the ten lods for the cars, now. One of my favourite program which kept my patience safe to continue to make cars! ;)

I don't know if it is possible but it would be great if GP4Builder could integrate GP4renamer or a similar feature.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2014 09:34PM by Excalibur.
Date: September 18, 2014 04:22AM
wikipedia page about .3ds
- All texture filenames are limited to the 8.3 DOS format.
- Object, light and camera names are limited to 10 characters.

For car builders and mod builders it would be really great if we could remove GP4Renamer and ZModeler from the process of creating lower lods. So if GP4Builder could:

1) Rename all object names to 10 chars
2) Export the whole car to a single 3ds file (with a warning if any texture names are longer than 8.3 chars)

3) Import a 3ds car object
4) Rename all 10 char object names to their full gp4 object names

It would make lower lods super easy to create (Y)

This scheme could be used for car object names:

cockpit                    cockpit
engine                     engine
f_l_brakeglow              f_l_brake
f_r_brakeglow              f_r_brake
left_barge_board           l_barge
left_front_fin             l_fin
left_front_suspension      l_f_susp
left_front_wing            l_f_wing
left_rear_fin              l_r_fin
left_rear_suspension       l_r_susp
left_sidepod               l_sidepod
lower_rear_wing            lower_rear
nosecone                   nosecone
r_l_brakeglow              r_l_brake
r_r_brakeglow              r_r_brake
rear_light_on              rear_light
right_barge_board          r_barge
right_front_fin            r_fin
right_front_suspension     r_f_susp
right_front_wing           r_f_wing
right_rear_fin             r_r_fin
right_rear_suspension      r_r_susp
right_sidepod              r_sidepod
upper_rear_wing            upper_rear
z_cockpit_insert           z_insert
z_cockpit_left_mirror      z_l_mirror
z_cockpit_right_mirror     z_r_mirror
z_cockpit_visor            z_visor

Date: September 18, 2014 06:12PM
Thanks for the insights.

The short name scheme suits me fine.
I will see what I can do from here :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy