DirectX 8.1

Posted by SamGlory986 
DirectX 8.1
Date: June 16, 2012 01:19PM
Posted by: SamGlory986
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and a big fan of GP ... but I've never played GP4 yet.
Used to play F1GP a lot (really, a lot), and I liked F1GP2 very much as well, but never had a computer that matched the requirements for that game.

Since then a lot of time has passed, and now I'm trying GP4 on my Windows 7 64-bit, but it does not work!
He says I need to install DirectX 8.1, while I have DirectX11 (and also a card that supports that).

Installing DirectX 8.1 (from the GP4 CD) does not seem to work, as it seems to install in less than 1 second, then says it is OK, but when you startup the game it says DirectX 8.1 not available.

Obviously, the presence of DirectX11 is preventing a normal DirectX8 installation ... but, how do you fix this issue ? I guess backwards compatibility of DirectX is a myth.

I have the same problem for GP3 by the way (which asks for DirectX 7 I think), but this behaves exactly the same.

F1GP and F1GP2 work though (in DOS emulated mode that is).

Thanks
Re: DirectX 8.1
Date: June 16, 2012 04:14PM
Posted by: mansell92
GP4 will work fine on Win 7 64 if you replace the original exe with the 1.02 No-CD version, which can be found here -http://www.grandprixgames.org/read.php?28,670623

DirectX isn't a problem, it only took a second because the installer recognised you had a more advanced version and didn't proceed.

GP3, I think you will find, is a lost cause on Win 7 64 unfortunately.
Date: June 16, 2012 08:49PM
mansell92 Schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> GP4 will work fine on Win 7 64 if you replace the
> original exe with the 1.02 No-CD version, which
> can be found here
> -[www.grandprixgames.org]
>
> DirectX isn't a problem, it only took a second
> because the installer recognised you had a more
> advanced version and didn't proceed.

That just worked perfectly
Thanks man!
Date: June 17, 2012 02:24PM
I've installed the official patch, and then it also works (starting from a clean GP4.exe that is)

That way, I also don't have any white cars ;)
Date: June 17, 2012 04:24PM
Posted by: mansell92
Well, yes, I ought to have told you to install the patch first, of course :-) My bad.
Date: June 17, 2012 07:48PM
Well, there may also be an additional thing, being that I installed the GPx patch (at some point).

How do you check the version of the GP4.exe file itself, by the way ?

If I start messing with the decrypted GP4.exe, how do I know what version that is ?
Date: June 18, 2012 12:21AM
Posted by: gitanes
you can tell by the size of the exe:

original GP4.exe (original CD) = 7.2 MB
original GP4.exe (v 9.6 patch) = 6.6 MB
no CD GP4.exe (decrypted) = 5.9 MB

My personal GP4 files at : www.4shared.com ______ My Blog at : Gitanes GP4 work

* Performance Files * LoadingScreens GoogleMaps * GP4 Tracks and Cars Databases
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy