Atticus' Workthread - [RE-RELEASED] Updated Road Atlanta (1997) Beta - All Links on p. 1

Posted by Atticus. 
@thestig88, @Turbo Lover, @Meteoro405, @tojepo, @rookie26: Thank you to all of you, guys, I'm glad it became a fine track. It's very good to race on.

Here's one final quote on it that I like very much. It's from a Car And Driver feature on America's Best Road Courses.

"It's classic, it's fast, it has a really great rhythm once you get in the groove. It feels very contained - almost like running in a tunnel sometimes - but I like that."

Moving on from The Glen, I'm doing the final checks on Monza Historic - which I wrote about here. I did not do it in a week, most of it was done more than a year ago, although it did need a lot of finetuning, especially at Lesmo 2. (After finding out that the old, now green, tarmac patch on the inside of the current corner actually delineated the old, quicker corner and could thus serve as a great point of reference.) Other works included minor width changes, camber changes at Lesmo 1 and 2, bank height corrections, new CC-line, new track cams, magic data and every really minor detail.

And that's just what I did in the past seven days - compared to Monza 1969, it's completely new, including new, correct corner radii, based on old official data, fitting elevations (it's minor, but seems significant from the low trackside cameras), etc.

I'll post a preview soon and I plan to release it in the upcoming days.

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
Here you go, guys, a short preview video for Monza Historic, the 1955-1971 chicane-free Monza layout - in modern environment, like Imola, Monaco and Hockenheim.

Considering it's a roughly 90% full throttle lap, it's pretty boring on a single car run, so I recorded a 3-lap quickrace instead.

As I said, it's completely new compared to Monza 1969. There's an onboard lap included as well.

Enjoy!

hothot

I LIKE!!!!

Mods & Tracks for GP4 - [www.mediafire.com]

Keeping alive the GP4
+2

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Here it comes - Monza Historic, the Temple of Speed as it was meant to be.

As I said, it's like Imola, Monaco and Hockenheim w/no Chicanes in that it uses the original game graphics and I set the historic layout in that graphics.

It's different from Monza 1969 by drt01 & me in that this one uses actual historical data and additional video and photo evidence as to where the original track laid and how best to rebuild it.

My main source of corner data was this engineering image from 1965:

It's not to scale in terms of drawing (e. g. at Curva Grande), but I found that is very much is in terms of corner radius.

I then found this cca. 2012 image from the inside of the current Lesmo 2 and cross-checking it with the 1993 Italian GP footage, the last year of the old Lesmo 2, I found that it is the concrete patch that lined the inside shoulder of the corner back then. This formed the basis of the re-realignment of Lesmo 2.

[i50.tinypic.com]

These are the main changes, but of course, there were numerous little things that I revised during the last two weeks. (And some beforehand: like the realignment of the short chute between Roggia and Lesmo 1; it was parallel to the inside wall, and not listing towards it as it is nowadays. This is also evident by watching the 1993 race carefully.)

As for a track guide of the old Monza, let's resort to the words of Howden Ganley who finished 5th in that world famous slipstream battle of the 1971 Italian GP.

"You only lifted off twice a lap - you went down past the start line and around Curva Grande, flat-out all the way to first Lesmo, and you go down two gears and then it was flat-out all the way back up to the other end at Parabolica."

That's it! It's much more difficult in heavy traffic, of course, and so I encourage you to do just that and go racing.

DOWNLOAD LINK: [www.mediafire.com]

Enjoy it and have fun, guys. :-)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2016 02:35PM by Atticus..
Thanks mate!!!!!

Keeping alive the GP4
Thank you again! but anyone else getting a CTD just as the loading bar finishes before going to the session? track loads ok with an original Monza .wad (albeit actual layout doesn't follow textures), so possible issue with wad, have re-downloaded and retried to no avail.
my personal historic/modern version of Monza..;)

-------------- My GP4 Tracks --------------

F1 Tracks , Oval Tracks, Other Tracks
@thestig88: Will check ASAP.

@drt01: Wow, not bad either! :-O

@thestig88: It works for me. (Downloaded my own upload and used those files, just in case.)

To be honest, I have no idea what the issue could be. Would you post a GPxPatch log in case someone might notice something?

Anyone else having CTD with Monza Historic as the loading bar gets full?

thank you very much :)
+1

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Nice track!

Thank you very much!!

Keeping alive the GP4
As it's the weekend of the Macau Grand Prix, the Guia Circuit duly became my most popular track, overtaking Brands Hatch GP - if the MediaFire download counters are anything to go by!

I myself almost don't dare booting it lest I find something in the .dat I can improve, lol.

I do remember just how few laps I did on it where I absolutely avoided all the walls, however! "Monaco on steroids," as Daniel Ricciardo put it.

EDIT: Nope, I horribly misjudged something here, Macau is still far away.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2016 12:39PM by Atticus..
Yeah drt01 is back! I love your version of Monza! :-)(Y)
Hi guys,

As some of you might have read about it in the latest Suzuka topic, I was working on and off on the real original Suzuka for the last couple of months now - one which features the original Turn 1 and Spoon corners and not just the no chicane and original Degner options. (As it turned out, even the curving 'straight' connecting the hairpin and Spoon was relocated over the years...)

I am now quite happy with what I have and the project is nearing completion - it is going to be in the mould of Imola Classic, Monaco Historic, Hockenheim no Chicane and Monza Historic in that it is going to be set in the original 2001 3D environment with the new-old parts integrated more or less seamlessly.

That's it for now.

Great Atticus (Y)! Thanks for your work :-)!

I had a look into the link showing all the track changes in Suzuka over the years. As a result, I think the track operators/owners of Suzuka are the only ones of all modern F1-circuits trying to protect their circuit. On all other courses over the last 10 or 20 years we saw several reconstructions making it even worse (e.g. Barcelona, Silverstone, Spa, Nürburgring) or destroying the curcuit even completely (e.g. Hockenheim). Of course, I'd also wish old Casio triangle and old 130R back, but in general Suzuka developed quite good over the last years compared to other f1-tracks.
klausfeldmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great Atticus (Y)! Thanks for your work :-)!
>
> I had a look into the link showing all the track
> changes in Suzuka over the years. As a result, I
> think the track operators/owners of Suzuka are the
> only ones of all modern F1-circuits trying to
> protect their circuit. On all other courses over
> the last 10 or 20 years we saw several
> reconstructions making it even worse (e.g.
> Barcelona, Silverstone, Spa, Nürburgring) or
> destroying the curcuit even completely (e.g.
> Hockenheim). Of course, I'd also wish old Casio
> triangle and old 130R back, but in general Suzuka
> developed quite good over the last years compared
> to other f1-tracks.

Thank you. :-)

I absolutely agree with this, that was exactly my impression as well. There as such nuances in the modified Suzuka corners, radius, camber, both, etc. that very strongly suggest that the owners were keen to preserve as much of the original challenge as possible - which is highly unusual for circuit owners, not only present ones, but previous ones as well, as you rightly pointed out. (Though I would argue a bit about Spa.)

Overall, I can only echo this sentiment and it is great to see such attention from the track owners as to how their circuit should be developed.

Of all the original GP4 circuits I have restored to their original layouts, this is the one where I feel like my work is the most 'pointless'. It isn't, of course, but I can totally see where those who prefer the newer Suzuka layouts are coming from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2016 04:46PM by Atticus..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy