Atticus' Workthread - [RE-RELEASED] Updated Road Atlanta (1997) Beta - All Links on p. 1

Posted by Atticus. 
tojepo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (Y) Thanks Atticus !
>
> Great Job on DAT Track

Haha, I see what you did there. :D

Thank you. :-)

My workthread - [www.grandprixgames.org]
Full of classic F1/non-F1 track layouts

My blog about F1 performance analysis - [thef1formbook.wordpress.com]
When do you release a complete version of Rouen? :)(Y)
TGF1DRIVER Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When do you release a complete version of Rouen?
> :)(Y)

I know this might be quite disheartening, but I mark my tracks as betas purely because they are unfinished work environment-wise - not because I wish to complete them in this respect, at least not in the foreseeable future.

I'm simply not interested in putting building around and stuff - I do occasionally ask someone if he or she wishes to work on my tracks in this regard, I'm happy if these projects come to fruition. Working with drt01 on the old Spa, Monza, etc. was fun, for example, although I often postpone asking for 3D because I never really nail a DAT at first - Oulton Park is a good example of that, I found so many little things to improve on, even if they're not very noticeable to the naked eye.

So, all in all, I don't really plan on releasing a full Rouen soon, but you can always work on it, if you want to - you have my permission.

Well, I just need to add some signs for breaking point orientation there, especially in the first corner, cause I never got it right! :-( And you are absolutely right, who needs buildings around the track, the most important thing is that you can drive on it! :-)(Y)
OK, the Oulton Park update is up, the link is on the first page as usual.

I think this was the classic case of 'much ado for nothing.' I reworked a lot of the elevations, some cameras, the whole CC-line, but I don't really think most of you guys will notice any difference.

Anyway, here it is and now it has some seriously raw feel to those infamous undulations - it's not as basic as the previous version was, almost every drop and rise now has a unique feel to it, it really mirrors the real thing now.

Enjoy and have fun with it.

P.S.: I've read so many amusing quotes about it during the research phase, the two best of which came from online sim racer Empty Box. He said the track is really not that popular on iRacing, because it is so darn difficult and later on he exclaims whether the designers could've found any more undulating surface for the circuit.

On the difficulty:
- Turn 1 (Old Hall): blind entry, late turn in, compression at the apex, crest on exit.
(- Turn 2 (Dentons): this is just a flat-out right kink, but it's hiding entirely behind a small brow, you can't see it at all.)
- Turn 3 (Cascades): early turn in, off-camber entry, late apex.
- Turn 5 (Shell Oils Hairpin): the most banked corner in Great Britain at 11°, trailbraking during early turn in.
- Turn 6 (Knickerbrook): fastest corner, off-camber, high inside kerb, blind exit.
- Turn 9 (Druids): late turn in, double apex, blind exit, crest on exit.
- Turn 10 (Lodge): late turn in, compression at the apex, blind exit, crest on exit.

Could you make a beta-version of Rouen which the newer chicane after the start-/finish-straight please? :-)(Y)
Well, that shouldn't be too hard to do, so, yes, I'll check back to you with it some time during this or next week (via PM).

Stonking layout! Thanks again Atticus!
TGF1DRIVER, check your PMs.

Atticus, can I ask if you or someone could update the trackside cameras at Monza 1969?

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Hi guys,

Been quiet lately.

Not really on the CC-line project, although I haven't forgotten it and the A1-Ring, the Hungaroring, Spa, Monza, etc. will surely follow.

I started some more work on the elevations of Sears Point back in June when NASCAR visited Sonoma, but it was so wicked that I left it at that half-done - I got too frustrated.

I did finish that elevation job this last few days and will update the link soon. I know I say this every time, but now I really think it mirrors the real thing and it's really really accurate. Now I'm flirting with the idea of an accurate Laguna Seca - neither of the two versions out there are quite punctual when it comes to elevation changes and camber.

@TomMK: I will look into the Monza cams, although I must ask what version do you want, because I obviously set the 1969 cameras for it initially - of course they don't cover the whole track.

That's it for now, have a fun Monza weekend, guys.

Cheers,

Atticus

Big changes to the topic.

See first post.

A shame tbh, I loved your introductions of the classic tracks. :)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
P.S.: The Sears Point link is working now.

Tintops just decided the fate of the 2015 BTCC title at Brands Hatch on the Grand Prix circuit, so what better time to re-release an updated version of the GP layout itself for GP4.

The update - as you may have guessed - involves once again redrawing the elevation profile besides a new CC-line, some changes to magic data, track cams, etc. A lot of subtle stuff.

Indy layout should follow in the future, perhaps by the time of the 2016 BTCC season opener there, but I'll still have to port the myriad little changes to that track, those that I've implemented for the parts in common with the GP layout.

Once again, I don't want to return to these tracks ever, so I really have to take care that everything is in order and is as accurate as possible at last before I re-release that one as well.

Have fun guys.

It's quite silly, but the beta track links were still messed up somehow - I do believe they are fixed now, so Sears Point should finally be available.

In the meantime, I'm working on making the old Hermanos Rodriguez circuit feel and look right - once again, most of the stuff is quite subtle, but it includes minor layout corrections, a lot of bank and verge revisions, a new CC-line, cameras, so almost everything changes (but only subtly).

Someone (Davide?) really needs to make the 3D environment for Brands Hatch, it would be so good to have that track finished.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Thank you. :-)

Yes, as I've said earlier on I'm happy if someone uses these .dats as a base for a full-fledged track.

I don't know if it's an issue (it probably is) but the fact that I seem to just continuously rework my files may discourage people to do so, to build their own track upon the frames. It may easily suggest that any given current version is just not the final, 100% accurate one.

Davide actually did Watkins Glen a while ago and he did it admirably, it's a fantastic work graphically, but I did provide him with a .dat that was simply not right - I re-did it TWICE since then (the second was this summer), but it's too little too late and Davide himself admitted it would be too much to ask for a complete re-do of the graphical parts.

In light of that story, I don't know how much of a trust there is towards me when I say that the versions of Brands Hatch, VIR, Sears Point and Oulton Park that are up there are now definitive. I guess it would take a huge leap of faith to believe that. (But of course I say so. : P)

Still, if anybody in the future uses these as a base - whether for GP4 or, to be honest, for other games as the layout data should be the same - I will be content.

OK, so here's the Hermanos Rodriguez update I've been working on for about two weeks now.

It always looked unique with those wide asphalt verges which were not included in the main track in the 1960s & 1970s, but it looks even more weird now (but in a positive way) with basically grass covering most of the walls - in real life it had low earth banks signalling the end of the precious little run-off areas. Intriguingly, when this track was built - in 1959, contrary to popular belief it wasn't 1962 or 1963, those were the years of the first non-championship and championship Mexican GPs respectively - they had very different ideas about run-off in general. There's literally no space on the outside of the corners, exactly where it would be most needed. They were lined with black-and-white Armco.

Driving-wise, the most visible change is the camber in the corners - for some reason, I omitted them when I first released this track; it was practically an afterthought back then. But I also used the newly-released elevation profile of the circuit on Formula1.com (aside from a dozen or so videos and pictures) to build what little elevation there is on the track.

I have to say building an old circuit, one which doesn't exist anymore, is painstaking work indeed, just as Prblanco and other F1Virtual guys said when they reacted to their survey results (although I did have the maps of most of the pre-2015 layout this time, I 'only' had to dig deep for Turn 1, the hairpin section, the old Peraltada and the pits). It's very very hard to make the .dat as precise as for current tracks - but I made no compromise practically, so comparing this layout with any videos you dig up from the late 1960s, you'll see next to no difference. I do believe this track is more accurate than a lot of others (current ones) are in other games.

Couple of other things from the changelog:
- Reworked kerbs, banks, verge details, cambers and elevations.
- Modified track cams and new CC-line.
- Complete magic data with baseline setups and fuel strategies (taking into account the nature of the track).
- Basic jip mapping to draw up a grid and the finish line below the place of the old control tower (pit entry). This should also make its way into Brands Hatch and Oulton Park in the near future as well - Sears Point and the VIR had no grid at the time of modeling while Imola and Monaco retained theirs during my modifications.

Have fun driving this now almost completely lost layout of the ages.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2015 02:47PM by Atticus..
Thanks mate, it's a big shame that the modern track doesn't have challenging corners anymore. Maybe the most soulless Tilke track.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy