> looking like a good season. :)
>
> Good to see RBR can keep up with McLaren in the
> race too. If the season plays out as this weekend
> did, and McLaren have the qualifying edge and RBR
> can keep their tyres in check a touch longer, it's
> looking like a great recipe for some classic
> races.

Yep. I think we're definitely going to see just how good Vettel is this season(And on the strength of Melbourne alone, it looks like he'll more than live up to the reputation he's made himself while in the best car). It'll be a dream scenario if the McLarens stay just a bit quicker than the RedBulls all season.
And in the meantime I'm hoping there's some adverse weather conditions at said Tilke tracks which can make up for their shortcomings.

But the thing I couldn't help noticing is how Jenson genuinely seems to be the superior race driver at McLaren now, regardless of the circumstances or weather conditions. It's been claimed so much in the past that Jenson couldn't match Lewis for raw speed in a straight fight, and that had been true, but in Melbourne the opposite was the case.

Re: 2012 Australian GP Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: March 20, 2012 01:24PM
Posted by: elemental
I'll take a stab at why Hamilton looked like he was about to cry. I reckon that after last year, he probably put all of the blame for his lacklustre season on his head being elsewhere and the breakup and whatever else. He probably thought something along the lines of "I'm the better driver - Jenson just got lucky because I had @#$%& going on, so I'll fix what's wrong out of the car and then naturally I'll beat him again". Then JB simply outraces Hamilton on pure speed alone and there's suddenly nothing to blame anymore. Maybe it's dawning on him how good Jenson really is. Whatever the case, I hope he grows up sometime soon because these post-race tantrums are a bit embarrassing (as was the post-melbourne disqualification apology session. Wow).
Date: March 20, 2012 04:24PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
aonso is the fastest, lewis was equal to him in 2007. he just has to dig deep and see what's changed since this 2007 form of his.
Date: March 20, 2012 04:27PM
Posted by: EC83
elemental Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Whatever the case, I hope he grows up sometime
> soon because these post-race tantrums are a bit
> embarrassing (as was the post-melbourne
> disqualification apology session. Wow).

Yep, true, LOL.

I'm massively impressed with Jenson's growth and development as a driver. I think there's very few drivers at the top level who've progressed as much and as noticeably as he has. He's reminding me of Nigel Mansell in that respect.

mitadumapaga Wrote:
> aonso is the fastest, lewis was equal to him in
> 2007.

Yeah, but remember the whole Ron Dennis favouritism thing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2012 04:32PM by EC83.
Date: March 20, 2012 05:40PM
Posted by: J i m
Button has been a bit of a late bloomer in that respect... but luckily for him whilst he was going through that stage of the immature pop star lifestyle he didn't have a car truly capable of winning. At it's best he had a podium car but he it resulted in the media at large ignoring him and so he could do most of his growing up away from the top spot-light. And in that respect he's served a longer f1 aprentership than the drivers who can now be considerd as his rivals.. Vettle, Alonso & Hamilton.

When he finally got his hands on a winning car he was able to take advantage of it... 6 wins in 8 races and that championship really pumped up his confidence which has allowed him to prosper at Mclaren.

But it took 9 years for button to get a winning car when by contrast Hamilton had one from day 1 and he's been spoilt by that. I remember thinking that 2009 was actually good for him because it gave him the experience of not having a car in which he could challenge.. But Mclaren responded magnificently and developed that car into a winner and Hamilton ended not really learning anything at all.

The past 3 years I've come to think of Button - Hamilton as Prost & Senna at Mclaren. Hamilton the Senna with prodigious talent that on ocassion should completely humiliate Prost. And Button as the Prost with experience, intelligence and above all confidence enough to focus his strong points to beat Senna's weak points.

It's very much like the tortoise & the hare. The hare has the speed and pomp but the tortoise has the gameplay to win.

Date: March 20, 2012 06:44PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Hamilton needs a season at a team lower down the pecking order to get an appreciation of how tough life is at the back. McLaren could put him in a Marussia for a while, perhaps giving him the grounding that he really needs. (hypothetically, this could be a straight swap with Glock, who we'd get to see in a front-end car)

Then he'd realise how lucky he is, he's one of 24 men in the whole world who gets to race these cars and still complains about a 3rd place.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 20, 2012 06:52PM
Posted by: danm
Interesting, I just picked up a new bookcase for my office/basement and began to put out my old F1 Racing magazines that I refused to throw out.

For the very reason I kept them, they are quite interesting to this day!

Just flicked though an article on Jenson signing the 5 year BAR deal out of his pocket from 2006, and comments from every driver/boss in the paddock on what they thought of the Williams-gate saga.

Turned out to be a very good move, as we know, and patience does pay off. With some luck, too.

A lot of people forget that. £30million from his own pocket went into getting out of the Williams deal. My god, he looks stupidly young too, with that silly mullet hairdo.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 20, 2012 08:32PM
Posted by: EC83
Personally I think that if Prost and Piquet had ever been teammates, then the Button/Hamilton partnership would've resembled them rather than Prost/Senna. I see where you're coming from, and Jenson does resemble Prost to an extent, but Lewis resembles Piquet, not Senna.

Date: March 20, 2012 09:08PM
Posted by: Isaint
To be Honest I think the comparison is more like what Hamilton did to Alonso but with more finesse. I could never mention Hamilton in a comparable to Senna simply because Senna was fast, technical and highly intelligent.
Whereas, Hamilton is just fast ... but so are many drivers on the grid and that is where the problem lies. Being fast is quiet simply not enough and it's for this reason I predicted that this would befall Hamilton when he first appeared on the scene being hailed as the new messiah of motor sport.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: March 20, 2012 09:12PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Hamilton's, if anything, the new Jacques Villeneuve...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 20, 2012 09:17PM
Posted by: chet
pffft. And there was a time people doubted Button!

:D

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 20, 2012 09:26PM
Slash Wrote:
> as far as i knew it was 3 kg per race
>
> and the second question, absolutely...
>
> i've driven some races in gokarts and i'm not
> professional but yoy feel the gforces, even as
> minimum as they are, to exhaust you..
>
> in a F1 car, the gforces are extreme, not only
> that but they experience them for more than
> 300kms, add to that the focus and the
> concentration they need to keep the car inside the
> whitelines add to that the other cars they need to
> compete and managing the whole tyre-engine thing..
> so besides being a physycal exhausting sport is
> probably more demanding mentaly than anything
> else
>
> someone once said that an F1 driver could hold 14
> rounds of boxing and probably more.. tbh i don't
> consider that to be crazy, they probably could.
>
> remember these guys spend 4hrs daily on the gym
> just to hold the geforces of driving the car
>
> ps: i remember back in early 00's some drivers
> from CART series and IRL tested F1 cars and they
> all commented on how exhausting they where after 4
> laps iirc Dixon was one of them, and these guys
> are professional racing drivers, Castroneves,
> Franchitti, they all said the same... imagine
> being a professional driver and thinking you're
> fit enough as they probably are and all of a
> sudden you try an F1 car and after 4 laps you have
> to stop because you can't hold it anymore?..
> that's crazy

Trust me I'm an ex-boxer and they would not. Boxing is a totally different discipline. Some boxers do 6 times the road work and twice as much time as an F1 driver in the gym but come the fight; they still end up blowing through their gum shields. You could take the fittest guy you know into a sparring session and he’d be blown after one round. No balance sixteen ounce gloves on your toes eating jabs and right crosses, body shots that would fold you in half, uppercuts that lift you off your feet not to mention hooks that would de-cappitate the head off the thickest neck, all that for three minutes ... believe me you'd want your mom after just one round.

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2012 09:33PM by Isaint.
Date: March 20, 2012 10:35PM
Posted by: FRESCO
I really don't understand the tantrum comments tbh (not just on this forum but others), I think I myself would look pretty glum if I had qualified on pole and ended up finishing third and being beaten by my teammate.

Its not like he got out of his car and threw his steering wheel away and refused to sake Jenson's hand is it? Now that would be a tantrum.

Date: March 20, 2012 11:06PM
i agree with you, FRESCO. indeed being third is a bad result. especially when he s got so much to proove.
Date: March 20, 2012 11:33PM
Posted by: Slash
cheers isaint, though i think the best thing would be to put an f1 driver and a boxer on a trhiathlon and see who gets farer

anyways this video got me pumped..

Michael pushing good and looking awesomely confident

Date: March 21, 2012 12:17AM
Remember Although F1 drivers spend time in the gym they are still basically training to sit down for 2hours. Boxers train to be on their feet, to absorb more pain and to dispel allot more energy. Their whole programme is strength and cardio vascular; it wouldn't be a fair contest.;-)
@ B.T.W Great Schumie Vid. The car looks so responsive and light, great to see the man in a car that he can push with once again..... roll on Sepang can't wait.(Y)

Member of R.S.C.T Group

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 12:35AM by Isaint.
Date: March 21, 2012 11:21AM
still, schuey made a mistake worth approximatelly .1 - .2 of a second in the last corner.
Date: March 22, 2012 04:06PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
chet Wrote:
> 1) I at least get some sort of lady action.
> 2) It is the best night out, EVER.
> 3) Jenson wins and I manage to stay away from the
> results until late Sunday when I can watch
> 4) Kimi wins and I manage to stay away from the
> results until late Sunday when I can watch
> 5) Senna wins and reveal Williams actually have a
> rocket ship, and I stay away from the results till
> Sunday ;)
>
> Any of options 1 or 2, combined with either one of
> 3, 4, or 5 must happen!

Well you got option 3, and half of 5 (the Williams is pretty fast, albeit not in Senna's hands yet), how did the rest of your night go? ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 23, 2012 05:02PM
Posted by: chet
The fact that I kept away from the result for about 16 hours was the best thing to happen all weekend, so ill leave it at that ;)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 24, 2012 04:10AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy