2012 Australian GP Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by Incident 2k9 
Re: 2012 Australian GP Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: March 18, 2012 10:57AM
Posted by: RenaultFan
I agree with you Lez about Lewis always having that about to cry look on his face, just looks like a rainy face sulk.

I had a feeling that Maldonado was going to mess it up, a shame as it would have been nice to see Williams pick up some points right out of the gate.
Date: March 18, 2012 01:57PM
Posted by: ralv585
Good race :)

Kimi did a good job, so i'm happy with 7th!

Massa is a shambles, they need someone else asap.

Date: March 18, 2012 02:26PM
Posted by: J i m
Kovalainen has been handed A five place grid penalty for Sepang because he overtook before the first safety car line in that confusion that was letting lapped cars file through the pack during the caution period.

Yup, Good stuff by Kimi... Not quite Suzuka 2005 form but I was right in saying that we shouldn't have written him off after qualifying and overtaking Massa's Ferrari the team who paid him not to race for them must have felt good. Incidentally Massa admitted that he "completely failed" with the balance of his car all weekend. I vote Perez for his replacement he's basically their most advanced protege. He did another one stop special today and had emense pace once he took on fresh tyres. Yet... The BBC have a driver loitering about who'd appreciate a chance.. Jamie Alguersauri.

I also should probably retract my rather harsh statements regarding Maldonaldo & Senna. Despite his rather clumsy pass on Grosjean, and later a gravel excursion Maldnaldo put in a spirited drive, and he put in maximum effort right up until, during and after his last lap crash which looked like a very small error with a wheel on the grass... He's not the only driver to have lost it by putting a wheel on the grass this weekend, he just paid a rather more expensive cost for it.

Replays showed that Senna got partially airborne in the 1st corner mayhem so it's possible he sustained some damage which might have affected his pace, although this hasn't been suggested in their press releases it would explain why he was significantly slower than Maldonaldo to an extent. His ding dong with Massa was deemed a racing incident, and having viewed the replay I believe it to be an accident with no fault to either party. Indeed if either of their moves come of, they would have been impressive.

Greatly encouraged by the form of the Williams, but should temper this optimism by remembering that Barrichello enjoyed a feisty race here in the FW33 and it then it was steeply downhill from there. I hope the FW34 proves Melbourne wasn't freak form.

Date: March 18, 2012 02:34PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Maldonado did a bloody good job though, was hustling Alonso for a fair bit until he had that fatal clip of the grass. If the drivers find a little more consistency, there's no reason why Williams can't challenge Lotus and Merc.

Button marched away with it today, shows he can really race when it's dry as well. The Sauber boys were very good again, and there's definitely a tight midfield this year too. Mercedes are going to be gutted with today's result.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 18, 2012 02:52PM
Yes... But in brutal honesty we should have saw Mercedes dissapointment coming because all through testing it was showing up issues with tyre degregation. Don't get me wrong it's a beautifully handling car, very quick over a single lap and Schumacher seems to revel in it but all that amounts to nothing if if can't make the tyres last.

At one point when briefly both Ferraris were being hounded by a Williams I was trying to decide wether is was a epic fail for Ferrari or an astonishingly epic win for Williams. I suspect a bit of both.

The midfield is very definitely tight.. I think it will ebb and flow throughout the year.. Each race could see a different mid-field team chasing Mercedes and Lotus.

Button came up trumps again. I think he's basically in his prime and nearing or at his peak and he's using his experience to brilliant effect over Hamilton. Hamilton was downcast afterwards because basically he knows that he drove very well, didn't make any mistakes and yet was beaten by Button. The SC may have helpd Vettel leapfrog him.. But the factors which put Hamilton behind him weren't soley his doing.

Agreed about Sauber. Very encouraging stuff for them, watch out for Perez especially I think he is Massa's heir apparent at Ferrari.

Date: March 18, 2012 03:08PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga

this guy asks the dumbest questions ever !! "sum up your feelings about the win". WTF ! there were so many more questions to ask, and better to
Date: March 18, 2012 03:18PM
btw, is this special f duct system by merc. gonna be even more helpful in qualy in malaysia. i am thinking of putting some money on nico for pole

and a second question. i missed the first 10 laps. How fast did vettel got past rosberg, and did he find it more difficult to overtake michael ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 03:27PM by mitadumapaga.
Date: March 18, 2012 03:36PM
Vettel got past Rosberg on lap 2 I think, but quickly and without the aid of DRS. He got crossed up in Schumacher's turbulence in turn 1 and took a quick trip across the AstroTurf but held off Rosberg. Then a couple of laps later Schumacher broke down.

Date: March 18, 2012 03:47PM
thnx Jim.
Date: March 18, 2012 06:00PM
Posted by: EC83
I definitely would've loved to see what Schumacher would've done if the car had lasted. I'm thinking he would've been right up with Lewis and Webber at the end of the race, maybe even in amongst them.

Date: March 18, 2012 06:57PM
Posted by: Slash
Yeah it was dissapointing to see Schumacher'ss car had a failure when all winter it was so reliable...

with the safety car regrouping them and his usual pace on last part of the grand prix he would've been on attacking mode.. but hopefuly Mercedes keep the pace and we'll se him battlyn in Malaysia

also from the PC

Q. (Paolo Ianieri – La Gazzetta dello Sport) Jenson, three victories in four years, you will probably apply for Australian citizenship, but how different were these victories compared to the two others that you had here in Melbourne?

JB: It's very different to 2010 when there were obviously strange conditions, a wet start and then drying out. Yeah, very different to 2010. Compared to 2009, I was on pole that time but the race…

SV: … it was too easy for you in 2009

JB: 'Too easy', let's not talk about that, eh? 2009 was good, yeah, but still in the last stint I was struggling in 2009, because the tyres were obviously working very differently but this time, all the way through the stints the car felt good.

LMAO
Date: March 18, 2012 07:28PM
Posted by: marcl
Was a good race.

Great start and early laps by Button.

Not sure what was up with Lewis he just had no pace.

Mclaren have said both were in fuel saving mode with Button more marginal than Lewis.

Vettel did well to come back, but got lucky with that safety car.

If Mclaren were holding back I hate to think what advantage they actually did have today.

Great drive by Alonso, as for Massa if things don't get better I cannot see him being there mid season he was really bad.

Some other great drives going on today as well.

Think it will be a great year going by today.
Date: March 18, 2012 09:42PM
Posted by: ZaZ
Kimi did the same as his debut 11 years ago.
Back then Melbourne was also the first race and he also finished 7th if i remember correctly.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: March 18, 2012 10:27PM
Posted by: chet
I went the whole day without hearing a single thing, despite being a pub with sports news, and a bunch of friends who really wanted to, and could have ruined my day!

Got home, put the race on and was blown away. I was worried after qualifying Jenson would be finishing behind Lewis, albeit close... Instead what I got to see was pure, and utter Button domination! How often do we get to say that? Domination over Lewis, domination over Vettel... all in the dry.

To say I was on edge every lap is an understatement. Watching that gap to Lewis grow, and grow was something I thought I would almost never see! A constant gap, maybe but that was a real special drive!

When the SC was deployed my first thought was, RBR could pit and lead because of the speed limit on the cars, I was grateful it was only 1 Mclaren who lost out! Unlucky really :(. After Vettel's drive prior to that I then thought Button would be toast and Vettel would pass and win.

There was often that argument that if Mclaren ever had a dominant car, Button would... dominate. Many said no, and that Lewis would simply drive away. I am not saying either way, but today was certainly an indication that if Mclaren give Jenson what he wants he is MORE than capable of delivering the goods. This stat says it all for me today, Jenson +1, Lewis -2.

Pastor.... As Parr said, let's look to the positives. But still, when will Williams EVER get the chance to race Alonso??? I can't see it happening again tbh. Poor mistake,but till then he was so quick, and so reserved with Alonso. He had driven an amazing race IMO but a brain fade and obvious lack of concentration gave the result he got :(.

Nico - Poor. Schumacher this weekend has looked AMAZING! The has been pushing every lap, every corner, deffo an excited Schumacher. I can't help but feel if Schumacher had stayed in the race he was looking at a podium fight with Lewis and Vettel.

The mid field looks like a mine field !!!!! Will be awesome to watch how it progresses each race! STR, FI, Williams, and Sauber SUPER, SUPER close! it's amazing!!!

Good race for Glock too, quietly kept up with the Caterhams, even ahead at one point. He needs a better car.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 18, 2012 10:27PM
Posted by: EC83
ZaZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kimi did the same as his debut 11 years ago.
> Back then Melbourne was also the first race and he
> also finished 7th if i remember correctly.

He finished 7th on the track, yeah, although it became 6th after Panis got penalised.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2012 10:28PM by EC83.
Date: March 18, 2012 10:45PM
Posted by: gav
4 cars separated by 0.390 at the end. Once we get the next 3 Tilke tracks out of the way, it's looking like a good season. :)

Good to see RBR can keep up with McLaren in the race too. If the season plays out as this weekend did, and McLaren have the qualifying edge and RBR can keep their tyres in check a touch longer, it's looking like a great recipe for some classic races.
Date: March 18, 2012 10:58PM
Posted by: mortal
Reddit rant on the Aussie coverage!

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: March 19, 2012 01:21AM
just wanted to ask 2 questions dear f1 fans !!!

1) are f1 drivers still loosing about 5 kg weight per race

2) is formula 1, one of the most exausting sports regarding how much physical effort a driver needs to put in
Date: March 19, 2012 02:10AM
Posted by: geoff
mortal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reddit rant on the Aussie coverage!

Thanks for the link. Hilarious and deserved!
Date: March 19, 2012 02:17AM
Posted by: Slash
as far as i knew it was 3 kg per race

and the second question, absolutely...

i've driven some races in gokarts and i'm not professional but yoy feel the gforces, even as minimum as they are, to exhaust you..

in a F1 car, the gforces are extreme, not only that but they experience them for more than 300kms, add to that the focus and the concentration they need to keep the car inside the whitelines add to that the other cars they need to compete and managing the whole tyre-engine thing.. so besides being a physycal exhausting sport is probably more demanding mentaly than anything else

someone once said that an F1 driver could hold 14 rounds of boxing and probably more.. tbh i don't consider that to be crazy, they probably could.

remember these guys spend 4hrs daily on the gym just to hold the geforces of driving the car

ps: i remember back in early 00's some drivers from CART series and IRL tested F1 cars and they all commented on how exhausting they where after 4 laps iirc Dixon was one of them, and these guys are professional racing drivers, Castroneves, Franchitti, they all said the same... imagine being a professional driver and thinking you're fit enough as they probably are and all of a sudden you try an F1 car and after 4 laps you have to stop because you can't hold it anymore?.. that's crazy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2012 02:25AM by Slash.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy