Let's speculate a bit

Posted by mitadumapaga 
Re: Let's speculate a bit
Date: March 05, 2012 08:22PM
Posted by: Slash
Michael just made wins look too easy, he made competition look weak and if nobody could match him... it was 16 years his first carrer and many names in that era are legends that will be remembered forever, Hakkinen, Raikkonen, Alonso, Villeneuve, etc.. the guy fought against 3 or 4 generation of drivers, if you analize the championships and races it was Michael who made the difference, behind him there were fiercy battles going on and imho, if Mercedes gives him a car capable to fight for wins, i'm sure he can battle against this generation of drivers, beat them? don't know, Vettel looks extremely effective but i'm sure he'll give the others some headaches
Date: March 05, 2012 08:32PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Schumacher never really fought against a great group of drivers though. It was usually a one-on-one situation for each of his title wins (except 2001-2004, where he was a dead cert to win)

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 05, 2012 08:55PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Hakkinen was epic tbf.
Date: March 05, 2012 09:05PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Yeah, what I meant was that Schumacher never had to fight against 2 or more drivers for the title. '94 and '95 was against Hill, '97 was against Villeneuve, '98 and '00 was against Hakkinen. There weren't the 5 ex-champions that Vettel has to duke it out with for glory.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 05, 2012 09:42PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
true that...but actually that was the situation then. i cant recall a season (other than 1986) where 3 drivers fought for the title. senna vs prost, mansell vs piquet, lauda vs prost, mansell vs senna. I dont think that fighting against only 1 guy should underestimate the achievement of schumacher or anz of the above mentioned.
Date: March 05, 2012 11:02PM
Posted by: EC83
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree that it's too early to call. For one thing
> in Alonso, Hamilton, Button & Raikkonen he has
> stiffer competition than Schumacher had for much
> of his career.

Well, he did race against those guys last year(we can discount Kimi for now since he won't be in a top car this year) and he still achieved Schumacher levels of domination.

Date: March 05, 2012 11:39PM
Posted by: gav
Incident 2k9
There weren't the 5 ex-champions that Vettel has to duke it out with for glory

To be fair, in an average season, I think currently you'd be looking at one of the McLaren drivers (it's unlikely we'll have both again - normally one will emerge the stronger as the season progresses) and Alonso if Ferrari pull their fingers out. Unless they've secretly come up with a world beater, then Kimi isn't going to be challenging for the title, Schumacher is unlikely to be anywhere in the grand scheme either, and I can't see Webber challenging for another title while he's at Red Bull (or anywhere else to be perfectly honest).

Unless we've all second-guessed testing completely wrong, then I think realistically, you're looking at Vettel vs Button vs Hamilton at best this year, and the situation is unlikely to change over the years. 2010 was a freak year.
Date: March 06, 2012 03:12AM
@ Gav:
I'm thinking the situation we have at the top of F1 right now is probably more reminiscent of the situation in the 80s. Vettel is reminding me of Senna, Alonso is reminding me of Prost(although he's more motivated), Webber reminds me of Mansell(although he's less motivated), Hamilton reminds me strikingly of Piquet and Button(Certainly since he joined McLaren) is reminding me of Lauda.

Basically there's less of a clear divide between the top driver and his closest challengers than there was when Schumacher was at his peak, and they all seem to have their strengths in different areas, but the top guy is still able to dominate in a pretty commanding way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2012 03:12AM by EC83.
Date: March 06, 2012 01:59PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> Yeah, what I meant was that Schumacher never had
> to fight against 2 or more drivers for the title.
> '94 and '95 was against Hill, '97 was against
> Villeneuve, '98 and '00 was against Hakkinen.
> There weren't the 5 ex-champions that Vettel has
> to duke it out with for glory.

I guess he did in 2003 with Raikkonen and Montoya.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 06, 2012 03:01PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Did you guys read this? [www.formula1.com]

Apparently, Ferrari is not satisfied at all with their car. They even prohibited both drivers from talking with the press between the tests and the first race. Things are not very good in Maranello camp it seems, heh.
Date: March 06, 2012 03:18PM
Posted by: J i m
They seem a bit irritable for sure but don't be too quick to write them off. This time last year McLaren for example was so unreliable they hadn't been able to do any race sims and knowledgable observers said that it looked like a handful on track. Yet they bounced back remarkably well and straight away were Red Bull's only real threat.

Ferrari could yet be in much better shape than many give them credit for and the downbeat interaction with the media could be a smoke screen.

Date: March 06, 2012 04:11PM
actually I do believe ferrari have problems. Last season was a complete disaster for them, so was 2009 and 2010, well they were in the hunt only because vettel had like 5 DNF's and screwed another 3-4 races himself (hungary and spa e.g.). Therefore ferrari would be absolutely keen on making it clear, if they'd build a good car over the winter. I guess they hadn't. And assuming they're bluffing doesnt make any sense either. Why would they bluff ? if a team had been strong in the past, they had always showed it. Brawn 2009, Red Bull 2010 and 2011 and so on. Therefore I think the team from maranello is in quite a trouble at the time.
Date: March 06, 2012 04:48PM
I'm not saying they're bluffing... I'm saying that things aren't nessacrily as bad as they seem right now.

Like I pointed out with McLaren last year, they had a bad pre-season with the result that the media and F1 fans alike were at panic stations. 1st race in and they're already comfortably P2 and sniffing at the heels of Red Bull yet if the testing results were anything to go by then they should have been midfield at best.

So sure Ferrari are dissapointed because basically they've had their most problematic pre-season for a while but you certiainly shouldn't write them off at any cost as they could yet turn up at Melbourne with a revised package or having made progress in understanding the car via their simulator and look quite handy afterall.

Besides your point about Red Bull & Brawn doesn't stack up. In 2009 Brawn only had a couple of days testing compared to their rivals... Since it was a brand new car with a different engine.. they were never going to do the minimum fuel underweight trick nor deliberately trundle around 3-5 seconds of their potential because understanding the car was far more important, Honda had basically bankrolled their season anyway so attracting sponsors wasn't immediately imperative. The Brawn pace was nothing other than genuine non nonsense right from the word go.

Red Bull neither hide nor gloryboat their form in testing either, they simply do their work. And anyway the impressions about their strength wasn't derived from glimpsing at the end of day laptimes... No... People noted how the car looked visibly better in the corners than it's rivals or how it could open the DRS flap earlier than other cars.. or how it put in consistent times during long runs. Little tell tale things like that which point to form much more than headline laptimes.

The conclusion is... You can't make conclusions from testing alone. The 1st show of form will come in q2 & q3 at Melbourne, only after qualifying and the race will we have a pecking order and even then since Melbourne isn't exactly the atypical track it won't be completely representitive even then.. When they get back to Europe and when the first major upgrades appear is when a pecking order will settle down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2012 04:50PM by J i m.
Date: March 06, 2012 07:39PM
an interesting fact. in 2004 there was one one champion on the grid (this being schumacher). However with alonso, raikkonen, button all were there. plus massa and webber as well. Quite interesting. I guess after schumacher quit f1 in 2006 everyone started becoming a champion, whilst during his peak no one could even thing of it (alonso excluded).
Date: March 06, 2012 08:23PM
Add to that Schumacher was in his prime and in the best car... The others inexperienced very much in their formative years and/or in cars without a hope.

Date: March 07, 2012 12:07AM
Posted by: davidm
I think thats a key thing and that for 4 of his Ferrari titles Michael had the best car and perhaps more importantly the best tyre (almost bespoke to the Prancing Horse).
Date: March 07, 2012 07:39AM
I still think Ferrari are playing a reverse psychology game. I'm not saying they're likely to dominate in Melbourne, but I am saying they'll probably be much quicker than they're hinting at.

Date: March 07, 2012 10:42AM
davidm Wrote:
> I think thats a key thing and that for 4 of his
> Ferrari titles Michael had the best car and
> perhaps more importantly the best tyre (almost
> bespoke to the Prancing Horse).

Exactly that's the key difference.

When Schumacher raced with Senna, Prost & Mansell he was a rookie with untapped potential and had a car disadvantage. Mansell & Prost were veterans at or slightly past their peaks and with a significant car advantage with the Williams. Imola 1994 robbed us of a great rivalry Senna v Schumacher should have been epic.

Schumacher's titles in the Benetton were impressive because they were taken against the superior Williams, which is why ultimately we haven't classed either Hill nor Villeneuve as being a true threat to him. Schumacher himself only took Hakkinen seriously and in 98/99 the Mclaren was superior.

From 2000 when the Ferrari was at very least the equal of anything and usually the superior he won everything. Only in 2003 did he face a real threat from more than one driver, Kimi, Montoya & to a lesser extent Ralf. And that group of drivers were still relatively fresh and incomplete compared to Schumacher who was by then a veteran at his peak.

When Vettel won in 2010 there were 5 drivers in the championship race, (3 of them being recent champions). And that's the point... Schumacher never had that level of competition behind him (he briefly had it ahead of him Senna, Mansell/Prost). The last 2 or 3 years the spoils of F1 have been fought out between at least 5 drivers every race you couldn't rule out and a couple of others who could spoil the party if things went to them. In Schumacher's era he was the only driver in his league. Today.. that top league is a group that primarily consists of Vettle, Alonso & Hamilton (this is already a bigger spread of the mantle) plus there is Kimi, Button & Webber who can't be discounted whilst one or two others... could yet break into that group.

In Schumacher's era if in the pub someone asked "who is the best driver in F1?" it would be a rather short debate lasting about 5 seconds. Today? You could argue all night between Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton/Button and still not reach a conclusion. If that isn't greater competition at the top then I don't know what is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2012 10:47AM by J i m.
Date: March 07, 2012 06:20PM
and we think vettel dominated the last season. Pfha. Yesterday i watched the 2004 australian gp. A pure "red wash" as brrundle called it. Schumacher could lap everyone (except rubens) had he wanted to. At the end he started lapping 4 seconds slower and brundle said he was still matching coulthard !! Now that is a dominance.

Vettel never had such an advantage. I believe he never will. And as for your arguments, Jim, i dont believe button or hamilton were driving lioke "competitive drivers" last season. To be honest, their car was the second best and could challenge for a win in probably 70-80 percent of the races. Its just jensons lack of pace in the most qualys and lewis' lack of looking after the tyres that costed mclaren so much. Same story in 2010. So, in my view one shouldn't rate button or hamilton as a lot better than the drivers that used to drive against schuey in the past (or at least from what they showed last year and in 2010). Massa and Webber aint that tough either. Actually only alonso and vettel are worthy defining as "true competition". Had alonso had this mclaren from 2011 i'd assume he would have taken definately more than just 3 wins, if not taken the whole championship further down the wire.
Date: March 07, 2012 08:12PM
Look... I'm not saying a Button is better than a Villeneuve for example... The point is that today we have many more genuine contenders for wins and the championship where as in Schumacher's day it was him and that's about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy